Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: centerpin

Default Re: centerpin

Could this be the outbreak of an engineering war?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Jacobs View Post
    Difficult choice between a Young's Purist and a lovely Fred Crouch Emerald Limited Edition.

Close on their heels would be a nice Aerial Match though . . . . .
    lovely reels Peter, , I, m like Nicepix! A Stanton, ordered it back in '64 and waited three monthes for it, then had to go to a pub in Sheffield city centre one friday night to pick it up.
    The guy came out of the midland station with a bag of em, into the pub, sold em all In minutes to eager matchmen and was gone soon after with another bagfull of orders for the following friday night.
    64/0 shillings --- half a weeks wages then for me.
    Still have it along with a mint Trudex.

Quote Originally Posted by trotter2 View Post
    Lol Paul no death threats as yet , but excellent reels I agree. Only reasons for sale is I am Unfortunately one of the few who prefers a "True Pin". Took me a few years and quite a lot of money to find out that . But really its a very personal thing "centrepins" IMO. And sometimes the only way to find out is to try them.

Thanks Trotter2

They - the death threats - will come if you get some nice plain bearing centrepins, develop God-like abilities and catch a few fish, trotter; it comes with the (Southern) territory.

I mean, look no further than me, having to deal pretty well daily with folk who appear not to have got much further than wooden Scarborough starbacks. I am inclined to pass it all off as their permanently having a business of ferrets up their trousers; it would make any man a bit crabby and antagonistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Boote View Post
    .... I am inclined to pass it all off as their permanently having a business of ferrets up their trousers; it would make any man a bit crabby and antagonistic.
    No, No, No Paul - you've got the typical Southern obsession with thinking the trousered ferrets are some form of unpleasant punishment - it's not! - it's just what is done up here for a bit of company and amusement!

Back to the OP

Best centrepin reel for.....well the one you can fish with easily, without problems.

If you wish to lay a barbel bait under the near bank nothing beats a Rapidex.

If you want to trot a river with bread an original Allcocks Aerial is excellent, simply because it has a solid backplate to the spool and bits of bread cant get into the innards and gum it up. Other similar reels are available its just a matter of availability and how much you wish to pay.

Handles yes, line guard no, spool width 5/8" to 7/8", reel diameter 4" to 41/2"

True centrepin or modern bearing, a matter of your performance in casting and actually fishing your rivers.

I have fished with most except a CL and Witcher, I own a few and fish with just one.

Last edited by mick b; 06-11-2014 at 09:41.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Could this be the outbreak of an engineering war?
    My American Uncle owned a company that made classical ear rings for Indians.

It wasn't a large concern really, it was just a little injun'earing outfit . . . . . . . . .

[taxi?]

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Now do I take a Leeds ?, or a Match Ariel to the Itchen ??

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Daywalker Clarke View Post
    Neither take an Okuma Adventa pro and have done with it........ :-)

I'd take "out a loan".
    I may be old, but I ain't dead yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Daywalker Clarke View Post

Neither, wooden starback with Slater latch and a nice bit of flamed cane, matched with an elderpith and double whipped crow quill and size 14 Gold Model Perfect, all you will need then will be a nice crusty loaf and the locals might even consider you for membership
    Oh and dont forget your floppy hat and Barbour

Last edited by mick b; 06-11-2014 at 22:56.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast