Sywell Tenching

pikepro1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm heading over to Sywell Reservoir next week in the hope of some of its famous tench fishing. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of tench fishing Sywell or fairly large reservoirs in general? Been trying to read up as much as I can but there is so much conflicting advice I am getting quite confused by it!! Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!

big bad barry

Reaction score
Never fished it but it looks good, the website recommends the "dam wall" as a good spot, let me know how you get on, may try it myself as it's not too far for me!
Enjoy it anyway, it's not all about catching fish but it's a bonus if you do!
Martin

pikepro1

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll report back! An article by the Tenchfishers stated that Sywell is an acknowledged boilie venue, then I have read several things about boilies not being that good a tench bait. I think I might cover all options and create a mix of particles, maggots and a few small boilies so I have a few hookbait choices.

caelan

Reaction score
never fished it my self a mate of mine did many times back in the late 1998/99
caught a few nice fish worm /corn get plenty of hemp in your feed good luck
I will look out for your catch report martin

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Pikepro1........

Try Tiger nuts, could also bring you big Roach,, or Casters, float fished, laid on. Move further down, towards the Oaks swims.

Please let us know how you go on, there's a 'Tench Challenge' on the site don'cha know, Sywell's due a visit.

pikepro1

Reaction score
Didn't realise tigers were good for tench, thanks! Merv, regarding the `oak swims, are these down the right side as you look from the dam? Didn't realise there was a tench competition on! Would be nice to get into the big girls!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
In keeping with many other veinues Sywell is but a shadow of its former self regarding the Tech possibilities.

We had a weekend Fish-In there a few years ago with some excellent and experienced anglers and the results were poor to say the least.

Naturally there are probably a few larger sdpecimens still swimming around, but nothing like the quantites of past years.

Good luck for your trip and let us know how is all goes . . . . . .

pikepro1

Reaction score
It is sad that you read about so many places are a shadow of their former selves. I did read that in 2011 I think it was, Sywell had 1500 small tench stocked to boost the numbers so hopefully they will be doing well. Just checked the forecast, we are due some warm south westerly winds the beginning of next week so hopefully they continue for my session on the Friday! Would be typical that it switches round to the east on Thursday night!

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
well it was pretty horrendous when a mate and I went 2 years ago.... dunno about now.... but the weed moves about.... you can rake a swim and a few hours later you have to do it all again... tis a pain inna chuff

maritimesbob

Reaction score
I fished this place a few times back in the late 1980s and even then it was reputed as a good Tench location by local tackle dealers. At the time I lived a few miles away in Kettering.

Big reserviors and gravel pits were about all there was for stillwaters, before the small commercial fisheries came along.

The dam wall was always favoured by the locals. I do remember it getting very weedy during the summer. Also some big pike in there from what I remember.

Corn, lobworms and flake was my bait, but again that was before all the newer modern baits came along. I used a simple running leger rig.

Thinking back to Sywell, those places seem daunting now compared to the 1 acre commercials we have now!

pikepro1

Reaction score
Just got back from my Sywell session. What a lovely place to blank! Felt like I fished well, one rod on red maggots and the other on a groundbait feeder. Not a single bite all day despite trying a banquet of baits. Arrived very early and fished through to dusk. Can't wait to get back there, I need to do some research on large stillwater tench fishing!