maggot feeder

alan andrews

Reaction score
Hi I am going to fish a maggot feeder bolt rigged for tench when starting the session what length of time between casts would you advise any help would be great .many thanks Alan

B

binka

Hi Alan,

I think there are quite a few variables in the answers to your question depending on the nature of the water you’re fishing and the bottom contour you’ll be fishing over.

I’m no tench expert but think some things could be applied generally… if the fish in the particular water you are fishing tend to roam around then I would probably opt for dead maggots with a plug of groundbait and sit it out until they come along knowing that a minimal amount of feed will be waiting on the deck, I can’t see the point in repeatedly piling bait in where there are no fish at certain times unless there's a particularly large head of tench in the water and you need a carpet of feed ready to greet them.

Live maggots will almost certainly have spread out and burrowed away into the silt or below the gravel if you sit it out on those for too long.

If it’s a known holding spot then I would probably settle for around twenty to thirty minutes with live maggots on a little and often basis given that tench do like to grub around but any longer and I fear that the trail will have gone cold.

If using live maggots I would definitely try a flavour such as sweet molasses or krill on the maggots (despite my often sceptic view on flavourings) as this will carry on the maggots that have burrowed away and give the fish a clear signal that there's some snap to hold them up for a while and burrow away at whilst you hopefully pick a few off.

Likewise if fishing in weed then smelly maggots with maybe a couple of real ones on the hook popped up by an artificial buoyant one might just do the trick.

I hope there's some food for thought (pardon the pun!) in there somewhere which you can apply to your water.

Good luck with it…

paul80

Reaction score
Hi

If using live maggots then I would recast every 10 to 15 minutes, any longer and the only bait in the area would be your hook bait as the rest would have wriggled away or buried them selves.

Paul

paul1234

Reaction score
Will you be spodding/spombing over the top?if so and theres not many nuisance species,and a fair good head of tench i would leave it at least half hour maybe an hour,i generally cast more in the afternoon,that way i can introduce bait, without spooking any feeding fish,and change rigs etc,set the traps ready for the next feeding spell,id generally bait over the top with a spomb or 2 ,after each fish caught,or if i have no spomb ,just recast a loaded feeder every couple of minutes,just until i feel confident theres abit of bait on the bottom,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk