Balanced bread crust?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Anyone still does this, those old fishing books where you carve the side off a crusty loaf Lay it between two sheets of wet cloth over night with some heavy weight on it. Usually under the chest of drawers much to the dismay of your old Mum..
Remember those old diagrams of a lump of LMeat or cheese paste balanced with a piece of this crust to achieve negative weight.
I bet it would still fool a few old wary fish.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I recall seeing on Tight Lines that if you microwave bread and then roll it with a rolling or roll it then microwave it then you can get a bread punch and make small circles of bread that float and can be balanced with small shot near the hook to create a wafting bread bait

The bad one

Reaction score
Mark been fooling 1000s of chub for years just on the crust cut from the loaf. Paul just shorten the hooklink works every time :)

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
It also catches barbel. When I use cheese paste it's either wrapped around a piece of crust or a pellet. Most of my cheese paste successes come when using it with crust. Get the Bad One to tell you about the hooks to use.

B

binka

I like to balance crust with a smear of cheesepaste too, often though i'll be far cruder and just anchor the buoyant crust with a BB anywhere between 1" - 6" from the hook, usually a size four.

Had some nice chub and barbel doing this and usually produces good positive bites from the chub, the barbel are their usual selves anyway and it often produces a few fish when they're getting a bit wary of the pellet and the pink peril.

greenie62

Reaction score
..... Get the Bad One to tell you about the hooks to use.

TBO's reply:
No John, walls have eyes and ears, its our secret

I realised why he wasn't 'fessing-up' to the choice of hooks when I saw Binka's post - TBO had only gone and left a loose one of these monsters on Binka's chair before he launched himself into it - Hence the animated .gif!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I recall seeing on Tight Lines that if you microwave bread and then roll it with a rolling or roll it then microwave it then you can get a bread punch and make small circles of bread that float and can be balanced with small shot near the hook to create a wafting bread bait

Not as much fun though as watching your mums face when she finds all the crust from her bread missing and someones cut squares out of her best sheets for cloth and her chest of drawers are lop-sided.
That's the problem with fishing these days, all the fun gone out of it with all this high tech stuff like microwaves. (only joking)

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

I like to balance crust with a smear of cheesepaste too, often though i'll be far cruder and just anchor the buoyant crust with a BB anywhere between 1" - 6" from the hook, usually a size four.

Had some nice chub and barbel doing this and usually produces good positive bites from the chub, the barbel are their usual selves anyway and it often produces a few fish when they're getting a bit wary of the pellet and the pink peril.

I usually anchor crust with a BB a few inches from the hook. A small piece of crust on a 14 hook anchored like this is also very good big roach. Caught quite a few on crust like this in the river. I wondered if a negative weight or just sinking with a balance of crust and a heavier paste of cheese or meat would be better.

B

binka

I wondered if a negative weight or just sinking with a balance of crust and a heavier paste of cheese or meat would be better.

I'm not sure about better Mark but it would certainly work I would have thought, I tend to leave plenty of crust showing instead of wrapping it completely when I'm using it with paste and I smear it particularly around where the hook holds the bait on both sides as it gives me a bit more confidence that the bait is still there, especially in heavier flows.

There's also the added flavour/smell attraction too as well as the buoyancy aspect.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I'm not sure about better Mark but it would certainly work I would have thought, I tend to leave plenty of crust showing instead of wrapping it completely when I'm using it with paste and I smear it particularly around where the hook holds the bait on both sides as it gives me a bit more confidence that the bait is still there, especially in heavier flows.

There's also the added flavour/smell attraction too as well as the buoyancy aspect.

Good point Binka, crust tends to go a bit soggy on its own. I fancy a bit of crust just smeared with dairylea. Just thought about that. Not so much a balanced bait just like the idea.
Just before Christmas I was fishing a very flooded river and for want of something better to take I took some dairylea triangles and bread. It was cold and the dairylea was soft but hardened enough to put a ball of it on the hook and just held enough in the cold water. I felt in the dirty water I needed something a bit more than bread to get a scent going down the river and I caught a couple of nice Chub in difficult conditions. I didn't think to smear a bit of crust with it. Just a thought.