Berries as bait question, blackcurrents, red currents etc

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have several of these bushes in my garden, blackcurrants, redcurrants and whitecurrants. They tend not to ripen too well and are sometimes a bit sharp.
I was wondering if these could work as a bait and a way of sweetening them up a bit but, keeping them whole so they do not turn into a mush.
Anyone ever tried these, I was thinking they look like big elder berries.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Elderberries on the hook are still ( more or less ) whole and must be virtually tasteless to fish. Yes, some leakage of juice must occur where the hook goes through the berry but they wouldn't know that until they take them, so I cannot see why the black version of three you mention wouldn't work.
Not too sure about red or white though....

Where to use them ; In my experiences with elderberry I can only say that running water rather than still is where they succeed ( if they are going to at all ) and while I have tried them on many rivers, the Thames has always been best so if I where to try black currants that is where I would start. Feed has always been hemp so I would stick with that with blackcurrant trotted and held back.
Maybe use elders to start with and if fish are coming stick on a blackcurrant for an hour ?

I have experimented with elders countless times on still waters with limited success. Even catching well on hemp and then sticking on a berry ( many times over a session and for longish spells ) has not worked to the extent that it was worth pursuing as a hobby, but not to say another type of berry ( such as blackcurrants ) might not work on your waters......
Very slow ' on the drop ' has always been best when it has worked, and invariably on sunny, warm days, but be prepared to wait !!!

We also have bushes of black currants in our garden so when I try elders again in a few weeks time I shall also try them - sometime in July from memory. I also understand from my wife that black berries freeze far better than elders ( I would need to check this personally ! ) so use of them could carry on well into Autumn...

Probably not the info you were looking for markg, but you have to start somewhere !

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

I think I'd better backwind a bit on my post.....

Quite by chance, my wife has just taken a bag of last years black/red currants from the freezer to make a crumble and even just a quick glance tells me the black variety, being so much bigger than an elderberry, could not easily be fished in stillwaters ( say, for roach ) because of the size. Maybe for other species, but the roach would need to be big to take one, so not impossible !
Might be good for chub as a trotted bait, though..

The redcurrants are a little smaller ( but still bigger than elderberries ) and although very bright in colour might just be worth a go for crucians, tench and the like as they seem to favour red baits - some of the time!

I suppose it will come down to trial and a bit of lateral thinking............

Maybe someone else will have some thought on this...

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Anything's worth trying as the only way a fish can inspect a 'potential food item' is in it's mouth. The most success I ever had with elderberries was many years ago where we discovered a bush overhanging the river. Not only did the bush pre-bait for you but for approximately 300 yards downstream you couldn't catch a roach on anything else as they seemed so preoccupied on the berries while the fruit lasted........

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The red and white version are smaller than the black and only slightly bigger than elderberry I would say. The whites are the smallest and about the size of elder berry. They usually ripen around late July although in my garden they take some time. This is because my garden does not get full sun as it disappears behind the house early afternoon. So they do not always sweeten up - re my question about sweetening them in some way.
The point about red was interesting as I thought this, red seeming to be a good color attractor for some fish.
I don't know why I have not thought of trying them before, I have had these bushes for years. They produce masses of fruit and at present are laden with immature berries, a lot of bait.
I have tried elderberries, but not in a dedicated way and not much luck with them but, I remember Mark Wintle saying you have to be very patient' dedicated and keep feeding them in until the roach switch on to them. And I am wondering when using them with hemp, do the roach just mistake a elder berry for hemp?! Are they that good on their own?
But would a big blackcurrant not attract a big roach if they were feeding on hemp/elderberry? The big bait=big fish theory?
Good info TeeCee, looking for any info tips really- made me think about redcurrants may attract other species. The white currants are interesting, I have a small bottle of red food dye, maybe they could be dyed if the redcurrants prove to be good or just try the whites as they are.
I will certainly experiment with them this year once they get ripe enough. I think I will try them without hemp to see if they have any merit on their own.
Regarding sweetening, maybe I will try soaking some in a honey solution and see what happens. Fish like honey.

