Would you fish it?

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
If someone dug a circular or oval shaped fishery with the water being pumped round a central island at a constant speed 24/7.
4 to 6ft deep with a gravel bottom, planted with ranunculus and rushes, so to all intents and purposes it resembled a river. Then stocked it with the usual suspects.
Would you have a go?

Last edited:

smudger172

Reaction score
can we have a bridge over it please. And while we are having a lucy in the sky moment is it a day ticket water or syndicate. Can you build it big enough to hold a fishing magic match on it. Please look at the ink blots and say what you see................. More coffee

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be totally honest, then, no!

I don't use golf simulators or skiing simulators so why go to what would basically be a fishing simulator?

Three of the moderators had a nice day on the Hampshire Avon at Britford yesterday, not much in the way of fish; a few dace and a mass of minnows but that was 1000% better than what would be a commercial river

We fished the new course and were very surprised to see only about 6 cars (including ours) in the car park on the first week of the season.

There are still a lot of Trout in the old course apparently having chatted to a chap from Kent who had had 40-odd in 2 days

mick b

Reaction score
I wouldn't fish it simply because it would be so un-natural.

To me there is so much more to river fishing than just moving water, gravel and a few water plants.

It is difficult to explain precisely but when Im fishing a river I feel so more connected to the natural world than I do on a stillwater.

Perhaps its why I often spend more time looking than fishing.

Peter, if your thinking of it as a commercial venture then Im sure it would appeal to the younger element, as a step-up or graduation from the commercial carp venues where many of them seem to begin their angling careers these days.

It might also provide a river type fishery for disabled anglers which Im certain would be highly appreciated.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I said to Hannibal Lecter only the other evening after he had strapped me to the operating table, "Feel free to slice off my limbs without anaesthetic then eat them in front of me ... read my lips - when do they go, by the way? - I will not fish that hypothetical hellhole.".

beerweasel

Reaction score
Not my cup of tea, sounds like an expensive way to get round the close season.
I do think an "S" shaped lake (no flow) would make for an intimate trout fishery.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I fish rivers, canals, and commercials and to me there's still an element of snobbery in the "Me fish a commercial? - perish the thought vicar" views

Personally - if a muddy puddle in the middle of the road held fish I've have a go fishing it

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
a lot to do with snobbery by some , maybe not you Paul but I'd happliy fish a commerical one day and a river the next - ok one maybe easier than the other but then again go o nthe Trent and fish one of the going swims and you can catch barbel but people still do and think they are top rods - funny you don't see many of these of a small river like the rother that holds a few barbel

Ben Haigh

Reaction score
I would definitely have a go.

To be honest, though, i cant see how it would be economically viable. It costs a lot of money to move the kind of water you're talking about. You would have to charge a high ticket price, and have a lot of custom, just to cover costs. What kind of flow level would you want to achieve?

Average depth of 1.2 mtrs, width of 15mtrs, track length of 100mtrs, works out at 1,800,000 litres. Thats 400,000 gallons. Theres no cheap or easy way to move that kind of water. Especially not maintaining any real kind of flow.

But, saying that, theoretically, i would fish it. Why not? I'm game to try fishing anything once. I'm no great lover of match type commercials, but its not the place that puts me off, its every bloody f1 looking pretty much identical that does it. The pleasure type commercial, which still holds stock variety, are great ways to spend a day, and not always as easy as everyone makes out.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
everything to do with dwindling numbers and resulting commercial desperation
In a nutshell. 6 cars at Britford? How long before so few fish the rivers that the land owners can't see the point of renting fishing rights? We are ageing and dwindling fast. Largely a bunch of Grumpy Old Men. Politically irrelevent.

On the subject of the thread, no I wouldn't. A few degrees too artificial for my taste. I've no problem with the basic concept of a commercial, ie making money, I have a real problem with the concept of fish having nowhere to get away, over pressured (there are natural rivers (usually a particular fish) that have the same problem) but most of all, when the numbers of fish is higher than the water can naturally support, therefore they HAVE to eat our bait.

Just a personal view, I don't want them banned, if you enjoy fishing them, more power to your rod!

Stu

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes. I'm reminded of the words of the lovely actress Katharine Ross to her two cowboy-bandit beaus, on leaving them, knowing they were about to go to their deaths, in the film, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, that I watched several times as a kid - something along the lines of: "I don't want to be there when you do....". Best not to be part of a messy, self-induced, fighting over nothing to the last, endgame.

stu_the_blank

Reaction score
Yes. I'm reminded of the words of the lovely actress Katharine Ross to her two cowboy-bandit beaus, on leaving them, knowing they were about to go to their deaths, in the film, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid, that I watched several times as a kid - something along the lines of: "I don't want to be there when you do....". Best not to be part of a messy, self-induced, fighting over nothing to the last, endgame.
Great film. You packing it in then Paul?