Lunch Tongue

denzinho

Reaction score
Hi all,

I got a tin of Lunch tongue which is made by ye olde oak. Missus picked it up cus there wasn't any luncheon meat :eek:mg:.

Anyone used it?

B

binka

Yes, give it a go!

Not the canned variety but my old man ran a slaughterhouse all his life and there was often an ox’s tongue melting down in a pan of bubbling hot water at home when I was a kid, I often used to nick some when it was done and did quite well on it, from what I remember it was a nice firmness for hooking and had a good strong aroma.

I suspect the only reason it’s not more widely used is that it’s significantly more costly than Spam.

terry m

Reaction score
May be good bait, but whatever you do don't eat it!

I remember my grandmother serving up tongue sandwiches many decades ago. The thought of it still makes me retch.

sam vimes

Reaction score
So many smutty innuendos going begging!;):D:wh
Without stooping so low, I'd not waste lunch tongue on the fish, far better in your butties.
When compared to spam, luncheon meat, burgers and the like. Lunch tongue is superb quality meat.
Unfortunately, it's gone the same way as liver and kidney in the British culinary consciousness.

Last edited:
B

binka

I remember my grandmother serving up tongue sandwiches many decades ago. The thought of it still makes me retch.

Lol... Sorry to go off topic a bit but as you can imagine all sorts of things came into our household considering my old mans profession.

By far the worst was braun, I often used to nip downstairs in the middle of the night in a stooper as a kid with the nibbles and I could never remember doing it the next day but once actually woke myself up retching at the fridge halfway through one of my old mans braun sarnies that had been made for work the following day.

Hair rigged sweetbreads anyone?

wes79

Reaction score
Deffo give it a go!

you could alternatively Use half the tin for bait and put the rest in between a couple of slices of your favorite bread :D

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Pressed tongue The traditional way is to brine it for 24 hours, boil in fresh water for a minute, throw the water away, refill with fresh water bay leaves and peppercorns, bring to a rolling boil for about 2 hours until the skin is blistered and raising. Allow to cool in the water covered with a lid.
While still warm remove the skin with a sharp knife, tidy up the ragged edge around the root, remove the bone and put the whole thing in a pudding bowl, which looks as though it is a bit too small, a 1 pint bowl should be spot on depending on the size of the beast, put a saucer or small plate on top and then weigh it down. My Gran used the weights off her scales but you could use a brick covered in clingfilm.
Put it in a cool place overnight then slice for your sandwiches as required, this should keep for a week in the fridge.

If you are still feeling a bit squeamish remember, a tongue is only a muscle and is practically fat free.

You could add the holy trinity (garlic ginger and chilli) or any other combination of herbs and spices to the boiling liquor to bring it into the 21st century if you wanted to.

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Lunch Tongue is a maketing name for pig's tongue. Just doesn't have the ring to it that Ox Tongue does, even though OT is Cow tongue. As said, both are best served on proper Lancashire Ovenbottom Muffins. Yum yum!
As to using it as bait, it would't get that far with me :D

Terry D

Reaction score
I love both lunch tongue and ox tounge - in my sarnies. Far to good for the hook. I even have ox tongue in my sarnies for today.

terry m

Reaction score
Lol... Sorry to go off topic a bit but as you can imagine all sorts of things came into our household considering my old mans profession.

By far the worst was braun, I often used to nip downstairs in the middle of the night in a stooper as a kid with the nibbles and I could never remember doing it the next day but once actually woke myself up retching at the fridge halfway through one of my old mans braun sarnies that had been made for work the following day.

Hair rigged sweetbreads anyone?

Braun - heaven help us, but yes, my grandparents participated in that also.

Now liver and kidneys are wonderful.

Reaction score
One of the joys in travelling to Central and Eastern Europe is a plate of calves tongues for lunch. Lightly fried in a batter coating...like eating the most melt in the mouth beef you've ever had!

Probably not everybodies cup of tea!

Be interested to see the results of pressed tongue as a bait

Stuthebroo

Reaction score
Lovely meat though not sure how well it will stay on a hook.
I was once offered Ox Tongue for lunch on a Polish ship at work once. Like Ronseal it was what it said on the tin, a whole Ox tongue, boiled and in a light creamy sauce. Tasted delicious but did make me feel a bit queezy looking at it on the plate.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Cows tongue all dripping with with strings of gooey slobber and saliva, Mmmmm yummy. Cows stomach lining, where the cow begins the manufacturing process of those nice sloppy brown pancakes, how delicious. Kidneys Mmmmm the faint mouthwatering aroma of the animals p!ss. It's almost enough to make you turn veggie.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Ox tongue and a smear of colemans mustard, absolutely lovely.

Liver, onions, mash and peas.

Home made steak n kidney pie

---------- Post added at 17:32 ---------- Previous post was at 17:29 ----------

When we were kids and stopped at my grans we used to have trotters. Grandad had honeycomb tripe or sugar butties and none of it has done me any harm, honest.

denzinho

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. I will definitely be using it and when I open it up I will have a taste as recommended. all my local rivers are up at the moment with more rain forecast so no fishing for me for at least a week.