Rod and reel question

rincon60

Reaction score
Hi!

So after 20 years of hardly coarse fishing at all (been mainly fly fishing with a bit of sea) I want to get back into it. Trouble is I'm on a tight budget.

I'm looking for a match rod that will handle good sized tench, carp on smaller match waters, chub etc and a reel to go with the rod.

Ideally I need to keep in the £100 bracket

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks!

guerrillafisher

Reaction score
If you have been fishing (fly and sea) can you get any advice from your local tackle shop? There must be some anglers working there and may have good knowledge of the local waters that you will be (presumably) fishing most often ie no need for a 13 footer if casting to puddles from tight swims, my local tackle shop is the fountain of all my knowledge and have never steered me wrong on a purchase!, if you are one of the many who no longer have a local tackle shop then your best allies may be other local anglers, my local is mainwarings in Swansea and do have an online department, although I have never bought online from them they do list they're telephone number online and I have found them as helpful on the phone as face to face!

rincon60

Reaction score
I went to our local tackle shop which I think is now one of the biggest chains in the country, angling direct. Honestly they could care less about me only having £100 to spend, you only get their attention of you want to spend £2000 on carp gear or have been sent by aviva as the they handle there insurance claims.

There are a couple of smaller shops which I'm very happy to by from but don't hold the range to look at options, hence here I am seeking advice from people who actually fish!

Cheers all

john step

Reaction score
Hi!

So after 20 years of hardly coarse fishing at all (been mainly fly fishing with a bit of sea) I want to get back into it. Trouble is I'm on a tight budget.

I'm looking for a match rod that will handle good sized tench, carp on smaller match waters, chub etc and a reel to go with the rod.

Ideally I need to keep in the £100 bracket

Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks!

With the explosion of commercials in recent years the rods to deal with lumpier fish(mainly carp) has also increased.

If you had a standard match rod in mind (from your previous experience) it would be under gunned for the type of fish you mention.

Budget wise, there are so many rods that would cope.
May I suggest an Avon type rod. These come with a standard top for float fishing and an alternative top with built in quiver tip for ledgering.
Until you get more experience with your choice of venue etc, it would do everything.(JW wilson, JRC,Shakespere)

A 40 size reel would cope with just about everything. So many on the market. Go for a recognised make in the budget range.
ALSO change your tackle shop!!!! Hope this helps.