method mix for colder weather

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've been using a mix of ground bait and micro pellets or just micro pellets , but to cut back the feed as the water temp drops I'm thinking of just using ground bait , anyone else do this and if so did it catch ;or should I switch to a small shot gun feeder and micro pellets

C

chefster

I've been using a mix of ground bait and micro pellets or just micro pellets , but to cut back the feed as the water temp drops I'm thinking of just using ground bait , anyone else do this and if so did it catch ;or should I switch to a small shot gun feeder and micro pellets
I just riddle the GB finer or put through a flour sieve,use a small method feeder,even a tiny homemade one,or use micros,depending on where i,m fishing..Gaz

dead peg

Reaction score
Might be worth considering the bango feeder in the colder months , its easier to regulate the amount of feed you put in and it gets straight down to the deck in deeper water
Groundbait and dead reds have worked for me in the past when the goings hard

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would also opt for the banjo feeder for when it gets colder.

You want to still attract fish but not to over feed them so the banjo is ideal for that.

I would also riddle it well and then add just a few soaked pellets if needed.

cattyfatty

Reaction score
banjo feeder is like a small dinner plate you can just fill one side with mirco's
have a look on preston site there's a video's of tommy pickering showing you the pro's of it.as said good for getting down on the deck near hookbait and not overfeeding.
ulitmate direct ebay website do one shaped as an egg and you get 2 in a pkt for £1.99 no p&p two size small 15g/25g large 25g/40g.

dead peg

Reaction score
What's the advantage of the banjo feeder to a small shot gun or ordinary pellet feeder

With the shotgun & pellet feeder you've got to fill a certain amount of mainly pellets to make them work effectively.With a banjo you can half fill it with what you want , micros , dead maggots , groundbait , crumb or whatever combination and amount

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Not sure which species you are fishing for Paul? When the cold sets in and the waters lose their colour, is loosefeed really necessary? I'd just fish a straight lead and hookbait.