Poor hooking rate on the quiver

law

Reaction score
Whenever I fish the quiver tip, I seem to have a poor hooking rate.
I'd prob say 1 in 6 proper bites I connect with.
I've tried sliding leads and fixed leads (4 swan shot) but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Any ideas? It's doing my head in.

sagalout

Reaction score
Would a heavier feeder work?
I use a preston 15g method feeder or a 15g bullet lead, I don't have issues with hook up rates in general, but I only ledger for carp,. If it is anything but carp I float fish.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Try changing the length of your Hook link, go long first, then shorten as you go, until you start to connect with the bites. You could also try a lead that just holds bottom, when a fish picks up the bait the lead will to be felt less, and the fish will take off.

Using a lead that is to heavy can spook fish as they take the bait, its down to how much the fish wants your bait, sometimes they are just nosing round and not picking up the bait with confidence.

law

Reaction score
Are you getting good takes or striking at taps

Getting good takes.

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 ----------

Try changing the length of your Hook link, go long first, then shorten as you go, until you start to connect with the bites. You could also try a lead that just holds bottom, when a fish picks up the bait the lead will to be felt less, and the fish will take off.

Using a lead that is to heavy can spook fish as they take the bait, its down to how much the fish wants your bait, sometimes they are just nosing round and not picking up the bait with confidence.

I did start pretty light today. Just 2 swan shot. Then went to 3, then swapped to a running 1/2oz lead.
It didnt seem to make much difference.

Interesting about the length of hook link....I'll give that a go next time :)

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Are you quivertip ping on a lake or a river?

If river: use a fixed paternoster of 5 inches, start with a hook length of 36 inches, use a lead or a feeder with at least half an ounce. After casting out ensure that there is a bend in the tip, strike on a positive pull. If casting upstream or directly across point the rod a bit downstream and strike when the tip straightens.

If lake: use a fixed paternoster of 10 inches, start with a hook length of 18 inches, use alead or feeder of at least half an ounce.

The above setups are very basic but will get you results. The problem with running leads is mainly with the strike - you have to move the lead before the hook hits home.

john step

Reaction score
I have always found hook ups for roach and chub a bit iffy on a quiver tip . However Carp seem to be easy as are bream and perch. Barbel ..dont let your rod go!!
I think it depends on type of venue ie natural,still/ flowing or commie/dense stocking.
I just fish to my ability( or I should inability) and use a float for the difficult species:)

---------- Post added at 15:54 ---------- Previous post was at 15:52 ----------

Try a method feeder and let them hang themselves....
You beast!:D

law

Reaction score
Are your hooks sharp?

Yep. Brand new out the packet and checked via the finger nail test

---------- Post added at 11:08 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

Are you quivertip ping on a lake or a river?

If river: use a fixed paternoster of 5 inches, start with a hook length of 36 inches, use a lead or a feeder with at least half an ounce. After casting out ensure that there is a bend in the tip, strike on a positive pull. If casting upstream or directly across point the rod a bit downstream and strike when the tip straightens.

If lake: use a fixed paternoster of 10 inches, start with a hook length of 18 inches, use alead or feeder of at least half an ounce.

The above setups are very basic but will get you results. The problem with running leads is mainly with the strike - you have to move the lead before the hook hits home.

On a lake yesterday.
Good tips, I'll give it a try :)

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 ----------

I just fish to my ability( or I should inability) and use a float for the difficult species:)

That's my preferred method, but I struggle to cast less than a foot from the pads with shot right by the hook, and any shorter, and the Tench don't venture out.
And also, the autumn colours in the trees make it almost impossible to see any coloured float!

Look! Try spotting a float in that reflection!

10593231_10152342501202307_3867817472529290390_n.jpg

greenie62

Reaction score

bigfish74

Reaction score
I know of one angler freind of mine who only fishes 10lb mainline and 8lb bottoms when on the tip even when fishing for roaach and dace etc and he will never miss a fish sajd it took him years to figure it out
Believe it or not he will still get the same amount of bites as me sat beside fishing lighter tackle dont know why but it works

Andy

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'd agree with Ray Daywater Clarke regarding hook lengths...Also I like to use paternoster style fishing with the hook fixed to the line above the weight and not below it. I think the 'bite' is more obvious fishing this way although I'd agree it doesn't wotk in all conditions and situations.

The other thing is the actual strike; I like to have the rod in my hand at all times with the end sitting on a rest and many times you can 'feel' the bite through to the cork, even with small fish.....I even hold the line sometimes for more 'feel'.
The strike must be a slow sweep IMO, nothing jerky or too vicious.....AND always with the rod pointing downstream..... well, most of the time anyway !!

law

Reaction score
Some great tips there. Cheers guys.
Something else I've just thought about. Could a lot of the indications be liners?

greenie62

Reaction score
.....Something else I've just thought about. Could a lot of the indications be liners?

Yes - particularly if you've got a successful response to your groundbait - with lots of fish showing interest! ;):rolleyes:

Try a drilled bullet/barrel 'stopped' on the mainline 2-3ft above your feeder to act as a 'backlead' and keep the line on the bottom in the area around the feeder.

Tight Lines!

john step

Reaction score
I find that a swing tip is much more sensitive than a quiver tip on lakes.

Yes they can still be sourced online. Bought a couple recently.

Also....... LAW I see what you mean re float colour. I have in my float box a couple of lengths of unpainted raw peacock quill that is there for difficult times like this. They can be fixed with a float band and are white and thick enough to see against dark water. . I can cut a bit off the length to suit the circumstance.

I must say that most of my own difficult places is against light water for which I use black top floats. I have an indelible pen for that. In fact thinking about it I use a black top more than any other.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

I know of one angler freind of mine who only fishes 10lb mainline and 8lb bottoms when on the tip even when fishing for roaach and dace etc and he will never miss a fish sajd it took him years to figure it out
Believe it or not he will still get the same amount of bites as me sat beside fishing lighter tackle dont know why but it works

Andy

Come on then. Spill the beans.How is it done.
Is it that the line and drag is so heavy its like a bolt rig?

Last edited:

bigfish74

Reaction score
To be honest john i hvent got a clue but the next time were out i will pick his brains
Like i say he said it took him hears to fjgure it out

Andy

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I like float fishing and don't have any trouble seeing floats tips, as i like to change to Black float tips if seeing gets hard. Black seems to show up even against a dark background.

Swing tips are great, but once you get over about 8 feet deep, I found they don't do the same job.