Elastic strength for Roach and Small Carp

Reaction score
Its been some years since I fished with a pole. At one point most of my fishing was with my 11m Silstar Competition, although rarely at 11m bought around 28 years ago!).

Back then I could confidently fish for silvers with a light elastic knowing what I was going to catch. These days many waters are heavily stocked with 'match carp' between 3 to 6lb.

My questions are:

1. What is a good strength of elastic to compromise on - to avoid bumping off the silvers but with enough oomph to tame a 6lb carp?
2. Do you thick my Silstar pole is up to handling the carp (no bigger than 6lb?) - in the past I have caught tench and golden orfe to 5-6lb on it.

Matt

sam vimes

Reaction score
Outside the depths of winter, I'd rarely target even small carp with less than a 10 elastic. They'd have to be stonking roach for me to use any greater than an 8. To my mind you'd be better off deciding on what you are really after. Fish light and accept that the bigger carp are going to be difficult to extract. Alternatively, fish heavier and accept that you're going to bump some roach.
I'd also be quite wary of fishing too heavy with an old pole. The vast majority of poles of such vintage were not designed with modern commie fishing in mind. I recall being amazed at just how heavy a 12 elastic was back then as poles were usually out and out silver fishing tools. However, quite a few were a lot more versatile and stronger than their ratings ever suggested.

Especially with your pole in mind, I suspect that I'd be fishing no more than an eight with the added protection of a puller. I'd also be fishing light hooklinks with the expectation that the bigger carp are likely to be a struggle.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Outside the depths of winter, I'd rarely target even small carp with less than a 10 elastic. They'd have to be stonking roach for me to use any greater than an 8. To my mind you'd be better off deciding on what you are really after. Fish light and accept that the bigger carp are going to be difficult to extract. Alternatively, fish heavier and accept that you're going to bump some roach.
I'd also be quite wary of fishing too heavy with an old pole. The vast majority of poles of such vintage were not designed with modern commie fishing in mind. I recall being amazed at just how heavy a 12 elastic was back then as poles were usually out and out silver fishing tools. However, quite a few were a lot more versatile and stronger than their ratings ever suggested.

Especially with your pole in mind, I suspect that I'd be fishing no more than an eight with the added protection of a puller. I'd also be fishing light hooklinks with the expectation that the bigger carp are likely to be a struggle.

Sam has nailed this one perfectly for my money, especially the part about lighter hook lengths and the puller kit.

sagalout

Reaction score
Puller kit and Daiwa white hydro or NG white amber core or double up a solid 5. I use white hydro on a puller kit at the moment for a mixed fishery with lots of rudd to 1lb crucians to 1.5lb tench to 3lb and carp to 6lb. The white performs well but I would up it if fishing near snags.

Don't know nothing about your pole but I don't see why it won't be fine, oh no you need a maver carp elite series 2 and I know where you can get one for a £1000.

Oh, hang on I will just get the links for the elastic
NG Amber Core Hollow Pole Elastic 6-10, 1.8mm, White - Detailed item view - Float Store, NG Floats, The Best Hand Made Pole Floats UK, Hollow Pole Elastic.
and
Daiwa Hydrolastic (Various Sizes Hydro) | eBay

Reaction score
I just watched a Steve Ringer short on youtube. He was on the pole for skimmers and using a no 4 elastic and reckoned he would get the odd carp out that may turn up.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
He was on the pole for skimmers and using a no 4 elastic and reckoned he would get the odd carp out that may turn up.

. . . and no doubt he would then give 2 of them to his brother along with 5 loaves of bread to feed the 5,000 spectators?

Joking aside Matt, given a decent hook hold, not too many snags and a very decent pole then yes, a Carp can be landed on a size 4's elastic.

[insert U-No_wot > > > > > HERE]

sam vimes

Reaction score
I seem to recall landing a fifteen pounder on a six elastic many moons ago. However, it was more by blind luck than judgement and took an absolute age to get it into the net. I'd generally not want to hook a carp much over three pounds on an elastic less than an eight. I'm quite positive that Steve Ringer gets a fair bit more practice than I ever will and have no doubt he'll fancy his chances more with bigger fish on lighter elastics. Whilst he, and other top pole anglers, can handle it, I'd not rate my chances of landing too many 3-6lb+ carp on a four elastic and matched light hooklinks, even with a puller. For every bonus fish actually landed, I'd envisage getting to see an awful lot of elastic and quite a few floats coming back at high velocity.;):D

Reaction score
Well Peter's rule of thumb on a similar thread seems to work quite well.

If a 12 elastic is recommended for 'match carp' then the rule points to 6lb line.

