The Greys Bewick and other pin chat thread..

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
In order to keep the "How did you get on" thread on topic I suggest we chat about pins on this thread..
I have a Bewick and have removed the White plastic handles altogether and wind in with my finger in a hole.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Peter, try looking through the "how did you get on thread" and you'll see there's lots of posts that arn't reports on a days fishing so why pick on this particular subject. Threads often have little conversations before going back on subject that's just how they are. As far as i'm aware people where just comenting off the back of a catch report.
Fair enough though Peter it is your thread after all but to keep it on track (as I don't want to spoil your thread) i'll either make my own thread up or simply not bother doing any reports :).

seth49

Reaction score
Month or two ago I bought a Adcock stanton of eBay, It was very tidy when I got it. But the graphite reel seat was very thin and didn't fit modern reel seats properly, it was too slack a fit between reel and rod, so I decided to glue some cork floor tile to it and then sand to fit.

That worked a treat, so I then cut a strip of cork to fit over the pins that the line goes over to round it of better, so the line would come of smoother, then I wanted to take spool of to put a drop of oil on the bearings.

Now I've seen a picture of the tool that comes with the reel, it's a circular piece of metal with a slot in it that goes over the thread in the centre of the reel and fits in the slots at either side.so a bit of work with the multi tool and I made one out of a one pence piece.

Bit of fun taking spool off took the nut off but couldn't budge it. Finally got by putting the nut on a few threads, thumbs on nut and fingers round rim of spool and squeezed hard and it came free. Quick lube and back together put some line on,ready to go.

Took it for a try on the ribble on Monday didn't expect much the river was gin clear, managed a chub about three pounds and four small grayling.

Liked the reel it performed well, the line came of the reel very freely, smooth as silk,and its got some nice finger sized holes to reel in with.?

john step

Reaction score
and the woodpecker said "gawd bless my soul, take it out take it out remove it"
WOW.. that song provoked a memory from my childhood. Do you know if it was a genuine song or a "rude" rhyme that was banded about?
One wet playtime at junior school in Dagenham two young female teachers had the whole school singing this in "rounds".
Many years later my wife has insisted this was a rude rhyme and teachers would never countenance it.
Was she right??
Anyone know?

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have a Bewick and have removed the White plastic handles altogether and wind in with my finger in a hole.

I've never really understood this thing about removing the handles. I dont personally find they get in the way and I stick me finger in the spokes to wind in. I dont really see any significant advantage in removing them.

Line guards are a different matter. I have an LG on my Youngs Purist but that is my stillwater pin. No place for a lineguard on pin used primarily for trotting IMO.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Month or two ago I bought a Adcock stanton of eBay, It was very tidy when I got it. But the graphite reel seat was very thin and didn't fit modern reel seats properly, it was too slack a fit between reel and rod, so I decided to glue some cork floor tile to it and then sand to fit.

That worked a treat, so I then cut a strip of cork to fit over the pins that the line goes over to round it of better, so the line would come of smoother, then I wanted to take spool of to put a drop of oil on the bearings.

Now I've seen a picture of the tool that comes with the reel, it's a circular piece of metal with a slot in it that goes over the thread in the centre of the reel and fits in the slots at either side.so a bit of work with the multi tool and I made one out of a one pence piece.

Bit of fun taking spool off took the nut off but couldn't budge it. Finally got by putting the nut on a few threads, thumbs on nut and fingers round rim of spool and squeezed hard and it came free. Quick lube and back together put some line on,ready to go.

Took it for a try on the ribble on Monday didn't expect much the river was gin clear, managed a chub about three pounds and four small grayling.

Liked the reel it performed well, the line came of the reel very freely, smooth as silk,and its got some nice finger sized holes to reel in with.?

Nice story Seth. :)

I bought one off eBay a while back and struggled to get the spool off. In the end I sent it back to the guy who currently owns the company and he refurbished the reel so it looked like new, and fitted the new type of sealed bearings. It is a lovely reel to use and has character too.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
WOW.. that song provoked a memory from my childhood. Do you know if it was a genuine song or a "rude" rhyme that was banded about?
One wet playtime at junior school in Dagenham two young female teachers had the whole school singing this in "rounds".
Many years later my wife has insisted this was a rude rhyme and teachers would never countenance it.
Was she right??
Anyone know?

Well that didn't take long did it ? The Bewick thread has suddenly become the Woodpecker song thread .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I'll try it this week, casting has been a major issue.
Cheers S-Kippy

Probably thinking a bit too much about it and trying too hard, mate.Slow everything down a bit and try to keep everything "smooth". It may not feel like it but its really not as hard to cast competently as some people might have you believe. I wasn't brought up using a pin so I had to teach myself and ,not unlike fly casting, it all seems terribly complicated at first until you find a rhythm that suits you......and suddenly it will all seem so obvious. Bit like driving really...you end up doing things automatically without really thinking about them. Stick at it...it will come good.

I'm no great expert or stylist when it comes to either fly casting or using a pin but I can do both sufficiently well now though I struggled at first. Anyone who says otherwise has a very poor memory.

Keep the faith. I enjoy using a pin so much that I do so even when I really shouldn't. :D

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll try it this week, casting has been a major issue.

I'd not used a line guard until I got the Hardy. The Okuma and Greys pins didn't have the option. After reading what the connoisseurs had to say, I took it off the reel before I even used it. Since then, I've mucked about with the handles (on or off, one fitted with two counterweight, etc) and added and removed the line guard. Since November(ish) I've had a full compliment of handles and the line guard fitted. As I don't bat to retrieve, Wallis cast or cast off the side, the line guard is no issue at all to me. I currently have no intention of taking it off again.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
I'd not used a line guard until I got the Hardy. The Okuma and Greys pins didn't have the option. After reading what the connoisseurs had to say, I took it off the reel before I even used it. Since then, I've mucked about with the handles (on or off, one fitted with two counterweight, etc) and added and removed the line guard. Since November(ish) I've had a full compliment of handles and the line guard fitted. As I don't bat to retrieve, Wallis cast or cast off the side, the line guard is no issue at all to me. I currently have no intention of taking it off again.

Left it as it was delivered up to now Sam, need to do something to improve casting

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well that didn't take long did it ? The Bewick thread has suddenly become the Woodpecker song thread .

Well god bless my soul, lol.

I too prefer a line guard on a pin for still water work, I use a Rapidex which has a cage a bit like a some fly reels. I have used it for trotting and I've had some very nice fish on it.

I now use a Sheffield for trotting, which would be perfect apart from the stupid check knob.

My first pin was a Speedia which now has a bit of play in the bearings but is still a good trotting reel.

I did look at buying the Berwick but it looked a bit quirky at the time.

Last edited: