Method for attaching reel line to waggler rig

mattydem

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering how you go about attaching your waggler rigs to your reel line. I tend to go fishing very frequently but for only 1 or 2 hours a time so I don't want to always be tying and cutting knots. Did consider a clip swivel but clearly you don't want anything heavy above the float. Any ideas appreciated!

greenie62

Reaction score
What sort of setup are you using? What depth do you fish your waggler? (e.g. pellet/waggler - 1ft say, or river/trotting waggler at 3-14ft? )
Do you leave rod and reel threaded-up in a quiver?

Using a link-swivel attached to the end of reel line may be appropriate - the fact that it's above the float is not neccesarily a bad thing if you want to sink the reel line - saves you 'back-shotting it. You could thread a link-swivel or a 'quick-change' attachment on the reel line - above the hook-length fine link-swivel - to attach your float to, then just position it and shot up as required.

Don't know if that helps - but it may do depending on what you're using, where and how!
Cheers

Last edited:

mattydem

Reaction score
Just a 13ft match rod with a stradic fixed spool on the Upper Thames fishing for silvers with maggots at about 4-8ft. I suppose if I use a clip swivel right above the float I won't have much slack to take up when setting the hook.

Thanks for your reply - was really helpful

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 ----------

Also I don't leave my rod threaded up. This is why being able to unclip the reel line would be handy.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
any additional weight between your reel line and your terminal rig will cause the waggler to present a bait quite unnaturally.

The best you can do is to use the time-honored loop to loop knot to attach a ready rigged waggler to your main line.

Personally i don't bother using a iwnder for waggler rigs, even for venues I fish a lot, as I prefer to tie a new rig each time.

It is very quickly achieved and you can make the rig operfct for the conditions you are facing on the day rather than ise the rig you used last time out that may be unsuitable for the conditions.

Terry D

Reaction score
I have several waggler and stick rigs made up on pole winders and use loop to loop all the time without any problems. Loops are big enough to get the pole winder through.

derwentbob

Reaction score
I'm with Peter Jacobs on this one, rig fresh every time. It isn't like wagglers are the most complicated of set-ups. The closest I get to pre-rigging is to test the shotting and put the actual shot-load on the float in the form of coloured dots (red dot = SSG, orange = BB, yellow = No.1 etc.). I also have a scale on my rod in the form of dots painted at six inch intervals from the hook-keeper so if I know the depth of a particular swim I can get my float into the water with a minimum of setting up - I know the exact shotting and I can measure the rig depth against my rod. Since I tend to fish maybe a dozen different waters in rotation it means I don't have to keep dozens of different rigs set up.

However, if I did keep my rig on a pole winder then loop to loop would be the only way I would attach it, anything heavier would be asking for a tangle on casting.