Fishing round Hampton Court?

xenon

Reaction score
Any tips for what kind of fishing is possible
around Hampton Court? (Thames). Will be moving house near there shortly so this will become my local river!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Checked some of it out last year although never actually fished it. I visit a brother nearby.
I checked hiring a boat to fish the weir just up stream of the bridge. You can do this apparently. I think they were about £28, something like that. A nice little fishing rowing punt. This is hired from a place just up stream from the bridge, about 100yds left hand side looking up stream. However, I think they are only doing business in the summer. There's barbel there and I suspect the usual species so I am told. Anyway, weirs are always interesting.
The other place anglers get is Cigarette Island. Its not a island but it is the bit by the bridge going downstream by Hampton Court Station. I believe there's barbel there as well. I believe its pretty much free fishing both sides , although some of it is not accessible because of houses. The far bit over the bridge going up stream, hence the interest in the fishing punt because this is where the weir is. Sods law.
There's a tackle shop in Hampton court town, you will have to ask the locals where it is, a bit complicated to explain, its not far from the station though, 10 minute walk. Cross over the busy road from the station into the town and turn left sort of. You will be heading in the right direction.
I believe there is fishing in Hampton Court but, not sure and the river Mole runs out at the end of the cigarette island bit, but, I think the Mole is very restricted, the tackle shop will be better able to inform you.

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Apart from the Thames and those bits of the Mole that you can still access for free fishing, theres also the Royal Parks at Bushy Park and Home Park between Hampton Court and Kingston, fishable on season ticket.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Apart from the Thames and those bits of the Mole that you can still access for free fishing, theres also the Royal Parks at Bushy Park and Home Park between Hampton Court and Kingston, fishable on season ticket.

. . . .that brought back some very old memories for me.

My first ever Tench (all of 2 pounds) was caught from the Longwater behind Hampton Court Palace, and the Roach in there used to be superb, albeit over 50 years ago. You could catch as many as you wished on hemp seed . . . . . . .

The best bet I'd say these days is to fish the weir stream from a boat as I don't think fishing is allowed from the weir itself, not even on the EA Weir Permit.

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Was this you Peter?
chub_on_the_block-albums-fish-tank-picture3736-untitled.jpg

Re the tackle shop in Hampton Court, the one i rememeber from the 80s is now long gone - its restaurant central in the roads opposite the train station. There is a good tackle shop nearby in Station Approach Hinchley Wood though. Cant remember its name, but they are knowledgable of local rivers.

john step

Reaction score
Havn't fished it for years but I think the following still applies.
Hampton court side as far as Kingston Bridge is free. Lots of bream and roach etc.
Downstream of Kingston Bridge on the opposite side is free right through the park called Canbury Gardens and onto the weir where the tidal starts.
Bream/carp/roach you name it its there.
The weir used to be good.
Then there starts what is probably the best fishing ...the Tidal..... free where there is access to the sea!!
If you can get access or own a fishing punt the world is your oyster. Free launching just South of Ham House at Petersham Meadows.
Just don't leave your gear unattended:eek:

Lucky fellow. Good luck and tight lines.

David Dalton

Reaction score
There are some very big perch in this stretch, my pb of 3lb 5 oz came from near Kingston, but there are much bigger ones than that. A fish of over 6lb was caught in one of the marinas on this stretch a few years ago, but was disqualified for the national record because fishing was not allowed there.

There are lots of bream, also roach and dace. A maggot feeder is a pleasant way to catch them in summer. Barbel are not common, but grow to good sizes. The carp can also be very big. I am not a carp angler, but I helped an angler land a fish of over 30lb near Kingston Bridge a couple of years ago.

You may get a surprise. I had a 7lb zander on a lobworm last year!

xenon

Reaction score
Many thanks for those who have taken the time to reply-think I could be in for some good fishing.

barbelboi

Reaction score
There is also free fishing on the Mole & Ember just down the road at Ember Court (you can even park less than a hundred yards from the Mole) - also the Thames relief channel that separates them.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Anywhere on the Thames is free below Staines so long as it is permitted and not private land. Local exclusions apply eg around locks/moorings etc.

My favourite reach was between Chertsey Bridge and Shepperton Lock or above Walton bridge, both a bit further upstream from Hampton Court. Walton has good roadside access, so has Chertsey meadow to a lesser extent, but at Shepperton even though theres a road along the river its difficult to find places you can park. Used to be fine fishing it as a kid on a bike!

rubio

Reaction score
Well worth seeking out 'lesser' venues like River Crane and Duke of Bedford's River which aren't so far away. Many other streams too that hold shockingly big specimens. My own fave used to be the tidal stretch around richmond and isleworth. Can't think of a fish you couldn't catch there incl salmon!

xenon

Reaction score
Whilst researching all this, it struck me as odd that I could not find a single club water controlling any stretch-discussing this with my local tackle dealer (Dave at Frames Angling, Hendon- a proper old school tackle shop) and he reckoned this was a because of a provision dating back to the Magna Carta regarding fishing from Runymede downwards. Sounds plausible but does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Whilst researching all this, it struck me as odd that I could not find a single club water controlling any stretch-discussing this with my local tackle dealer (Dave at Frames Angling, Hendon- a proper old school tackle shop) and he reckoned this was a because of a provision dating back to the Magna Carta regarding fishing from Runymede downwards. Sounds plausible but does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

Yes fishing rights on lower Thames were granted to the public (free fishing) by the Magna Carta. This applied from the Magna Carta stone downstream which was always thought to be at Runnymede. But i notice that the National Trust now charge day tickets for fishing in that vicinity (they never used to). One explanation is that it is their right to do so as the Magna Carta stone is a bit further downriver towards Runnymede Bridge. I remember reading this a little while ago on a fishing forum somewhere as the charging by the National Trust here (and their denial of night fishing) is contentious - to say the least.

The first club upriver that i am familiar with is Old Windsor AS. This has rights (and issues day tickets on bank) from Romney Lock downstream to the road bridge below Home Park, Windsor. It used to control Romney island too, but that is now syndicate (and apparently unfished) after Eton college terminated their lease. Through Datchet and downstream towards Runnymede i am not sure - some may be CALPAC or Civil Service controlled?. Mostly private banks i think, even as a kid i had difficulty getting access to poach in that reach!

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd read it was from the "Staines Stone" down, and granted to citizens of London by Richard 1 for services rendered in the crusades, or digging him out of the mess he got himself into out there. Haven't been able to find a solid reference, though.

greenie62

Reaction score
I'd read it was from the "Staines Stone" down, and granted to citizens of London by Richard 1 for services rendered in the crusades, or digging him out of the mess he got himself into out there. Haven't been able to find a solid reference, though.

Hi Al,
I vaguely remember you telling me about this 'back in the day' when the Water Board Licence was first introduced on the Thames and caused a furore because it effectively imposed a 'fishing tax' on the citizens of London! The LAA archives might have further info.
Tight Lines!

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
They have an archive? It brings to mind something in between Gringott's (?) bank in Harry Potter and the Town Planning Display Department from H2G2, probably with the Unseen University's librarian in charge. Let he who dares ask, take plenty of bananas.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 ----------

Hmm... "granted" might not be the right term:
Corporation of London

mark halsey

Reaction score
River used to be tidal** up to Staines before they put in Tedd Weir. Hence at Staines there is the London Stone.
** Only rise/fall couple of inches but still tidal.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
We used to get the bus to Staines and you could walk right through to Runnymede. It was all free back then. You came to a green at Runnymede with the Magna stone in the middle.
Another place was Sunbury Island, not far from Hampton Court; you could get a ferry across and fish, there is a nice big weir there and I have seen some massive bream caught. We used to go all night fishing on the Island. Whether they still run a ferry over I do not know.
All info very much out of date but, might still be worth checking out.

Plus I have heard there is some good Zander fishing around Kingston.