centerpin

xenon

Reaction score
seems like ages since we had a friendly punch up over centerpins. Whats the consensus over the best production reel for trotting at the moment? (i.e. not including bespoke work from the likes of Chris Lythe, and yes I do have a motive here as all being well the sale of the house to facilitate the move might allow a bit of "slippage" for essential fishy items)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just remember, xenon, that those who become most "excited" about such reels are those who can make nothing of them. Understand this and you can look in every few dozen pages or so of Enraged Online Centrepin War Froth and haughtily think "You poor devils.".

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Just remember, xenon, that those who become most "excited" about such reels are those who can make nothing of them. Understand this and you can look in every few dozen pages or so of Enraged Online Centrepin War Froth and haughtily think "You poor devils.".

On the contrary. Much of what is posted is from people who regularly use and enjoy their reels. It is just the odd member who can't help making statements on reels they have never seen let alone used. Or those who's use of reels was a long time ago.

I think the consensus last time around was to look at the Okuma Aventa Pro, a reel at the bottom end of their range that offers much if not all of the features and benefits of their more expensive models. Or one of the Youngs models if you feel the need to splash out a bit more. If you opt for the Youngs check eBay as there are usually some As New / Hardly Used reels on sale a lot cheaper than RRP.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wish big roach were this easy. See you on page 36 if there is one. Retires to stroke a large white pUssy.

greenie62

Reaction score
I wish big roach were this easy. See you on page 36 if there is one. Retires to stroke a large white pUssy.

Hi Paul,
Just remember - it's fishing not catching - that counts! ;):D

-------------​

And what's with the racist pussy comments? ;):rolleyes: Surely it should be an albino pussy and therefore devoid of racial overtones? :eek:mg:

Tight lines!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Is this what the OP wanted?;):D

In answer to his question, buy an Okuma of some description and you won't go far wrong. You could buy a cheapy (Marco Cortesi, TFG, Ikonix etc) and run the risk of their variable quality. You could buy a second hand oldie (but goodie) but run the risk of buying a pup. You could also go for the more expensive mass market stuff or customs and find that you don't much like fishing with pins.

P.S. don't go fishing and then whinge when you get bites.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
seems like ages since we had a friendly punch up over centerpins. Whats the consensus over the best production reel for trotting at the moment? (i.e. not including bespoke work from the likes of Chris Lythe, and yes I do have a motive here as all being well the sale of the house to facilitate the move might allow a bit of "slippage" for essential fishy items)

For pure useability and value for money you won't beat the Aventa pro, they are seriously good reels. The sheffield is a bit more expensive but again is a corker.
The higher end reels like the Lythes, Gary Mills, Richard Carters etc are imo in another league to the majority of CP's on the market for looks and also in usage but you will pay a premium price for one.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yes, tigger.

How I wish, how I wish you were here.
We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year,
Running over the same old ground.
What have we found?
The same old fears.
Wish you were here.
[I might even show you some decent centrepins]

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Same old, same old - people and their sentiments.

See you on page 36.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mere sniping by those who can't at those who can, dorset. Same names every time.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Nothing on the fact, Skippy, that, in the fine summer weather two weeks, I met a man I didn't know from Adam [no smartphones / cameras, no hanger-on mates] at 11.00am in the middle of my local park and taught him the Wallis Cast. No money, no pics, just passing it on.

Near-deranging intelligence for some, I reckon.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just a shame that the Wallis Cast was turned into a snooty, "Look at my works, ye mighty, and despair" cult by a bunch of stupid cults.