lets hear how you did

tilly05

Reaction score
I had a a session on the Don, by Fairfield pub, under/down by Hillfoot Bridge.
Had 2 fish on, 1 ran for the centre snags and came off. The second had a good scrap came into view and then let go and swam to the margin. Sure I could hear it chuckling at me.
Had a steering wheel float past me brightened my slow day a bit.
Next week is the rother, saw a stretch up off Canklow way that is calling for me to go and blank on :)

The Sogster

Reaction score
I did and yes. :)

Just got back, I fished the Don and had some nice chub and bream, a few perch and some dace also.

The Runner

Reaction score
I did, yes
Hard work down on the Colne in Uxbridge. No sign of any barbel but had an unexpected bonus bream of 8-2 from the main river (Unexpected as I can count the number of bream I've even heard of in 25 years from the main river on this stretch on my fingers). Had a few hours in the afternoon on the float in the backwater for a smaller bream and a chub just under 5 as well as some dace and chublets.
Moved back to the main river for last two hours on a big lump of meat but not a sign.
Think only one barbel came out today and apart from me think there were only this, three or four chub in total and a big eel.
Typically, the river had a nice tinge of colour over the weekend but all gone today.

john step

Reaction score
Fished an easy still water where I could be extremely lazy and park the car close by. I will avoid the Trent for the first week due to...
.1. Reference to a previous thread about the camping out for days to bag a swim,
2. Appointments
3. Getting caught up in the traffic chaos they call the the Lincolnshire Show.
I am sure they organize the show this week just to be awkward!!

jimlad

Reaction score
I had a great time.

The alarm was set for 3.30am- but I was awake from 3.00am. I had a bit of a journey ahead of me, with the walk to the peg being more than a mile away from the nearest parking spot, I could more or less guarantee I wouldn't see anybody else on the river tees.

Usually on opening day, I get all excited, lob a big pellet in knowing that I'm guaranteed a tees barbel, and end up blanking. So this season, I decided to guarantee some sort of success by fishing the stick. Tackle was a drennan acolyte, Preston pxr 3000 reel, and 4.9lb supplex (as I was hoping to hook to decent chub), to a size 18 kamasan b911x. I had brought 3 pints of maggots and 2 of caster.

IMG_0519_zpsdd8e5342.jpg

It didn't take long to start catching roach and dace, and this seemed to be all I was catching for an hour or two. I decided to step up the feed, feeding a dozen maggots before, during and at the end of each trot. This had the desired effect, and a nice 1lb grayling was soon in the net. This was released back into the river rather than kept in the net...

IMG_0516_zpse3c24dcb.jpg

This was followed by more dace and roach, and the odd decent perch.

I wanted some chub, and the maggot didn't seem to be working. I decided to stop casting for half an hour and trickle in a pint of casters gradually. First cast through, and the plan clearly worked as I struck into something solid and determined. A 4lb 3oz chub...

IMG_0521_zps1c78362c.jpg

No more chub were forthcoming, so a switch back to maggot soon had grayling, trout, perch, dace and roach in the net.

IMG_0520_zps07442a24.jpg

IMG_0525_zps463573f7.jpg

A switch back to caster again, after half an hour of baiting, brought 2 more chub, one of them 4lb 3oz the other about 2lb. Fought brilliantly on the float rod.

IMG_0524_zps90b71be3.jpg

And after more dace, perch and roach, I decided to call it a day at about 2pm. I finished off with 22lb 4oz of fish, which to me is a good river weight. Really enjoyed being back on the tees.

IMG_0530_zpse188e7f8.jpg

IMG_0526_zps03d1af01.jpg

IMG_0532_zps8e14c5bb.jpg

The long walk home.....

