Daiwa v Shimano

smudger172

Reaction score
I am going to be treating myself to three new reels for the coming bream season. Have narrowed it down to two possibilities. Shimano DL-FA or the new Daiwa Emcast in the 4000 size. Has anybody owned or used these reels and can give me there opinion. I have owned both shimano and daiwa reels in the past and have no favorites.....

Cheers Andy

B

binka

Don't know about the Shimmy Andy but I've got three Emcasts, the first I bought in a 3500 size for barbelling and on the back of that and being impressed with it I then bought two of the 5000 size for my piking.

In all cases they've been pretty bomb proof (and they need to be with me), nice adjustment on the freespool and a nice drag up front, smooth action and a very positive feel that they're well screwed together.

The one slight criticism I have, even though it's caused me no problems, is that the line has a tendency to rest at the furthest point of the bail arm wire before actually settling into the pick up roller but the thicker the line the less of an issue it is and it soon settles into where it should as soon as any tension is put on it.

There are quite a few reviews if you do a quick Google, all that I've read have been very positive.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm still a fan of shimano reels but I didn't like their little baitrunners and sold them on. Those daiwa ones do seem to be worth a look at.
Personally i'd be looking at some old shimano 5010's or GTE 5000's, you can still pick them up in mint nick or even new unused !

smudger172

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback lads.. I had read a few of the reviews but feel its better to ask people that have got the reels as i bought some FOX reels on reading the reviews and boy was that a costly mistake. Will be going for the Emcast..

Cheers again Andy

B

binka

Thanks for the feedback lads.. I had read a few of the reviews but feel its better to ask people that have got the reels as i bought some FOX reels on reading the reviews and boy was that a costly mistake. Will be going for the Emcast..

Cheers again Andy

You've done exactly the same as me Andy, moving from the Fox to the Daiwas.

I honestly can't believe just how bad my pair of Stratos 10000E's were... Two spools collapsed, the auto-engage failed on one of them, the handle failed to tighten properly on the other and one of the baitrunner levers snapped clean off :eek:mg:

Never again.

law

Reaction score
I've had Daiwas strip gears before. Twice.
Although I liked the reels, it seems that the small versions are only meant for small fish. 'Accidently' (if that's the right word) hook into a biggun on the small onces and the gears don't like it.
I was an avid Daiwa fan for many years till this happened to me twice.
So went to Shimanos and haven't had any problems since.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Makes you scared to shake hands with him, don't it?? :wh

I'm the Scouser. I shouldn't have to be counting MY fingers afterwards......

terry m

Reaction score
For spod and marker fishing reels Daiwa are tops. For everything else nothing comes close to Shimano.

The remarks about Fox reels are interesting. I have often picked up and 'felt' the Fox reels but they just do not feel right to me. I did not realise that they were unreliable.

smudger172

Reaction score
For spod and marker fishing reels Daiwa are tops. For everything else nothing comes close to Shimano.

The remarks about Fox reels are interesting. I have often picked up and 'felt' the Fox reels but they just do not feel right to me. I did not realise that they were unreliable.

I had four of the 10,000s and the baitrunner handle snapped on three of them. The knob that controls the tension of the bait runner sheared off on two of them. On another occasion the spool would revolve but would not go up and down so all the line went on the same point. One spool collapsed trying to pull out of an underwater snag... If you believe all the fox blurb these reels had two years testing............................... My Ar$e

law

Reaction score
The guy I fished France with fornthe last 2 years had Stratos reels.
A coup!e of times Id have to hit a run on his rods if he was having a **** and I agree, they feel cheap and plasticy.
For a reel that is t cheap, they shouldnt be like that.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A big carp angling friend of mine is one of those ''Brand slaves'' and he likes everything FOX, well everything bar the reels! He still has sleepless nights trying to come to terms with the fact that this great company produces such inferior products!!!

tisme

Reaction score
Hi folks, I've read the posts with interest, has anybody had any issues with the line lay in the Diawa Emcast, I bought a couple of 4000's and the line lay was diabolicle. They where returned the following day. Any comments would be appreciated.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have been critical in the past about the line lay on the Daiwa reels... it does seem a tad..... messy...? especially on the Basia's for the money I'd want it to be like a cotton reel.... but then I suppose that Shimano's are only marginally better... the best line lay I've seen on a "Big-Pit" was on a Wychwood Riot 65
Can't knock it... shame their clutches are pants;):wh

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The one slight criticism I have, even though it's caused me no problems, is that the line has a tendency to rest at the furthest point of the bail arm wire before actually settling into the pick up roller but the thicker the line the less of an issue it is and it soon settles into where it should as soon as any tension is put on it.

That's interesting. I've read about that issue before with the Emcasts. Its kinda putting me off as I fancy a new reel for me new barbel rod and Daiwa seem to have discontinued the Regal Z which I love dearly. Its a bit odd because the Emcast [to me] looks like an updated Regal Z with a non folding handle.

Is the line catching on the joint where the bail arm joins the roller assembly ?

B

binka

That's interesting. I've read about that issue before with the Emcasts. Its kinda putting me off as I fancy a new reel for me new barbel rod and Daiwa seem to have discontinued the Regal Z which I love dearly. Its a bit odd because the Emcast [to me] looks like an updated Regal Z with a non folding handle.

Is the line catching on the joint where the bail arm joins the roller assembly ?

Yes, right in the groove centre pic...

In all honesty I wouldn't let it put you off as it only occasionally happens and it's a cracking reel for the money, any half average barbel bite will soon pull the line onto the roller if you forget to manually check.

You shouldn't have to though...

Edit: For being naughty :)

Last edited: