Hook length retaining systems...

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've been looking for something swish in this line to replace my now broken (home made) tied hook lengths 'box'.

I see from Google that many different types are available so I'm looking for some guidance as to what is the best for hooks (say) 12 up to 20 THAT GIVES THE BEST PROTECTION and OFFERS retention of hook lengths of differing lengths

I'm not a matchman BUT I am particular about how my hook lengths are stored. In reality I probably only tie a dozen or so at a time but with a decent box I would do more...

Preston Innovations do one but many others available.......................

Any help from those who use one would be appreciated

Thanks

sagalout

Reaction score
Difficult to eulogise about a hook link retaining system, the preston ones do what they say on the tin.

Steve2020

Reaction score
I like the old fashioned hook length wallets

Sent from mobile using tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't like rig wallets and I don't like boxes that only allow for hooklengths of certain sizes. The latter only seem perfectly suited to anglers fishing commercials to me. For that reason I'm still using ancient Daiwa hooklength retainers. I've never been particularly happy with the way the line is gripped to retain the hooklength though. For that reason I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these.

stevejay

Reaction score
MAP hook length box fits the bill....holds loads and the foam retaining system accommodates most lengths. Also has a useful pin and sliding rule to help tie hook lengths the same length.

Have seen them quite cheap recently in Go Outdoors.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I like the old fashioned hook length wallets

Me too, I just have a black fold over daiwa one. Nice light and compact for my waistcoat pockets.

Steve2020

Reaction score
Me too, I just have a black fold over daiwa one. Nice light and compact for my waistcoat pockets.

Those are the ones I use, they're just the job for me

ravey

Reaction score
I am a fan of hook wallets. I have a mixture of commercial ones, and some home made leather ones. Thge glassine paper packets can be bought from Ebay easily enough, although being a tight Yorkshireman by birth, I re-use...:eek:mg:

Terry D

Reaction score
I've just bought the new Guru hooklength box and think it's very good for hooklengths 3in, 4in, 5in and 6in. No fiddly catches to break as it's magnetic and it has a rubber seal to keep out water and moisture.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I've bought this Thread back as I'm now critically in need of a quality hook length retaining system....Since my OP I've 'managed' with what I had, but I really need to buy something fit for purpose, AND SOON !

My spec is still the same; The storage of home tied hook lengths particularly those of very small fine wire hooks/ fine lines combo for roach fishing which need, IMHO, to be perfect to be totally effective. Most hooks are way smaller than 14 although I have gone down to a 10 on occasions
Generally speaking I use hook lengths up to 12" long for most of my roach fishing and being a 'pleasure angler' have no need for DOZENS of pre-tied hooks readily available BUT I do want them spot on (straight and without kinks etc) when I come to use them !

Most, but not all, seem very big for what I need (which must fit into decent size rucksack) and the nearest I can see are either made by Preston or Guru although I have not handled either.............

So:
Something around 12" x 6" but minimal depth /thickness
Hold around two dozen hook lengths min
Hook lengths up to 12" - STRAIGHT AND NOT ROLLED AROUND FOAM OR SUCHLIKE !
Need to buy online

Terry D..........I see you purchased a Guru ( small ? ) box last year so any comment on use would be appreciated !
Sam Vimes.....I note you contemplated buying a Guru box as well ?

None of this stuff is a lot of money so I might buy two boxes for (say) size 14 and above and size 12 and below....It's the overall size and ease of use which is far more important to me !!!

ANY help on this greatly appreciated.

It may just help others as well.................

Thanks

ps I'm about to phone my local tackle shops to see what's on offer, but I'm not holding by breath ! May have to travel to see anything worthwhile but prefer online purchase based on 'hands on'.........................

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I use the Preston hook length boxes in both large and small sizes and have never had a problem with either of them.

Typically I carry 2 small boxes for different type and sizes of method hook lengths and 2 large ones for normal float fishing or normal feeder fishing.

The are light, inexpensive and actually do float if accidentally knocked into the water . . . . .

What more do we need?

theartist

Reaction score
I use the old Diawa spools. Like Sam says i'm not convinced about how they grip the line but i don't suffer snap offs at that point at anytime so they must be ok.

Because they can store almost unlimited hooklengths and fit in the jacket pocket easily I rate them.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
markhib..........Had a quick look at the Daiwa; Not too much info apart from ' Sections of foam hold hook ' and ' Foam set out at dedicated length ' ........

QUESTION FOR YOU
It seems the hook is pushed into the foam (?), BUT I cannot see how the other (loop) end is retained ??

I also have problems tying the hook length to a dead length (the experts make it look easy !) which is why I'm prevaricating over the Preston with 'fixed' pegs ......The Daiwa may be better for me.

Thanks for any additional help !

bracket

Reaction score
markhib..........Had a quick look at the Daiwa; Not too much info apart from ' Sections of foam hold hook ' and ' Foam set out at dedicated length ' ........

QUESTION FOR YOU
It seems the hook is pushed into the foam (?), BUT I cannot see how the other (loop) end is retained ??

I also have problems tying the hook length to a dead length (the experts make it look easy !) which is why I'm prevaricating over the Preston with 'fixed' pegs ......The Daiwa may be better for me.

Tee Cee. Dead length is easy. Tie the hook then hook it around one of the pegs on the Peston Box. Take the line around the other peg and pull for a little bit of tension. Trap the line with your thunb and forefinger at the back of that peg to the hold the loop, then remove it, whilst still nipping the line to hold the loop and tie a figure eight knot in the loop. The resultant length will be a fraction less than the distance between the pegs and that will tension the hook length and hold it in position. Pete.

markhib

Reaction score

QUESTION FOR YOU

Tony, it has fixed pegs (lots of them) for the loops and about 30-40mm of foam for the hook, so you can always keep the hooklength under a slight tension.
Also the larger wallet is 370mm in length, with the option to hook your hooklengths over the pegs for even longer ones.
Mark.