Wallis Casting??

Reaction score
I wrote an article about it for Angling Magazine in 1978 or '79 which was considered pretty good by others but nearly killed me writing it

Is this an example of what has become known as 'humble bragging'? I understand it was recently added to the new OED (I don't own a new copy yet).

And don't get all holier-than-thou, I am the anointed / Special One, precious about it once you have. K.I.S.S.

And why would anyone do that? :confused: It's just casting.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is this an example of what has become known as 'humble bragging'? I understand it was recently added to the new OED (I don't own a new copy yet).

And why would anyone do that? :confused: It's just casting.

Ah yes, Mr C-C, our resident Chippy Northern Nobody and all-round boomholay.

Time for me to "flounce" for a spell.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Firstly lets get over a few myths. the "Light Float Cast in the Nottingham Style" as it was entitled by FWK Wallis and nowadays known as the Wallis cast is not difficult it is easily learned by small children and ladies but then they are more inclined to listen!
Middle aged and older men tend to find it a tad more difficult as they don't tend to listen!
you do not need any special rod or line or even dare I whisper it a super dooper centerpin a fairly basic one will do.

To make life even easier to learn this cast I have for many years travelled up and down the country giving demonstrations and teaching the cast I still do this.....
The next opportunity will be at the Midlands Game Fair at Weston Park in September all are welcome to come if anyone can't make that I can be contacted via the site and if you are prepared to come to God's own county of Lancashire the I am prepared to teach you. what i do ask is that you then pass the knowledge on to someone else so that hopefully the skill can be passed on to all those who wish to learn

In describing this cast, I am going to assume that the angler is using float tackle and, as is common with this sort of set up, has a tell tale shot set around 4" to 9" away from the hook.

Here is a section on the cast which is part of a more general article on fishing with a pin.
Sadly the photos won't come across.

"For a right handed angler he should, in the first instance, be stood facing either up stream or down stream, whichever gives him best advantage.

The reel should be placed in the normal place on the rod butt near the top of the butt. The rod should be held so that the handles of the reel face upwards. The right hand should hold the rod close to the reel, so that the thumb of the right hand rests on the rim of the spool of the reel.

The line from the tip ring of the rod should be long enough to allow the angler to be able to comfortably hold the bottom split shot of the rig with the left hand. This should be held by lightly trapping the shot with the little finger allowing the baited hook to hang free below the hand.

The thumb or the forefinger of the left hand should be placed in the loop of line between the reel and the butt ring and a little line should be drawn off. The amount of this line should be just enough to make the angler feel comfortable.

The angler should bring the rod up to chest height the tip pointing slightly behind him.

The Wallis Cast In Photos

Shot and hooklength trapped under little finger
Shot and hooklength trapped under little finger

The starting position of the hands
The starting position of the hands

Getting ready to cast
Getting ready to cast

The follow through - left hand returns to meet the right
The follow through - left hand returns to meet the right

Now For The Clever Bit!
The cast is made by dropping the shot that has been in the left hand and at the same time sweeping the rod forwards and upwards with the right hand to propel the tackle out. Also, at the same time as the rod is being swept forwards, the left hand should be drawn swiftly and smoothly backwards this action causes the loop to grow and sets the reel spinning.

The tackle should now fly out towards the area you wish it to land in. Whilst the tackle is in flight, keeping the line running over the forefinger (or thumb, if used), bring the left hand up to meet the right.

As the tackle lands, stop the spool spinning with the thumb of your right hand. This will prevent overruns.

Hopefully by now you tackle will be sitting prettily just where you want it to be!"

There are a couple off minor variations on the theme which I do demonstrate at the events I attend which will show you how to cast even in a real "parrot cage" of a swim without fear of getting tangled up
I hope that this helps ..... Don't be afraid to contact me I don't bite!
Cheers
Alan

Reaction score
our resident Chippy Northern Nobody

Ah yes, a nobody to you maybe, just as you are to me. The difference is you appear to think that we should think that you are somebody.

