Christchurch Angling Club. What is going on?

pf0x

Reaction score
What's going on? I was a member a few years and was amazed at the variety of waters. I ended up living too far away to justify a ticket anymore.

They then lost the Royalty and Lower Stour to Ringwood, didn't they? Was that 'political'?

Why is/was Ringwood Club expanding so much and CAC declining?

They've lost a few other waters and now they've lost their 'jewel in the crown', Somerley Estate.

I read on their site they've just sold Breach Pond for £250,000 to 'stabilise' their finances.

But surely they will be saving ££££Thousands by no longer leasing Somerley?

What is going on?

sam vimes

Reaction score
What is going on?

I hope that anyone that really knows won't be explaining the ins and outs of it on a public forum. Whatever the details, it shouldn't really be for public consumption. If folks really wish to know what might be going on at any club, be a member and turn up at the AGM.

pf0x

Reaction score
I thought the internet was invented to post scurrilous rumour and conjecture? :D

I appreciate that negotiations and leases have to remain private (for all parties). I was just looking for general info.

Like most clubs they're very keen to tell you about how wonderful their waters are when they have them but strangely silent when they lose them.

pf0x

Reaction score
Thanks Neil. I did love Somerley but crikey it was hard work. I lived too far away and didn't know the 'best' swims etc. Can't blame the Estate for doing what is in their best interests I suppose.....

Just looking at my 2007 book and comparing with their website there is no mention of the following river stretches so I assume they've been lost?:

Christchurch Harbour
Lower Stour
Clay Pool
Longham - Highmead
Gains Cross
Moors River
Upper Burgate
Somerley
Dudmoor
Avon Tyrell

Just been looking at the CAC website and they've just announced a new water on the Avon. Sopley. But they had this in 2007 when I was a member??? (unless it's a different stretch?)

Seems their carp waters are poor too (compared to another large local club). With only two 'specimen' waters. With massive popularity in carp fishing that would strike me as somewhat of an oversight.

terry m

Reaction score
I have been a member for many many years, but to be honest the shocking mis-management of the club that had both directly and indirectly led to loss of waters is unforgivable. Thankfully the individual that oversaw that era has now left, and the current crop seem like a decent group, although they have been given a hospital pass.

It will get worse before it gets better, simply because this is the year that will almost certainly result in some level of exodus because of the loss of Somerley.

I have let my membership lapse as there are no waters I want to fish anymore. I, like many have joined Ringwood and also the Somerley syndicate, not cheap but if you can afford it then why not?

pf0x

Reaction score
It will get worse before it gets better, simply because this is the year that will almost certainly result in some level of exodus because of the loss of Somerley.

I have let my membership lapse as there are no waters I want to fish anymore. I, like many have joined Ringwood and also the Somerley syndicate, not cheap but if you can afford it then why not?

I did wonder about the Somerely effect and how many members wouldn't renew.

I wouldn't criticise anyone for joining the new syndicate. In fact, I would wonder why they didn't! It's one of the nicest places in the country to fish.

It's very difficult because on the one hand I want strong clubs with affordable memberships for all. But on the other hand coarse angling can be ridiculously undervalued.

When my small local club increases its prices by a whopping and eye-wateringly outrageous £4.00 after a 3 year price freeze year the tackle dealer has to put up with endless moaning and complaints.......... :eek:mg:

robertroach

Reaction score
I am one of those who will not renew with Christchurch. I really only joined it last year to take advantage of the fishing at Somerley while I could afford it through the club. I can't afford the £450 (I think they said) for the syndicate, especially when I have quite a distance to travel to fish it.
The fishing there seems to have changed a lot over the years. I used to fish it a lot and caught chub, most of them 3-4 lbs from swims all along it. Last year most of the swims I fished were chubless, but on the other hand when I did find them they were all 4lbs+. I had quite a few blank days, but also caught PB chub, barbel, and carp from one of the lakes.
Overall, however, I have good memories, and a wonderful environment to be in.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Hi Pf0x
I, like most of my fishing friends, have not rejoined CAC. As you say they have lost most of their best waters over the last few years :wh. In my opinion what they have left does not warrant the subs.
I would recommend joining Ringwood instead as they have the best selection of waters in this area.
You mentioned the loss of Breach Pond in your post. Just out of interest this has just been added to the Ringwood book.

pf0x

Reaction score
Hi Pf0x
I, like most of my fishing friends, have not rejoined CAC. As you say they have lost most of their best waters over the last few years :wh. In my opinion what they have left does not warrant the subs.
I would recommend joining Ringwood instead as they have the best selection of waters in this area.
You mentioned the loss of Breach Pond in your post. Just out of interest this has just been added to the Ringwood book.

Forgot to say, I really enjoyed your Chub fishing articles on the main site. Thanks for writing them.

I noticed they're still there but the photos don't load?

There are some monsters about on the Hants Avon, eh?! I never caught one unfortunately but saw a few!