Do you shut down for winter?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Do you fish through the winter or pack your gear away and start again ion Spring?

I've got a good bib and brace set that keeps me warm unless we get extreme cold weather and I'm happy to break the ice to fish but my fishing buddy has said this year unless we go lure fishing and he can keep mobile and warm he's giving it a miss until the weather warms up

barbelboi

Reaction score
Although I'll take a couple of weeks break over the Christmas period I really enjoy winter fishing. As I tend to mainly fish the rivers, breaking the ice isn't usually a problem....:)

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

I like the solitude;)

I know, you're a Baggies supporter.....:D

nicepix

Reaction score
Years ago when I just coarse fished along with a few summer trips to Whitby I would pack up after Christmas until the new season began in June. The reason was that back then we used to get long periods of very cold clear days with little wind and the fishing was hard to say the least. Over recent years however those dog days of January and February don't occur nearly as much and so I do fish all year round. Mainly rivers in winter.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I keep going regardless. However, I pick my venues, pick my days and tend to keep sessions short. If it's not too windy, I'll be out 2/3 times or more in a week. This last week has been a write off due to the wind. Should probably have ventured out today, but I had bits to do and couldn't be bothered. I'll probably get out tomorrow.

B

binka

I fish on regardless, my Saturday mate did one day out of every weekend with me last winter but has missed a couple already this season and has just ducked out for tomorrow.

Mind you it looks like being a grueller with the very cold overnighter and clear skies, i'll give it a go anyway if only to burn a few sausages.

Bob Hornegold

Reaction score
Always fish through the winter if possible, best time for Specimen Fishing for many species !!

Only thing that slows me down are health issues, but they don't stop me if I really have that " Fisherman Intuition "

Bob

C

chefster

I always try to fish through winter,but tend to pick and choose match venues according to weather,i dont fish in team leagues so if i really dont fancy it,i,m not letting anyone down,,Gaz

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
A lovely time of year, sometimes cold and clear with some winter sun, and sometimes a mild spell for a few days when the temps rise close to double figures...

However, I don't do seriously minus temps or snow !!

ps Out tomorrow or Sunday, regardless..

wes79

Reaction score
Do you fish through the winter or pack your gear away and start again ion Spring?

I've got a good bib and brace set that keeps me warm unless we get extreme cold weather and I'm happy to break the ice to fish but my fishing buddy has said this year unless we go lure fishing and he can keep mobile and warm he's giving it a miss until the weather warms up

Mainly out for the Chub fishing and to try both Piking and targeting Gray's this winter, last winter I caught my first Barb in Feb which pretty much gave me enough excitement to give serious consideration to winter fishing, especially if the regular feed from fair weather anglers of previous months is absent, I figure it might bring a few fish searching ever harder in all their hunger or if their reserves are now limited.
Some good clothing, good safe common sense head on and a water that looks inviting, also as well as having the word of mouth to give some confidence and play it from there really, learn as I go along.

Use the cold to my advantage, but only if my health gives me permission!

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Shut down?? No fear. The winter icy roads make the most impact on venue choice.
It never ceases to amaze me how we don't know everything about fish . The latest chance of a tench on one club lake seems to be Christmas!
The roach will feed in another in the deeper swims in the cold yet the bigger perch that are supposed to be a greedy species give the most delicate of bites on the smallest of pinkies.
Years ago the men in white coats would have called on you if you went carp fishing much after October and now some hardy souls bivvy out in the coldest of conditions.
I just readjust my expectations and fish easier places.
I could not envisage not fishing.:wh

rubio

Reaction score
Feel like I might as well as I can't anything much at all lately. I will persist of course certain that next time out I'll pull off a wonder catch.

The bad one

Reaction score
Never have and hopefully never will stop fishing because it's winter. The footwear and clothing is there at a price, so you should never be cold on the bank. In the winter of 010/11 the river was all but frozen from source to mouth myself and a mate found the only ice free run of deepish water there was on our club lengths and we fished it from 3-9 00 PM with a an air temperature when we left down to -12. Never had a bite between us, not for the want of trying though!
Many many times over the last 25+ years I've fished after dark with temperatures down to -5 or more and the chub have gone on the munch and I've had as many as 12 fish, most over 4 and as big as 6lb. Fish that had I packed as the light went I would never have caught.
My mate who was with me in 010 put it right to a new member of our group who was having doubts about the weather. "You've got to man up if you want the really big chub out of the river Mate!"

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I was fanatical when I returned to fishing a few years ago, fishing many times on an iced over canal or pond now I hardly fish at all in the winter, reading all these parts though I might just give it a go.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I was fanatical when I returned to fishing a few years ago, fishing many times on an iced over canal or pond now I hardly fish at all in the winter, reading all these parts though I might just give it a go.
Wrap up warm and get down the cut again benny..
bash some bits and please report it on my thread, blank or not...

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Wrap up warm and get down the cut again benny..
bash some bits and please report it on my thread, blank or not...

There is a great spot where i know there are some great oerch and the plan was to fish a lob next to the far reeds, but there are also the motorcyclists who like to go past you as quick as possible and as close as possible , the druggies ( once saw a drug bust there ) and the kids who throw bricks so sometimes I get a bit discouraged.

I might avoid the hassle by going at first light but I suspect dusk is better for perch certainly the stretch comes alive at dusk in the summer with the smaller fish avoiding the predators ( some great pike in there too ).