One thing, if they do prove successful, currant bushes last for years, produce loads of fruit, fairly cheap to buy and easy to look after, just a bit of pruning and feeding plus easy to pick, no falling off ladders!. And if they freeze down as said, could provide a lot of bait. The black and white variety produce more fruit than the red variety. It just depends how well they work-on going experiment.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Remember seeing Matt Hayes catching carp on strawberries, in a lake in Italy I think.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
markg....I think you're correct in that soaking them in a solution of honey ( or even a weak solution vanilla extract, for example ) is the only way to see if they take on flavour if that's what's needed to make them appealing. Ditto with colouring....

Like all potential baits, I suppose it all comes down to making enough time to fish them to death in various conditions/depths, and at the expense of not catching anything !! If elderberries are anything to go by it would need a serious amount time to gauge effectiveness.

Regards the bigger blackcurrant ; To the touch ( when just ripe ) they have a lovely firm texture so if they took on flavour perhaps a nice light hair rig would be a way of presenting them........?

Anyway, let's hope that in the coming weeks/months this thread will come back with talk of 2lb roach, monster crucians and tench....along with big chub, of course !

In the meantime I shall continue to enjoy the very,very intense flavour of blackcurrants, which when cooked in ' sufficient ' sugar, can almost take your breath away - just delicious with a decent, plain ice cream..

ps Strawberries, unlike blackberries in the raw state, have very nice strong smell, so I'm not surprised they catch fish. Cost of enough for a day's fishing might be prohibitive though !!

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
markg....I think you're correct in that soaking them in a solution of honey ( or even a weak solution vanilla extract, for example ) is the only way to see if they take on flavour if that's what's needed to make them appealing. Ditto with colouring....

Like all potential baits, I suppose it all comes down to making enough time to fish them to death in various conditions/depths, and at the expense of not catching anything !! If elderberries are anything to go by it would need a serious amount time to gauge effectiveness.

Regards the bigger blackcurrant ; To the touch ( when just ripe ) they have a lovely firm texture so if they took on flavour perhaps a nice light hair rig would be a way of presenting them........?

Anyway, let's hope that in the coming weeks/months this thread will come back with talk of 2lb roach, monster crucians and tench....along with big chub, of course !

In the meantime I shall continue to enjoy the very,very intense flavour of blackcurrants, which when cooked in ' sufficient ' sugar, can almost take your breath away - just delicious with a decent, plain ice cream..

ps Strawberries, unlike blackberries in the raw state, have very nice strong smell, so I'm not surprised they catch fish. Cost of enough for a day's fishing might be prohibitive though !!

It just so happens, I have planted 50 strawberry plants this spring, the perpetual variety so they produce fruit all summer to the first frosts. Although I scoff them like smarties, I should have a few spare. Little bits of strawberry on a 14 hook, might give that a go as well.
Just happen to catch a bit of that spring-watch program last night, this bloke was trying to film 54 different species of coarse fish, just happened they showed a clip of chub feeding on blackberries quite avidly. I have plenty of them as well, wild and a commercial variety where the fruit are very large.
Looks like a fruity summer for me. All free bait, just don't know why I have not thought of using it before. I will report how I get on when I start trying it out. And thanks for the tips, I am not a hair rigging angler but, I will try that along with a bit of flavoring and colouring, I think the whitecurrants will be a good fruit to try that with.
I think what I will do is set up with my normal gear and bait and set up a couple of fruity swims. Then at least I will be able gauge if the fish are feeding and see how the fruity swims compare. Be interesting to see which species I get, my rivers are fairly mixed, chub, bream, roach, a few river tench, mullet, there's a thought, unlikely I would think,-no barbel though.

Going a bit overboard with my imagination - I just thought of cubes of melon- some of these varieties are soft and juicy. What got me thinking was how some of the varieties have a very perfumed smell and if fish would find that attractive. Perhaps I should rein in a bit however, for a different untried bait !

Last edited: