New Innovative Items or Ideas?

steph mckenzie

Reaction score
Have there been any recent and New innovative ideas in Fishing that would change the way you currently fish?

We've had Hair Rigs, Pole Fishing to name a couple from the previous century, but, have we truly had anything since to rival these ideas?

Thanks
Steph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Most things are just an evolution or refinement of existing ideas. Innovative as it was, I'd include the hair rig in that, though it was only likely to have been of the last century (It may not have been if you listen to some, but that's a whole new thread!;):D).

Pole fishing I'd mark down as a nothing more than evolution and refinement of something that has been practiced forever and a day. All that happened in the UK in the last century was a re-introduction of something that had fallen out of favour almost completely. Though the equipment has changed, the basic concept of pole fishing would have been quite familiar to Isaac Walton.

There's very little, I can think of, that's truly new. Tackle companies are mostly tweaking round the edges, trying new materials, and desperately trying to invent stuff that we don't, at a bare bones level, really need.

Reaction score
We've had buzz bars long enough to fit your reels side by side without the need to fold the handles, but some stuck in the mud types still refuse to adopt this new angled technology.

wes79

Reaction score
Last edited:

ken more

Reaction score
We've had buzz bars long enough to fit your reels side by side without the need to fold the handles, but some stuck in the mud types still refuse to adopt this new angled technology.

I use buzz bars that are about 15" long and i only fish one rod with the reel handle folded:eek:

slaphead

Reaction score
I get round the folding handle problem by using centrepins.

However, casting great distances can be a problem.

I am toying with the idea of using drones. Anyone used them? :eek:mg:

Keith M

Reaction score
Method feeders? maybe a 1990s thing? Arguably just an evolution of swim feeders that i guess were a 1960s/70s invention?

My father was using feeders back in the 1950's and I suspect they were developed a lot earlier than the 1950's. I was making my own feeders out of my mother's curlers in 1960.

PVA stocking tubes and PVA string has been a great modern development in my fishing and rods made of materials like carbon and boron that I can hold all day without having sore arms have been a great development.

Electronic bite alarms have been a great boon to my fishing ever since Richard Walker developed the old 'Heron' bite alarm but there were anglers up and down the country already devising home made alarm devices using batteries and pieces of wire before the more practical 'Heron' came on the market. An early electronic bite alarm developed by Richard Walker is shown on the last page of BB's Confessions of a Carp Fisher.

There are not many things that can be said to be totally new in angling; even the hair rig; of which I think I remember reading about an early version using horse hair in Isaac Waltons The Compleat Angler.

Keith

Last edited:

rubio

Reaction score
Graphene.
It really is the big new thing, as soon as somebody figures out a use for it.

greenie62

Reaction score
Whilst strictly not just this century - the most innovative idea that comes to mind is banded hard pellets. They have proved to be effective for a good range of species in both still and running water, are easy to carry round, don't go 'off' as fast as most other baits, and are reasonably unmessy.

peterjg

Reaction score
I found that using a marker float with a beach caster rod transformed my carp fishing on gravel pits from the late 80s. I clearly remember the first time I used a marker float that I had glued fins to - the increase in casting distance was amazing! No more casting out blind, depth, weed beds, gravel bars and silt beds identified.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Have there been any recent and New innovative ideas in Fishing that would change the way you currently fish?

We've had Hair Rigs, Pole Fishing to name a couple from the previous century, but, have we truly had anything since to rival these ideas?

Thanks
Steph.

The team at TckleTackle are amazed that you have not mentioned the countless products that they have produced through blue-sky, left field and out of the box imagineering that the company has staked its reputation on.

'Products you didn't know you wanted at prices that will make you cry' has always been our motto and always will be.......

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Graphene.
It really is the big new thing, as soon as somebody figures out a use for it.

I reckon this will be the next big thing. A sheet of this one atom thick can support the weight of a cat. It is one of the commonest materials, graphite; and they have found a way of interlocking the graphite atoms like superglue. At present they are more interested in its electrical conducting properties but, they will get round to looking at other uses.
I can see super strong, super thin light rods, hooks you can barely see and invisible line if they find a way of introducing suppleness into it.

C

chefster

Pole technology,hollow elastic,dacrons,puller bungs,puller kits,stotz,small flat method feeders,pellet feeders,high tech monos,seatbox design,seatbox attachments,pole rollers,clothing,Tackle is evolving all the time,some might not seem "new",but all tweaks make for more efficient fishing,unless you prefer old gear,in which case wouldnt affect you..Gazza