Long distance tip work: Braid v's low stretch mono?

B

binka

A bit of an old chestnut of mine is this but always worth testing the water every now and again.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the pros and cons of braid versus low stretch mono for long distance tip work?

Personally I’ve found that braid is uncompromisingly better in terms of bite detection but regardless of what I do or how long I soak a spool for I invariably encounter the dreaded wind knot whereas I have some Browning low stretch feeder mono which is a little duller on the bite detection but relatively trouble free.

Anyone have a cure for the braid/wind knot problem or do you prefer low stretch mono regardless and why?

aebitim

Reaction score
A bit of an old chestnut of mine is this but always worth testing the water every now and again.

What are everyone’s thoughts on the pros and cons of braid versus low stretch mono for long distance tip work?

Personally I’ve found that braid is uncompromisingly better in terms of bite detection but regardless of what I do or how long I soak a spool for I invariably encounter the dreaded wind knot whereas I have some Browning low stretch feeder mono which is a little duller on the bite detection but relatively trouble free.

Anyone have a cure for the braid/wind knot problem or do you prefer low stretch mono regardless and why?

My solution is to use both, 10yds of mono as a stretch leader then braid and dont overfill the spool.

greenie62

Reaction score
....Anyone have a cure for the braid/wind knot problem or do you prefer low stretch mono regardless and why?

I've used braid for many years - Spiderwire - mainly in Sea Fishing - and didn't get the wind knot problems until I started using it for feeder fishing! :confused:
Reckon this only happens when you get loose line from overfilling the spool - as Tim says - or don't keep the line under tension. Sea fishing weights 100-150g help in keeping the tension on ;) whilst fiddling with your end-tackle! :eek:
The other thing is to avoid opening the bail arm unless during casting - use the bait-runner lever to release small amounts of line under tension.
Again - from the Sea fishing habit - I always use a 'shock-leader' of mono to give a little bit of elasticity to the terminal end - although this is usually a lot less than the 15m of tapered 60-80lb used at the sea-side!
Tight Lines (That's a hint too) ! :D:eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Steve, maybe if you use a slightly higher BS/ thicker braid it will help cut out the wind knot problem.
I know when I used 8lb powerpro for spinning I got those wind knots but I now use 15lb and it's put an end to them.

rubio

Reaction score
Yep Aebitm, don't overfill and try to keep even tension winding on initially.

greenie62

Reaction score
Good point Tigger,
I've just had another look at the 25lb Spiderwire braid and it's a totally different beast to the recently acquired 30lb Maxximus PE braid which seems to be a lot finer and less dense and thus more inclined to be 'blow-away'. I'll keep my eye on it!
Tight Lines :thumbs:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Wind knots and tangles are part and parcel of using braid. Bite detection is a little better on a Quivertip due to the low resistance braid offers.
However, for long chuck feeder fishing, a heavier tip is necessary to cast, thus making bite detection less visible... A double edge sword innit?