Canal floats?

big bad barry

Reaction score
I plan to do some serious canal fishing this year, I am a traditional rod and line fisherman, anybody offer any good advice on float choice? Would it be possible to use Drennan Dibbers with rod and line?
Thank you
Martin

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I have used dibber floats for close in fishing the canal. For casting across to the far shelf you need a heavier float. Drennan crystal insert waggler is good for this.

The Runner

Reaction score
Generally use the Drennan Glow-tip wagglers myself (think that's their name)- perfect for most canal fishing with a really fine antenna- would go to something with a slightly thicker tip if I was fishing well overdepth though as the fine tip means that they can drag under a bit too readily.

dangermouse

Reaction score
For close in fishing I`ll quite often use a pole float attached with a rubber at the top and bottom.

Keith M

Reaction score
I plan to do some serious canal fishing this year, I am a traditional rod and line fisherman, anybody offer any good advice on float choice? Would it be possible to use Drennan Dibbers with rod and line?
Thank you
Martin

Martin here's an article from my web site called 'A beginners Guide to Float fishing on a Canal' which might be of interest to you if you want to start doing a bit of Canal fishing on the float.

A Beginners Guide to Float Fishing on a Canal - by Keith Manger (BoldBear)

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
What Canal will you be fishing Barry? and what sections?

You might find someone on the forum who has fished it before and could put you in a couple of the better swims.

Tight lines

Keith

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
To cast close under the far bank (standard canal approach) I would opt for something like a 2AA insert waggler for control, maybe more in the wind, on a running line. If my eyesight was up to it a glow tip antenna would also be ideal.