A salute to the mighty chub

theartist

Reaction score
With the cold weather approaching the old rubber dub will come to the rescue of many a soul braving the weather this winter. So i just thought i'd start a thread to a fish that isn't as glamorous as other species.

"Had any chub?" was the question back in the day on my local rivers now they ask about barbel, but on my small urban haunts the chub is still the boss.

Anyone else wish to doff their hats to the chavender or share any chubby stories?:)

chav professor

Reaction score
The mighty Chavender!! So long as conditions have been stable - a reliable feeder in the coldest of weather!! Enjoyed some ethereal sub zero evenings after Chub. Something weirdly beautiful about wandering through the country side covered in snow after dark.. especially when answered with a twitch and pull of a quiver tip.

I seem to get more multiple captures of Chub from a single swim in proper cold weather than I do in any other circumstances. I wonder if the cold slows there cognitive ability - or perhaps their need to feed is greater and some of their caution is lost to necessity. Talking real small river stuff here - not vast shoals of migratory fish!

jan20124lb14ozchub003_zps43c6637b.jpg

Januarysnowandwillow2013061_zps678c327a.jpg

moresnowygippingpics021_zps5400928c.jpg

rubio

Reaction score
I seem to get far fewer chub 'accidentally' these days but there are usually reliable locally if you target them. One or two bigger lumps about too if you get lucky, or put in the kind of work the Chav does.

naxian62

Reaction score
Absolutely love those snow shots Chav. Chapeau

rubio

Reaction score
I agree and doff of the old chavender hat to the hardy soul who took the photos. I know in such conditions I'd rather be the one with a bend in the rod :)

For people that like photography the Prof is a great guy to fish with.

chav professor

Reaction score
Christian my old mate, re your very good pics. You must be getting soft in your old age, you're not wearing your shorts.

No gloves!!! Feeling my middle age these days.... I like warm legs! Hands? For some reason, they are OK... Helps if you grab and squeeze some snow real hard. So long as the core body temperature is maintained. Fingers glow like red sausages.

pike2-12-10024.jpg

My favourite snow shorts picture...

theartist

Reaction score
I love fishing in the snow but hate the driving aspect. What we need is some sort of half track tractor :D

mick b

Reaction score
Set a new PB for Chubbie last season 5.15 dispite much jiggling it wouldnt creep the extra 1oz however. :rolleyes:

Thought I would try for a bigger one this year, but last week a guy told me he had caught a 7.2 just upstream from mine so maybe I will seek quieter waters.

Lovely photographs btw :D

chav professor

Reaction score
I love fishing in the snow but hate the driving aspect. What we need is some sort of half track tractor :D

One of those snow fishing sessions came courtesy of a 'snow day' off school.... too treacherous to drive into work or kids or summit..... Bonus fishing trip!!!!;)

theartist

Reaction score
One of those snow fishing sessions came courtesy of a 'snow day' off school.... too treacherous to drive into work or kids or summit..... Bonus fishing trip!!!!;)

Plus I assume a venue not to far from home, it really is an asset to have a river on your doorstep come foul weather that has a healthy supply of either chub or grayling.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
The mighty Chavender!! So long as conditions have been stable - a reliable feeder in the coldest of weather!! Enjoyed some ethereal sub zero evenings after Chub. Something weirdly beautiful about wandering through the country side covered in snow after dark.. especially when answered with a twitch and pull of a quiver tip.

I seem to get more multiple captures of Chub from a single swim in proper cold weather than I do in any other circumstances. I wonder if the cold slows there cognitive ability - or perhaps their need to feed is greater and some of their caution is lost to necessity. Talking real small river stuff here - not vast shoals of migratory fish!

jan20124lb14ozchub003_zps43c6637b.jpg

Januarysnowandwillow2013061_zps678c327a.jpg

moresnowygippingpics021_zps5400928c.jpg

Chav,
It's a shame to use a perfectly good Runner Bean Pole in such atrocious condition :wh

Nice Pictures

Bob

chav professor

Reaction score
Chapmans 500 runner bean pole by any chance?

Close.... its a Barry Grantham modern replica of a mark 4 Avon. I could not afford the full shibang... Had to whip the eyes, intermediates and varnish.

I love that rod:)

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Great combination.....

snowygipping035_zps3239089d.jpg

nicepix

Reaction score
Close.... its a Barry Grantham modern replica of a mark 4 Avon. I could not afford the full shibang... Had to whip the eyes, intermediates and varnish.

I love that rod:)

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 ----------

Great combination.....

snowygipping035_zps3239089d.jpg

Probably made to the same spec' as the ubiquitous 'light Avon' of the day. I'd prefer a few more rod rings, but that was how they came........

It usually has a Trudex attached to it, but this is the reserve reel.......

lambert1

Reaction score
Chub have been the only big fish for me, both when I was a kid/teenager and when I recently returned to fishing after a very long interlude. My biggest so far was this season at 4lb 9oz and it was the Mutts Nuts as far as I am concerned. Whilst big specimens of other fish have eluded me, the dear old Chub has given me the thrill and the racing heart! I have a great many other targets, but will always be grateful to the Chevin!:)