Works for me.

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Depends if you're fishing in open water or to snags. A carp up to 6lb near a snag will rip through a 10 - 12 elastic. In open water I've landed low doubles on a solid 14.

I don't use it, (but am considering swapping) to NG Amber Hollow on a pulla bung. They are designed with fishing open water in mind and landing that "bonus fish". That being said they have been adapted and are fequently fished to snags/margins.

Personally I use an 8-10 Middy, for the majority of silver fish. I've landed carp to 6lb on it, but dear me, it was a struggle.

For Carp I go straight in with a 14, and have 16+ on my other top kit. I may swap out my 4 for a 12, but finding a happy medium might be trickyier than you imagine. I'd check out the NG Amber hollow.

sagalout

Reaction score
finding a happy medium might be trickyier than you imagine
This is one of the big downsides of pole fishing for me, but the accuracy of feeding, the presentation and the ability to hit the smallest bite have made for some brilliant days fishing for me this summer.

frederico

Reaction score
The most important thing to ensure in pole fishing for mixed species is to use balanced tackle. It would be no good using a 20 elastic and 2lb line as you will simply get smashed to pieces. Using balanced tackle you can land the vast majority of fish in a commercial as long as you take your time.

Balanced tackle is basically finding the 'balance' between your line, hook and elastic/rod. An example of the sort of tackle I would use for fishing for roach and small carp is blue/white (rated 5-8 for blue and 6-10 for white) hydro elastic with line no stronger than 4lb but no lighter than 2lb. Hooks can be anything from a size 20 upwards, but for roach and small carp I wouldn't imagine you'd often need to go above a size 14.

Hydrolastic is also available in yellow (3-5) and pink (4-6). You have a very good chance of landing carp on these elastics and they stretch for miles. Their endless stretch can however be their downfall when fishing near snags, where a solid elastic is better as it powers up faster and will give you a greater chance of turning the fish.

Another brilliant option when fishing near snags for a mixed bag is doubled up elastic. This is essentially a folded over length of solid elastic that for some reason powers up much faster than any other elastic. It also has the advantage of being very soft initially so less fish are bumped off, something that can be a problem when fishing for soft mouthed roach. An example would be a doubled up number 4 elastic: when initially hooking a fish it acts as a standard solid number 4, being very soft and forgiving, however as the fish moves away it will quickly power up, acting as a number 6, then an 8, and finally something around a 10; applying pressure on the fish much faster than a standard solid or hollow elastic, giving you better chances of turning any running fish.

I would always advocate using a puller bung on any elastic you use, as they allow you to tension the elastic yourself when you have the fish on a top kit.

Finally, carp don't fight as hard when they're hooked on a light elastic as they do on a heavier elastic. I once landed a double figure carp on a number 4 solid elastc that I managed to net when it was about a foot underwater. It just plodded around and that is usually the case with light elastic.

So the moral of the story is: use balanced tackle, a puller bung, and above all, take your time. There's no point hooking a fish and losing it simply because your rushing. Enjoy the fight and you can land surprisingly big fish.

greenie62

Reaction score
Thanks Frederico,
That's a really good reply with detailed information and logical reasoning. Well done!
I knew there would be a benefit to paying for all that sponsorship for you :rolleyes: - What! You've not had it! :eek: Must have the wrong banking details for you! My Nigerian Financial Advisor suggests I get you to send me your Bank Account details .......:cool::rolleyes:;)

Tight Lines! :thumbs:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I fish using Preston Dura Hollo and a Pulla Bung and can land Carp up to five and bump off only the smallest fish, though the very small ones barely pull the laccy out and the carp took a few minutes to land and I felt a little out of control at times.

The Hollo really stretches like mad !

If your pole is heavy that might cause you problems.

The laccy is the Preston Innovation Blue one but its rated as 14 online which sounds really high to me , I would deffo say hollo and a pulla is the way to go though.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:38 ----------

aaah its more likely the 8

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
I have a question concerning doubled elastic. Now, am I being daft, but which of the following would you do?

Using a solid single elastic.

a) when doubling up, using a stonflo connector or dacron (it doesnt matter) would you have 2 individual lengths of elastic tied to the samme connector. This option seems a bit daft as you could never guarantee the tension on individual pieces of elastic would always be the same for both. Or,

b) effectively have a massive loop. The tag ends of the loop would be connected to your bung and the opposite U end would be where the connector sits. Or,

c) use specific joined preston doubled elastic (i dont trust this) and use it as a single elastic... although it's 2 bits together.

I'm inclined to go with option B if I ever try it at all.

Any answers are appreciated.

Many thanks.