River or Lake.

B

binka

Subject to the usual variables I would say river as a generalisation.

Given that fish can’t just lay up in flowing water without expending more energy than their stillwater counterparts they will in theory need to replace it more often by feeding and consuming more.

On the other hand given a mild spell following lots of rain and a flooded river I might just head for a stillwater depending on what I’m after but I certainly wouldn’t write off a flooded river for some good chub and barbel fishing.

Edited to add: I exclude commercials from the above as I couldn't say one way or the other (not knocking 'em).

nicepix

Reaction score
Generally I'd agree with Binka. :)

But given your location and from my own limited experience of French lakes and rivers, I'd opt for lakes simply because the rivers I fish don't get the attention that they do in the UK. No anglers = no bait going in and in my experience that means difficult fishing for cyprinids such as roach, carp and barbel.

In France, on the public waters, I'd expect that for roach, bream, carp and zander, the lakes will be the best bet. One main reason is that they will be fished, fish will be used to baits and you can more easily discover the hot spots by watching local anglers.

greenie62

Reaction score
River when I can - they tend not to freeze solid like local lakes up here! ;)

bigfish74

Reaction score
I can only say the rivers as thats were i do 99% of my fishing all year round just take the roving aproach rather than fishing static all day apart from kepping warm by moving around you will also find the fish as they will prefer different ares of the river

Andy

peterjg

Reaction score
No, no, no! You lot, stay on the puddles, don't start fishing rivers!

law

Reaction score
Both fish equally round my area.
But it depends what I'm after as to where I fish.

barbelboi

Reaction score
The rivers are most productive for me as that's where I spend most of my time - I do also enjoy a few trips for the the local gravel pit roach.....