If you haven't got an EA Fishing Licence... Beware

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
Hi guys

If you haven't got an EA Licence... Don't fish until you have.

EA Enforcement Officers are hitting local Lakes.(North West and no doubt elsewhere)

They checked Cleveley Bridge, Lancashire, 2pm Monday and caught two people fishing without a licence. Then moved on to check more lakes in the area without warning.

50p per day average cost for standard licence. It isn't worth the risk. (I don't think so)

terry m

Reaction score
They checked Cleveley Bridge, Lancashire, 2pm Monday and caught two people fishing without a licence.

I wonder what the consequences of fishing with no licence were for those individuals.

Agree with the sentiments of the post, but until they get tough with these people, then nothing will change.

pjcoarsefishing

Reaction score
I wonder what the consequences of fishing with no licence were for those individuals.

Agree with the sentiments of the post, but until they get tough with these people, then nothing will change.

Hi

They were made pack up fishing for the day and served a penalty notice. I thought it was a fixed penalty notice, but asking one EA guy he says... 'we just pass it on and it goes to court, it is up to the judge then'

Does anyone on the forum know what happens? Fixed penalty fine or court?

The reason I add the thread is to create awareness they are out and about! I prefer to read messages warning they are about then messages of people actually saying they were caught.

The bad one

Reaction score
PJ there are very few who would come on here and post they got caught without a licence as crucifixion would be their fate!

law

Reaction score
I had mine checked at Bury Hill on Saturday for the first time in nearly 30 years of fishing.
They must be short of funds...

caelan

Reaction score
GOODi think its great that so many are out checking the lakes up an down the country

cattyfatty

Reaction score
a lad on the lake im fishing got pulled up last September 2014 and was fined this march 2015 and got around £220 fine in court for his troubles and banned from the water from the fishing club.

stumpy59

Reaction score
A few years ago I went to Willinghurst. It was 1st day of the season. On the way I stopped at the P.O. in Guildford road. The post master was at schools sports day and was not expected back till 12 and as such the post office section of the shop was shut.
Having travelled 30 odd miles to get there I went fishing.
One hour into the session and the E.A man appeared.
I never had a licence and broke the law. It was as simple as that.
I showed my fishing wallet containing a licence for every year for about ten years previous. I told of the local post office less than three miles up the road and the fact I went into get a licence. The guy was not interested. He reported me.
I can even remember getting Southern licences ,Thames water licences, ect and have never evaded my dues.
Later I returned to the P.O. and took the details of the lady in the shop who was happy to stand as a witness.
I wrote to the E.A. and told my story of woe asking them to check their records. They were not interested.
I received a summons with the chance to plead guilty by post. I pleaded guilty giving all the facts and proof that I have always purchased a licence. The E.A. would NOT oblige me and provide information on how many licences I have had. I can tell you though it must be over 50 years worth.
It went to court with my letter of explanation attached. I believe i was fined £40 and £60 costs, it was about £100 in total. Apparently I got off lightly for my heinous offence.
I fully support the EA and always have.
I was however a little disappointed that , given all the facts, the EA officer could have shown leniency. OR the EA could have show leniency OR the Magistrate in the case. Justice was served.
Probably the worst bit was having my details taken on the bankside feeling everyone staring at me knowing I did not have the licence.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
These may sound like silly questions, but..............

1. How long have you had to have a licence to go fishing.

2. Where would I get one from.

3. How much are they, (I'm a pensioner, can I get one cheaper).

4. If these EA, (who are they), bailiff people get you, can you buy one off them, if not why not.

5. I've been fishing a long time, (i'm 72 you know), why do I need one now in my twilight years.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

rubio

Reaction score
I expect your carer would have thought of it for you. If not try the Greville Janner plea and point out how senile you are!

nicepix

Reaction score
Hi

They were made pack up fishing for the day and served a penalty notice. I thought it was a fixed penalty notice, but asking one EA guy he says... 'we just pass it on and it goes to court, it is up to the judge then'

Does anyone on the forum know what happens? Fixed penalty fine or court?

The reason I add the thread is to create awareness they are out and about! I prefer to read messages warning they are about then messages of people actually saying they were caught.

It is explained here: Salmon and Freshwater Fisheries Act 1975

nogoodboyo

Reaction score
That's a sorry tale Stumpy.
Seems like a genuine mistake.
And just to be pedantic it's about 50p a week for a standard license rather than per day.

sagalout

Reaction score
Merv I think you forgot to add a foot note stating how delicious the barbequed barbel are.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
These may sound like silly questions, but..............

1. How long have you had to have a licence to go fishing.

2. Where would I get one from.

3. How much are they, (I'm a pensioner, can I get one cheaper).

4. If these EA, (who are they), bailiff people get you, can you buy one off them, if not why not.

5. I've been fishing a long time, (i'm 72 you know), why do I need one now in my twilight years.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Sorry, one more question, how many Barbel, (above 10lb), am I allowed to take for the pot ???

Thank you Sagalout...:thumbs:

terry m

Reaction score
I always buy a licence (two actuallY0 every year, and have always done so.....

But, there is another angle to this.

I pay ~£50 per year for two licences, in c40 years of fishing I have had them checked perhaps 5 times. So with a fine of 4.25 x the cost, the risk vs reward may suggest that it is better to wing it?

stumpy59

Reaction score
What annoyed me about being reported was that even petty criminals get a caution and are let off for the 1st offence. When shoplifters commit offences they are unlikely to get more than a £50 fine . You can commit traffic offences and get a verbal warning from police yet the EA officers seem to exercise no discretion whatsoever. It is black and white to them. Not just the enforcement officers but their prosecution department. How is that balanced justice.

Any objective 3rd party observer could see that when I was reported I had a reasonable excuse and could even produce many other licences from many previous years and a warning would have sufficed.

I fully support the EA but I do not believe they actually like fisherman. They are determined to generate as much revenue as possible in any way they can.

I am not bitter and twisted about this....Honest :mad:

The law is an ass and is upside down .

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
I know I put this up a few years ago, so the detail is mainly forgotten for which I apologise.

An angler, If I remember correctly he was a serving soldier on leave, was fishing a local pond without a licence, the EA bailiff came along and of course caught him. BUT, and this is absolutely true, he watched the anglers tackle while he went to the local Post office for a licence.

I know they were unusual circumstances, but they obviously can use discretion.

nicepix

Reaction score
Sorry, one more question, how many Barbel, (above 10lb), am I allowed to take for the pot ???

Thank you Sagalout...:thumbs:

Merv,
You can only take 6 fish of any size from still waters. But as river fish are much easier to catch the limit bag is one barbel up to 5lb in weight.

Hope that helps.