IMG_0535_zps9b1f461f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not been on the rivers yet, don't usually start until September (like the summer tench and crucian fishing) then fish them 'till the end of the season. This season I have access to three new stretches of approximately one mile each (together with the many long term usual stretches of local rivers) so I'm going to get some early sessions in to exploit, or should that be explore;), to get the feel of them..............

jimlad

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more! I'll be doing a lot more of it over the coming weeks and months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ravey

Reaction score
That's a lovely mixed catch of fish. My first session for over three months will be this coming Thursday. Not sure what to expect on the middle trent.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Fished the Kerne Bridge beat (wye and usk) on the wye, started just before 5am and had a bite first cast which I missed... then three consecutively that I didn't, all chub. My mate turned up at 6.30 and he proceeded to show me how it's done, we both ended up with 15 chub each (all between 2 and 4 pounds) and he added an eel and a cheeky pike that grabbed his pellet on the retrieve. But no barbel.... a little bizzare, but when you spend a nice day on a river that's fishing well, what more do you want. Best first day for several years!!

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I had a a session on the Don, by Fairfield pub, under/down by Hillfoot Bridge.
Had 2 fish on, 1 ran for the centre snags and came off. The second had a good scrap came into view and then let go and swam to the margin. Sure I could hear it chuckling at me.
Had a steering wheel float past me brightened my slow day a bit.
Next week is the rother, saw a stretch up off Canklow way that is calling for me to go and blank on :)

Will have to come and show you how to catch fish on the don and rother mate, easy when you know how ;)

harry trotter

Reaction score
had my first ever trip to the Wye on 16th and 17th. thanks to all the advice from forum members I enjoyed myself immensely. The river was fairly low and relatively clear with a good flow, however with pike very active ( bitten off six times in three different swims ) I struggled on the 16th. On the 17th I fished a different stretch, that was much less of a tackle graveyard. Because living in Essex I don't get much of a chance to fish for Barbel, I had gone equipped only for whiskers and didn,t want to be side tracked by other species. The end result of a blisteringly hot day was 9 chub to 4lbs, 3 eels to 3lb, and mission accomplished, 2 barbel of 8lb all the fish were in fantastic condition and along with the setting,( kingfishers, buzzards, herons, etc.) I headed home very tired but very happy. To all the very lucky people who can fish the Wye on a regular basis, I really hope you appreciate what a treasure you have.

aebitim

Reaction score
A couple of days on the Wye with the usual suspect in tow looking for his first river barbel, perfect trip in every respect and even caught some barbel, along with chub and the odd other. The barbel were showing recent spawning marks. Highlights of the trip was the abundance of wildlife and the perch attacking the shoaled up minnows that were feeding on the spilt groundbait under our feet. Drank far too much beer and stayed up way too late.

symonh2000

Reaction score
Caught myself a 11lb 8oz Barbel from the river Windrush.

Considering many people think there are no Barbel in there anymore I think it was pretty good.

First coarse fishing trip of the season too.

10447383_634956986595207_5647207078278488039_n.jpg

cg74

Reaction score
Caught myself a 11lb 8oz Barbel from the river Windrush.

Considering many people think there are no Barbel in there anymore I think it was pretty good.

First coarse fishing trip of the season too.

10447383_634956986595207_5647207078278488039_n.jpg

Top angling Symonh, the truth is many say there are no barbel in the Windrush because they're to lazy to go and find them once their hotspots no longer produce...

Trust me though, it's not the river it once was but flip side to having less, is they're bigger!

symonh2000

Reaction score
Yeah I am pretty sure there are plenty still in there, just they have moved compared to where they used to be.

I actually caught it in a spot which I had never fished before, but I guess I will be going back there again. ;)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Fished one of my favourite local ‘wild’ small river stretches today – wonderfully overgrown as usual until the autumn. Stalked the near bank for chub – no monsters in here (as far as I know) but great fun for fish to about five pounds.

f22_zpsb012b4e7.jpg

andreagrispi

Reaction score
26 fish today including 21 tench, all over 5lb with 5 over 7lb and a further 3 over 8lb up to 8lb 14oz