When to stop using paste

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've fished paste a lot this summer , made from a stiff mix of ground bait and talking to a match angler this week and he was saying that he'd not fishing paste as the weather turned cooler

So when is the right time to stop using paste

sam vimes

Reaction score
But it might catch one week not the next then work again the week after

Absolutely. Though it's generally considered a summer bait, but there's no particular date you should start or stop using it. When it starts and stops being effective will depend on the fishery concerned and the climatic conditions.

laguna

Reaction score
I believe one of the reasons paste is so successful is that its more soluble and has high leak off compared to other baits.
Its presented in various ways but it doesnt stay on the hook for long periods so in winter for example you might be fishing for bites that simply arnt there or are far and few between, by which time you might unknowingly be fishing with bare hooks.
Using paste for chub and barbel on a single trot down is the only real (sensible) option in my opinion; halibut cheese paste, halibut paste, or a home-made paste concoction on the hook or wrapped around a pellet... along with bread mash balled in or a feeder will always work in any conditions.

john step

Reaction score
That's interesting. I have never thought to stop using paste. For goodness sake
please don't tell the roach to stop liking it in the winter.:eek:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don't stop using paste when the weather gets colder - just add some vodka to the mix to ensure a good leakage.............

greenie62

Reaction score
I believe one of the reasons paste is so successful is that its more soluble and has high leak off compared to other baits...
Chris is spot-on about the 'leak-off' - Cold weather reduces this - but the main problem is the lack of maleability in the cold so you can end up with a rock-hard lump on the hook preventing penetration of the point.
The local 'paste-man' up here reckons if he adds olive oil to his mix it stays 'plastic' for longer in colder water and he gets more 'hook-ups' later in the season if using a smaller pinch - mind you he uses tiny pinches on a 22!
I just can't get over the fact that it looks like a bright green tiny mushy pea! :puke::D

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
When it stops catching fish or when you run out.;)

Spot on Sam :thumbs:

I would always consider it, what do you do when the bites stop, try something else. It is good to have a selection of baits, what works in one place may not work in another and fish get wise to the baits we use.

laguna

Reaction score
To really understand how paste works you need to make it yourself and modify it for all year-round use.

I wrote a draft article ages ago and was meaning to send it to Ian but never got round to it (might post it as a new thread?), but if making your own scares the hell out of you then buy some and either add a little oil to make it thinner for use in cold conditions, use it as it is for average summer temperatures or make it stiff by adding lard which will be more suited for higher temps and rivers.
You can also make it stiff by adding cheese (not the crumbly type) as every chub and barbel angler knows.

Oil is generally added to increase the binding properties of paste along with gluten depending upon the ingredients. Example a dough paste contains more gluten than most and a halibut paste, made principally of halibut pellets contains more oil. However its worth remembering that too much oil will make the paste thin and sticky. In summer oils are very attractive to carp and less so in colder conditions particularly in the depths of winter when metabolism is at an all time low.

The opposite may be true for chub and barbel who prefer a higher oil content such as a full fat cheese paste for example.

You can can also make your paste thinner by adding water, as some of us may have noticed... hands up if you ever accidentally left your paste out in a shower? :eek:mg: it may lose binding properties - its going to get wet anyway so adding too much means it may well come off the hook before it hits the bottom.

There are a few trade secrets that goes into making a good shop-bought paste but if your willing to experiment a little it can be very rewarding catching on a home made concoction... just remember to accurately weigh and write everything down so you can repeat the process according to conditions/type of venue. :w

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
To really understand how paste works you need to make it yourself and modify it for all year-round use.

I wrote a draft article ages ago and was meaning to send it to Ian but never got round to it (might post it as a new thread?), but if making your own scares the hell out of you then buy some and either add a little oil to make it thinner for use in cold conditions, use it as it is for average summer temperatures or make it stiff by adding lard which will be more suited for higher temps and rivers.
You can also make it stiff by adding cheese (not the crumbly type) as every chub and barbel angler knows.

Oil is generally added to increase the binding properties of paste along with gluten depending upon the ingredients. Example a dough paste contains more gluten than most and a halibut paste, made principally of halibut pellets contains more oil. However its worth remembering that too much oil will make the paste thin and sticky. In summer oils are very attractive to carp and less so in colder conditions particularly in the depths of winter when metabolism is at an all time low.

The opposite may be true for chub and barbel who prefer a higher oil content such as a full fat cheese paste for example.

You can can also make your paste thinner by adding water, as some of us may have noticed... hands up if you ever accidentally left your paste out in a shower? :eek:mg: it may lose binding properties - its going to get wet anyway so adding too much means it may well come off the hook before it hits the bottom.

There are a few trade secrets that goes into making a good shop-bought paste but if your willing to experiment a little it can be very rewarding catching on a home made concoction... just remember to accurately weigh and write everything down so you can repeat the process according to conditions/type of venue. :w

Good post Chris

I would certainly recommend you starting a new thread on the subject.

I am tinkering with paste but don't know much about it. Different types of paste, etc, etc. Hooking hair rigging, conditions, etc, etc, making paste, buying paste etc, etc.

It would make an excellent thread I am sure with lots to list, lots to learn and lots to talk about.

I hope you do so. :thumbs:

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I make my paste using a ground bait and mixed with water so it's fairly sloppy but stiff enough to stay on the hook but needs to be re-baited every 5 minutes , this is onr reason I wont be probavly using it in winter

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
I'd use it while it catches, especially in my neck of the woods, quite mild down here and will be for some time!

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks lads, Perhaps a mini paste series rather than a definitive effort with step by step instructions? I'm pretty much tied up with stuff right now but sure I'll eventually get round to it :D