Otherwise, why take my lighthearted comment and question about an anglers attitude to casting other than the way they were intended. Why not just answer the question and enlighten me (and most likely others) instead of reverting to personal insults?

bennygesserit

Reaction score
What I want to know is what NASA was doing in Reading in the mid eighties and why they were so interested in Paul Boote's "brilliant" ( whisper it ) wallis cast , did it play some part in some , up to now , secret space program ? Maybe a method of catapulting vessels using the grav field of distant planets was developed and Paul showed them how , after all he does appear to be able to cast an awfully long way.

Anyway who cares centrepin fishing is only for posh lads ( only kidding )

Last edited:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Ah yes, a nobody to you maybe, just as you are to me. The difference is you appear to think that we should think that you are somebody.

Otherwise, why take my lighthearted comment and question about an anglers attitude to casting other than the way they were intended. Why not just answer the question and enlighten me (and most likely others) instead of reverting to personal insults?

He can't Matt , got to revert to running off for a while , and I like Paul Boote , he's an intelligent poster he can't take critisum

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I contacted Alan and asked him to post on here to explain the wallise cast since he really is a master at the cast, so surely you lot can stop falling out over nothing and at least take the time to read it since he's taken the time and trouble to write it.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw (attributed)

Reaction score
I contacted Alan and asked him to post on here to explain the wallise cast since he really is a master at the cast, so surely you lot can stop falling out over nothing and at least take the time to read it since he's taken the time and trouble to write it.

I read Alan's explanation tigger. It's very comprehensive and clearly written. He paints a good picture without the need for illustrations. He obviously knows his audience and how to write in a way that is easily understood by the majority.

---------- Post added at 15:27 ---------- Previous post was at 15:23 ----------

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw (attributed)

Once again reverting to form and slinging out the insults (yet you still seem to feel that you're the victim).

It was mentioned the other day on another thread, but I feel it appropriate that I should recommend you read Dale Carnegie's classic book...

The bad one

Reaction score
Alan is indeed the master of this art and watching Alan do it it is an art form in itself. His generosity, patience and devotion to this art is endless. Yes if you meet him on the bank and ask him to teach you how to Wallis Cast, he will! It’s that simple.
There are very few in Angling these days with that generosity of spirit, who asks for nothing for so doing, other than the pleasure of seeing other anglers participating in the art form he loves.

bigfish74

Reaction score
I just use a 20ft rod much easjer to swing the rig out on the pin ;)

Andy

trotter2

Reaction score
I have contacted Alan before and found him very informative and a real gent.
Highly recommended if your unsure on the wallis cast.:)

mick b

Reaction score
Many thanks Alan and far clearer than my effort.

I now understand where Im going wrong, "handles of the reel facing uppermost" :D

One question, what is your opinion that an ultra lightweight spool is an essential requirement for successful casting? :confused:

Thanks again. :):):)

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I now understand where Im going wrong, "handles of the reel facing uppermost" :D

One question, what is your opinion that an ultra lightweight spool is an essential requirement for successful casting? :confused:

And once you've "got it", you will be able to try the "Tunnel Buster" Wallis Cast with the reel vertical and the handles out to the side.

The T.B. is a very quick, sharp, underhand cast used to propel a tackle fast and low over the water and under a tunnel of low-ish branches to where you want it to land. Once you've really got it, you can can put even a swanshot or two plus a bait into places that only a nifty fixed-spool flick could get to. Had me a nine-pound barbel a few years ago in front of an elderly man walking a bit of river I was fishing, who had got chatting with me, then took me upstream twenty yards to a heavily overgrown entering sidestream and told me "There are barbel up there."

I flicked a a pellet plus a couple of shot, got a "Lovely. How did you do that?", and was into a fish before I could tell him.

Lovely man, an old-style barbel-fisher walking waters he had fished since he was a young man. Nice encounter and afternoon.

Angling is like that. Arguing and pointscoring is for mere hookers and, as I said earlier in this thread, for the hard of fishing.

mick b

Reaction score
Paul Boote;1310546 for the hard of fishing.[/QUOTE said:
:confused:

Actually Paul my thanks were directed towards Alan for his clear explanation and were in the first sentence of my post (which you cut from the quote).

