Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  32
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Your top three worst baits

Now, we've all got our favourite baits. But what has consistently failed to hit the mark for you? Boiled potatoes, slugs and elderberries are all recommended by some authorities; mainly in old fishing books, but I've never had a touch with any of them. Same with that synthetic bait that came in a tube in the 1970's - Mystic. And that cost a lot more than a few spuds and scrumped berries.

So my three are:
    Mystic
    Slugs
    Boiled spuds
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

Default Re: Your top three worst baits

Slugs

Can't think of another two

I believe that boiled spuds are a bit of a myth (irrespective as to whether or not they were stuck on a treble) - worked OK at Cheshunt reservoir as they were the 'in' bait for some years in times gone by. Elsewhere any decent carp caught in the fist half (ish - to early/late 60's) of the 20th century were usually caught on good old bread in various guises with the lobworm also showing from time to time.

Elderberries can be deadly if trotting down stream of an over hanging elderberry bush - not only does it do the pre-baiting/feeding for you but the roach tend to be so pre-occupied that it's unlikely you'll catch on another bait at the time.

Slugs, always found them good for chub, especially early season.

Worst baits? - anything expensive, many cheap/free baits usually catch OK..................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I'll certainly go with Christian's slug. Tried one once and it remains one of the most unpleasant experiences of my life.

Sprats : I think I've had one or maybe two fish on a sprat in 40+ years
    Paste : Cheesepaste excepted .Any other sort of paste I've never done any good on.
    Spinners : Ditto Sprats. Dont know what I'm doing I guess but nothing ever pulls back.

Elderberries I've found better than either hemp or tares as a hookbait and as Jezza says,,,they're free !

Some chilli flavoured boilies I bought , tried and tried but never caught with them

Some very cheap luncheon meat , so full of water that it went to mush when I started cutting it up

My experiment of meat covered in Marmite , by the time I'd hooked one piece of meat on to the hook my hands where covered in marmite
    PaSC British by birth, English by the grace of God
    I got the devil in my blood,Telling' me what to do
    (And I'm all ears), Britain's premier bread angler

Blog Entries

Slugs. Slugs. Boilies! Especially slug flavoured ones.
    So many cormorants.... so few recipes.

Bread , Sweetcorn , truncheon meat ... never had a single bite on any of them .

These are likely to have people bemused or irritated. Just try to remember that it's within the limits of my usual and regular current haunts.

Bread - Other than floating crusts. Absolutely useless on the local river and my frequent stillwaters. I have a bit more faith after giving "dobbing" a go on a commercial stillwater a year or two ago, but it's rarely included in my bait selection.

Lobworms - I can well understand how effective they can be, but I find lobs a complete pain. They just seem to get picked to death by bits while waiting for a decent fish to come along. By the time that might actually happen, all I'm left with is an overly large and very obvious hook with some chewed scraps of tattered worm left.

Sweetcorn - Plenty of success with it elsewhere, but try as I might on the local river, I can never buy a bite on the stuff. On one of my regular stillwaters, it's great for crayfish. On the other, tipping a boilie and mixed into a particle spod mix. Trying it for the smaller species, on float or leger, has been a complete waste of time.

I've encountered a few different types of boilie that I consider to be fish repellents on various different waters. However, even the worst of them will usually work somewhere.

That Sam has got to be the most unusual selection I can imagine. True I get better results on lob worm tails than whole ones, but I did OK on un-fished canals with smaller whole lobs. And sweetcorn and bread, along with red worms are me top baits for little fished or virgin waters.

Jut shows how complex our sport can be.
    I tread the path where no one goes,
    and cast to fish nobody knows.

binka Guest

Another one for slugs here.

Come to think of it I've never really done much good on prawns either and any type of soft hooker pellet that goes straight on the hook... Never been able to get on with 'em for some reason

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast