Help a reclusive angler

kirky

Reaction score
I'll be moving [Bulford] Wiltshire later this year and was wondering what have I got to look forward to? I'm particularly interested in river fishing. Any info would be most welcome.

Regarding reclusive, just read 'doesn't need company'

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hardly the best way to ask for assistance, if you 'can't be arsed' to help yourself why should anyone else 'be arsed' to help you? It's not as if you will 'be arsed' to reciprocate is it.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Hampshire Avon skirts Bulford Camp but most of the stretches above Salisbury are private, and many of those are fly only.

A few miles away from Bulford at Amesbury however there is a free stretch of the river at Lord's Walk but it only has car parking for about 3 cars. The nearest tackle shop is in the village and is combined with a cycle shop.

The local clubs and associations have the rights for many stretches of the Avon and the Stour, the best known ones being:

Trout Fly Fishing and Coarse Fishing with the Salisbury and District Angling Club

Christchurch Angling Club

Ringwood & District Anglers Association

Downton Angling club, but they don't have a website

Hope this helps.

nicepix

Reaction score
Hardly the best way to ask for assistance, if you 'can't be arsed' to help yourself why should anyone else 'be arsed' to help you? It's not as if you will 'be arsed' to reciprocate is it.

Totally agree. I've given loads of information about venues and methods to interested parties. But I wouldn't respond to a request like this one.

kirky

Reaction score

Good point, cheers.

---------- Post added at 07:55 ---------- Previous post was at

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ha, good edit on the original post. Perhaps I was a little harsh last night, it's no excuse but my arthritis has flared up and I was in a lot of pain which made me a bit grumpy.

mick b

Reaction score
Kirky,
I suggest you have a drive around when your settled in and use Google Earth to follow the rivers, download the parking areas into a GPS navigator and your good to go.

Personally I would rather not cast a line than fish near others, so I seek out the remote sections which can only be accessed by a long walk.

Most anglers want to fish rather than walk and 1/2 mile seems about their limit from my experience.

You will need to refine your gear and get some decent footwear if you don't have it already, but you will keep yourself fit and maybe catch a few fish that haven't seen an anglers bait for years.

jack sprat

Reaction score
The upper Bristol Avon at Melksham isn't that far away and far more accessible than the upper Hants Avon which only really becomes accessible at and below Salisbury.

kirky

Reaction score
All good points, and thanks. The edit was required as I have no other excuse than too much red wine when writing the original post.

Google maps sounds like a good plan and stretching the old legs and simply searching shouldn't be too much of a chore.

Thanks again.