You, as an acknowledged Master of the Wallis Cast were sadly unable to produce a clear description which I find difficult to understand given your unchallenged mastery of the English language.
However I do thank you for your description of the TB cast above.

Something I am completely at a loss to understand to what your reference 'the hard of fishing' refers or the definition of 'boomholay' which has defeated me entirely :confused:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not here for fat-chewing with anyone, Mick.

As an Angler, I've been thriiling today to some videos of salmon that are clearly "on something" - the fish of the rivers of the Gaspe Peninsula in Canada, waters that I'll never fish but who cares? - I'm no master, just a huge, life-long, fish, rivers and fishing enthusiast. What others choose to make of this or me is their "problem" not mine.

Watch some fine fish on this video then hit the Hooke Crew's page for some more.

Video Hatch: “Hooké à Gaspé!” | MidCurrent

Doing it, not chewing it.

Reaction score
And once you've "got it", you will be able to try the "Tunnel Buster" Wallis Cast with the reel vertical and the handles out to the side. The T.B. is a very quick, sharp, underhand cast used to propel a tackle fast and low over the water and under a tunnel of low-ish branches to where you want it to land. Once you've really got it, you can can put even a swanshot or two plus a bait into places that only a nifty fixed-spool flick could get to. Had me a nine-pound barbel a few years ago in front of an elderly man walking a bit of river I was fishing, who had got chatting with me, then took me upstream twenty yards to a heavily overgrown entering sidestream and told me "There are barbel up there." I flicked a a pellet plus a couple of shot, got a "Lovely. How did you do that?", and was into a fish before I could tell him. Lovely man, an old-style barbel-fisher walking waters he had fished since he was a young man. Nice encounter and afternoon. Angling is like that. Arguing and pointscoring is for mere hookers and, as I said earlier in this thread, for the hard of fishing.

You were doing so well Paul. You gave a comprehensive explanation of the TB cast, but then couldn't help making an insulting comment at the end.

And for the record no one had argued with you. Just asked a few questions that you seem to take exception to for some reason only known to you.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And once you've "got it", you will be able to try the "Tunnel Buster" Wallis Cast with the reel vertical and the handles out to the side.

The T.B. is a very quick, sharp, underhand cast used to propel a tackle fast and low over the water and under a tunnel of low-ish branches to where you want it to land. Once you've really got it, you can can put even a swanshot or two plus a bait into places that only a nifty fixed-spool flick could get to. Had me a nine-pound barbel a few years ago in front of an elderly man walking a bit of river I was fishing, who had got chatting with me, then took me upstream twenty yards to a heavily overgrown entering sidestream and told me "There are barbel up there."

I flicked a a pellet plus a couple of shot, got a "Lovely. How did you do that?", and was into a fish before I could tell him.

Lovely man, an old-style barbel-fisher walking waters he had fished since he was a young man. Nice encounter and afternoon.

Angling is like that. Arguing and pointscoring is for mere hookers and, as I said earlier in this thread, for the hard of fishing.

Paul, I often use that cast but i've never heard it called by that name....just another form of wallise cast to me.
Alan Roe taught me that cast also. It's is a very accurate cast and imo much more accurate than is possible with a fixed spool reel. The cast is perfect for enclosed swims. As you'll already know you can acheive quite long distances using the cast.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just a final word, as my patience with internet angling is now almost completely spent: I attack nobody on this site, I merely contribute some stuff that interests me, or try to help out with stuff that I might know a little about, and, above all, try to be part of a community of souls with a shared interest; I am not here to score Brownie Points or to show off.

However, when somebody decides to have a completely unwarranted swipe at me, however minor, then I WILL FRY THEM, not because I feel attacked or threatened by such unnecessary stuff but because I feel that Angling is worthy of much much better than just a bunch of ever-niggling and -carping, often done precious little, total ear'oles.

Time to leave you to make this site what you want it be, I reckon, chaps - a few of you, for me, are just too much hard work, spoil it for me being here and sharing a common love.