Furled leaders

nicepix

Reaction score
I've been using furled leaders for the past few weeks in an attempt to reduce the number of tangles when casting feeders and ledgers. It has worked a treat and in my opinion is better than rig tubing when fishing light for roach and chub. It can be used for carp rigs too if you step up the strength of line used to make it. With a conventional ledger link of about 7.5cm (3") and a furled leader I can reduce the number of tangles to zero.

A furled leader is used by trout anglers between the heavy plastic coated fly line and their tippet of light mono or fluoro' and allows the flies to turn over better so that they don't tangle.

To make one you need some stiff mono or fluoro' just over twice what you decide the length of the completed furled leader you want. If I'm using 6lb line for chub I would knot a length of around 50 cm (20") of 10lb - 12lb mono or fluoro' to the main line after the ledger link and bead had been threaded onto the main line. Then clip a pair of forceps onto the end of your leader, grip the knot and spin the forceps clockwise a couple of times. Then still holding the knot with one hand and the forceps with the other put the end of the line with the forceps still attached to the knot. Grip both ends of the line with one hand and smooth out the wrinkles and loops with wetted fingers of the other hand until you get a smooth and even furled length of line.

Ideally you want it to be tight enough that you can separate the line to make a loop at the end, but have no areas of leader where the lines are separated on their own account. Add or subtract twist by spinning the forceps one way or the other then once you are happy with the result take hold of both ends of line above the knot, remove the forceps and make a double loop knot so that it buts up against the knot that joins your line to the leader. Trim the end tag and smooth the furls using a wetted finger and thumb.

You can join your hook link to the furled leader using a loop to loop knot.

greenie62

Reaction score
...A furled leader is used by trout anglers between the heavy plastic coated fly line and their tippet of light mono or fluoro' and allows the flies to turn over better so that they don't tangle....

The only thing to be aware of using these - is the 'bungy' effect - they act as a coiled spring and - when fly-fishing - need to moderate your strength of strike depending on the distance away the take is. They also allow you to use finer tippets/hook lengths since the leader acts as a shock absorber on a hard-fighting fish!
Good tip NP!

nicepix

Reaction score
The bungy effect might be more noticeable when trout fishing because of the much longer leaders employed. A 10" leader ain't going to stretch that much :D

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I find that one of these -http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/get-slinky-with-your-indicator/ - used as a hooklink permits me to use a 5lb test curve carp rod, even a modest beachcaster, for bleak.

nicepix

Reaction score
I find that one of these -http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/fly-fishing-tips-technique/get-slinky-with-your-indicator/ - used as a hooklink permits me to use a 5lb test curve carp rod, even a modest beachcaster, for bleak.

I suppose when all your fishing is theoretical anything goes.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
TBH Mr Pix I could either undo the tangle or cut it off and re-tie it in half the time I could set up your suggestion....

anglerpaulm

Reaction score
Great post and something I have toyed with a few times.

What I liked seeing was you use a Sienna FD reel for feeder fishing. I too use this reel and really, really like it! (Especially for the cost of it £28 quid I think). I also bought a spare spool to use for spinning (soon to be loaded with 40lb braid).

Contemplating getting a 3000 to replace my GTM (although I love fightin' drag), have you used it for anything other than feeder fishing?

nicepix

Reaction score
Great post and something I have toyed with a few times.

What I liked seeing was you use a Sienna FD reel for feeder fishing. I too use this reel and really, really like it! (Especially for the cost of it £28 quid I think). I also bought a spare spool to use for spinning (soon to be loaded with 40lb braid).

Contemplating getting a 3000 to replace my GTM (although I love fightin' drag), have you used it for anything other than feeder fishing?

No. I only use that reel on my light / medium feeder rod and a similar reel on my swing tip rod.