How long is a hook length?

greenie62

Reaction score
Whilst trotting recently for chub got broken-off on a branch so changed hook-length - caught-up again, this time on the bottom, just couldn't get it to trot right at all! Checked tackle when retrieved and thought that looks like I'm fishing deeper than when I started - hook in holder - float at guide 5? oops 7! :confused:
Then I realised the hook length was longer than I'd started with by more than a foot! Checking through the hooks-to-nylon in my bag I made 2 discoveries:
- very few recently purchased have the length printed on the outer of the wallet,
- Lengths vary between brands or ranges - Drennan Carp Barbless=20", SilverFish Barbless=10", Preston Carp=18", Preston Competition=8",

If I could be a*sed checking them all I'd probably find there was even more variation with other brands - and that's without checking their tolerances on how accurately the lengths have been produced to spec.

I'd foolishly got used to 14" hook-lengths - thinking that was an industry standard - now find that's the one size that nobody produces now! :eek:mg:

How do the rest of you get on with this - tie your own? If so what length?

The bad one

Reaction score
Always tie my own and aim for 2 ft HL but don't bother about it if the come up a bit short.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Like Phil I tie my own for all running line as well as pole rigs.

The length will vary but for trotting I stick with 12" and all of my spare hook lengths are stored in a Preston box so I never have the problem you describe.

An easy way to check however is when having plumbed the depth you either mark with tipex or just note the point on your rod adjacent with the float.

Then if you need to change to a fresh hook length you have a depth guide so if the new one if longer or shorter then simply slide the float up or down to correct.

mick b

Reaction score
I tie my own on 3ft of nylon or flouro, wind them around my index and middle finger (after cutting to length to allow the coils the unwind - v important) and tuck the tag end four times around the coils.
I store them in recycled plastic floppy disc boxes fitted with magnetic tape strips, ten per box.

To unwind the loop is loosely held over two fingers and the hook is slowly unwound around the loop (not the coils) causeing the tag end to role out and everything falls free....simples.
Note; This method of wrapping and uncoiling is the industry standard for handling leaders in big game fishing and Ive just downgraded it for coarse fishing.

greenie62

Reaction score
I found that the tipex was a pain in the 4rse to remove so now I use a chinagraph, this comes of much easier.

Or how about these from Drennan - probably cost more than a chinagraph but they could always double as pellet bands!
drawImage.php

sam vimes

Reaction score
When I'm trotting, which is usually in relatively shallow water, I make up my own 5" hooklinks. I use a micro swivel to connect mainline and hooklink and to take the place of a dust shot dropper. The short link avoids the need to have any shot whatsoever on the hooklink.

I might use longer in other circumstances. If I make my own hooklinks, I tend to make them over long and with no loop. That way I can tie the loop and choose the length as required. If I buy hooklink, I invariably cut them down to my own length preference.

greenie62

Reaction score
They won't fit on a rod will they?

I guess they are intended for the magic wand brigade for their top-10! :rolleyes:
They would be difficult to get over guides on a rod - unless they are elastic - like a rubber band - hint! hint! ;):)

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I make up my own and they usually range from 18" to about 2ft when float fishing and maybe from 6" up to 3ft when ledgering, with longest on a river if i want a long tail.

If i was float fishing a very clear water with no shot down the line (or just a dust) i would consider a longer hook length.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I prefer to fish straight through as often as possible when trotting, or anytime really (either four or six pound), I don't like messin' about with hooklengths which are just a weak link and twist far to easy even when a swivel is used to join the two. If the fish are being a bit clever and shying away from my set up and I do have to use a low diameter bottom to get the fish to oblige then I make my own bottoms up. The swim conditions determine how long I make my hooklength.

trotter2

Reaction score
I make mine short 5 inches that way I can place a dust shot on the main line and leave the hook length clear of shot.

B

binka

This is a great thread for variation :)

Personally I tie mine as long as I can get away with as the extra length gives extra stretch when you're up against it, something that was always drilled into me and this usually results in hooklinks of 30" -36" for me to avoid placing shot other than small droppers on it.

5"... :eek:

:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Tie my own, and they will vary in length depending on the kind of fishing i am doing.

I will change length as and when i think i need to.

You have to be prepared to change things around, 1 inch shorter or longer, could be all the difference between a good day, and a blank day.

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
Personally I tie mine as long as I can get away with as the extra length gives extra stretch when you're up against it, something that was always drilled into me and this usually results in hooklinks of 30" -36" for me to avoid placing shot other than small droppers on it.

I have always thought that too and I think it is important with finer hook lengths.

I find breakage most often occurs at the weakest point - where hook length is tied to hook, where the hook length meets the mainline, or where line is weakened by shot etc.

andrewa

Reaction score
I tie my own hook lengths. I actually enjoy doing so!
3 - 6 inch for method feeder.
6 - 24 inch for other feeder or bomb.
6 - 12 inch for waggler
2 - 12 inch for pole.
I keep them in Guru or MAP boxes
On occasions I use a longer length in which case I tie them on the bank.

A

alan whittington

Tie my own, and they will vary in length depending on the kind of fishing i am doing.

I will change length as and when i think i need to.

You have to be prepared to change things around, 1 inch shorter or longer, could be all the difference between a good day, and a blank day.

I couldn't agree more with that Ray,each swim,on its day may require a differing length and not just because the fish want it that way,you may need too increase said hooklink to get a clean run through....as you probably have guessed I will not put a shot on a hooklink,imo there is no definite length,only a starting point.

trotter2

Reaction score
Hi Alan and others

Please could you explain why when trotting a float you would need to increase the hook length?