Wallis Casting??

Reaction score
Just a final word, as my patience with internet angling is now almost completely spent: I attack nobody on this site, I merely contribute some stuff that interests me, or try to help out with stuff that I might know a little about, and, above all, try to be part of a community of souls with a shared interest; I am not here to score Brownie Points or to show off. However, when somebody decides to have a completely unwarranted swipe at me, however minor, then I WILL FRY THEM, not because I feel attacked or threatened by such unnecessary stuff but because I feel that Angling is worthy of much much better than just a bunch of ever-niggling and -carping, often done precious little, total ear'oles. Time to leave you to make this site what you want it be, I reckon, chaps - a few of you, for me, are just too much hard work, spoil it for me being here and sharing a common love.

Paul

It would be very nice if you could show us were someone had an unwarranted swipe at you BEFORE you started slinging the insults.

Matt

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Many thanks Alan and far clear than my effort.

I now understand where Im going wrong, "handles of the reel facing uppermost" :D

One question, what is your opinion that an ultra lightweight spool is an essential requirement for successful casting? :confused:

Thanks again. :):):)

Mick, I know your question is directed at Alan but for what it's worth... my opinion is that an ultra lightweight spool is definatly not an essential requirment for successfull casting. I use quite a few different reels with varying spool weights and can cast pretty much as well with them all.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have had a lot of different pins over the years and most of them for me cast about the same, The longest caster was and still is the reel made from anglers net , the worst one was an adcock stanton 5 inch. All the others speedias , youngs, match aerials are approx the same (at least for me that is ). The anglers net reel is the longest spinner and requires less weight to get the reel spinning. In fact a single number 8 split shot turns the drum round, quite amazing really.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
Many thanks Alan and far clear than my effort.

I now understand where Im going wrong, "handles of the reel facing uppermost" :D

One question, what is your opinion that an ultra lightweight spool is an essential requirement for successful casting? :confused:

Thanks again. :):):)

Hello Mick
Tigger has answered the question beautifully followed by the equally excellent contribution by Trotter 2. CP spools come in varying weights and quite honestly in real fishing there is generally little to choose between them However as Trotter 2 pointed out the 5 inch Adcock stanton does not tend to cast as easily as the rest, you can cast with one but the timing is just a little different and it takes a bit of getting used to the smaller stantons are generally just fine though, indeed Tigger had a 41/2" one which used to cast wonderfully!
The cast that Paul describes is one of the Wallis variants that I teach and is a very simple and very accurate variant I call it the 'Parrot cage' version but it does allow you to fish in real Parrot cage swims and put out long accurate casts much more easily than you can with a fixed spool reel when I am fishing on the Severn that is usually the kind of swim I tend to get drawn to.

wooster

Reaction score
Well this thread seems to have gone round the houses a bit but I'm grateful for the response to my original question and the interesting track it has taken since then.

Thanks to you, Alan for contributing you knowledge and in a clear way. It's nice when someone who is known for their expertise in a particular sphere discusses it in a public forum.

Thanks also to everyone else who obviously have a great deal more experience and expertise than I.

I am most grateful to you all :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
2 mins 50-or-so secs into this all-action movie. Might be attempting the Wallis casting. So up himself.

[ame=http://youtu.be/CEFT2m01wsY]Funny 1984 Nebraska Fishing Forecast - YouTube[/ame]