Hampshire Avon first few days..

Chris Hewett

Reaction score
Hi, I've booked the first few days of season of and am going to fish some were on the Hampshire Avon..

The thing is I love a bit of trotting and am hoping for some Dace, Roach and Chub but I don't now if to go buy a great big load of maggot or use caster/hemp/pellet..

I know I may feed of the minnows and small fish if I keep feeding and feeding but after the 100 minnow it can get a bit boring, Any thoughts????

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The abundance of minnows is a sign of a river in good health, but I agree they can be a right nuisance.

You can either feed them off (although only usually for a short period of time, they always come back) or try using sweet corn, natural or flavoured instead of maggot.

As a change of bait then good old luncheon meat is also food for thought, and the Chub . . . . . .

The river local to me is back well within its banks and flowing at a good pace too with only a tinge of colour, so could be a good day on the cards.

aebitim

Reaction score
Minnows [excellent barbel bait], they tend to hang out when they feel they aint gonna get eaten, very difficult to be definitive as the Avon can be tricky, as ever dont forget the margins, dawn and dusk best times, bread is probably the winner, keep feeding keep moving.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Hi Chris,
The Avon is looking really good and hope you have good results. The dace seem to disappear in the summer these days and the roach are not widespread, although some stretches hold some good ones, so chub may be your best bet.
Personally I don't use maggots much at this time of year. I agree with aebitim that bread would be a good bet, especially if float fishing. If you are able to fish early morning or late evening then cheese would be my first choice bait and I often have good results only fishing short sessions. Although early and late are the most productive times I have also caught some very big chub on cheese in the middle part of the day, especially when it is hot and sunny. Sometimes lobworms have worked well for me during the day.
The maggots are usually better in the Autumn or in the last few weeks of the season.

guest61

Reaction score
Re: cheese, it may sound a little daft but I have never used it. Don't get me wrong, have done chub pushing 6lb on other baits so have never had reason to.

If I give it a go, any info on which cheese is best, and how to mount would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking dairy lea may be no good..

---------- Post added at 04:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 ----------

Minnows [excellent barbel bait], they tend to hang out when they feel they aint gonna get eaten, very difficult to be definitive as the Avon can be tricky, as ever dont forget the margins, dawn and dusk best times, bread is probably the winner, keep feeding keep moving.

Noticed this as well, news to me but sounds good I have had follows on spinners but never actually had a barbell hit one, are minnows a potentially serious bait? assuming live bait. would also be open to other species I guess which would be a bonus

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there Dave, good to see you posting . . . . . . .

A few of us will be down at Britford on Wednesday if you get a chance to pop down and say hello . . . . .

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Hi Peter
Hope you have a good day on Wednesday, the river looks great. I can't make it as I have already arranged to fish on Wednesday. I will be on the stillwaters until the Autumn but will be doing a bit on the rivers from October onwards.
Just on my way for a crucian and tench session now.