Yeast question

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Pondering bread as a good bait, it occurred to me it is 95% wheat flour. I know stewed wheat grains are a excellent bait although I have not tried them myself. However I understand they are mainly attractive to roach whereas bread is attractive to all fish virtually. So thinking on I wondered if it was the yeast in bread that fish find so attractive. It has a distinct smell and although we might not be able to smell it, to a fish it might be very detectable. Fish do seem to pick up the scent of bread very quickly and appear to be on it very quickly, even on a virgin water in some cases, they don't seem to require any weaning on to it. Perhaps it is the yeast which is common in various forms in nature that pings them..
I understand yeast is used in boilie production sometimes; brewers yeast I believe but, has anyone ever tried it in other ways, dusted on luncheon meat or sprinkled on maggots for example?

john step

Reaction score
It could be the yeast as I find that the better browns and yeasty breads better than cheap white bread.

Regarding wheat though. Do give it a try. Not only for roach. Its good for baiting up for all sorts.Tench, carp, barbel and the dreaded bream.

I used to chuck half a bucket in for baiting for Irish bream. It worked very well and avoided the eels that appeared with maggot and worm baiting.

It has worked on the Welland and also the Tidal Trent.

Cheap as chips.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It could be the yeast as I find that the better browns and yeasty breads better than cheap white bread.

Regarding wheat though. Do give it a try. Not only for roach. Its good for baiting up for all sorts.Tench, carp, barbel and the dreaded bream.

I used to chuck half a bucket in for baiting for Irish bream. It worked very well and avoided the eels that appeared with maggot and worm baiting.

It has worked on the Welland and also the Tidal Trent.

Cheap as chips.

I know your right John, often read about wheat with good recommendations, I must try it sometime especially as eels are often a problem on some of the waters I fish. My question was more of a train of thought going on, I have seen sachets of yeast and never thought of using them and the idea came to me of sprinkling it on maggots and I wondered if anyone has tried it.
My guess is that no one has or they have and are keeping stum because its so good, on that basis, I will buy some and give it a go. No flies on me:)

bracket

Reaction score
markg.
I am of a like mind regarding the attractiveness of yeast. I never go to the water without a yeast inhanced product. My dilemma is, as yet, I have not found a way to make ale stay on the hook. I have to finish up drinking it myself rather than waste it. Pete.:w

no-one in particular

Reaction score
markg.
I am of a like mind regarding the attractiveness of yeast. I never go to the water without a yeast inhanced product. My dilemma is, as yet, I have not found a way to make ale stay on the hook. I have to finish up drinking it myself rather than waste it. Pete.:w

And you still manage a few grayling now and then, must be practice or some long forgotten instinct.? :) Puzzles me.

Just bought two sachets of yeast from Morrisons for 28p. What a wheeze, I am going to knock em dead but, I might end up putting it in my lemonade though. Created one of life's dilemmas.

Last edited:

greenie62

Reaction score
... I have seen sachets of yeast and never thought of using them and the idea came to me of sprinkling it on maggots and I wondered if anyone has tried it....

Yeast used in beer and baking is normally "activated" - through moisture, feeding and temperature - in order to start the reactions which produce the smell, taste, CO2, etc. I'm not sure that sprinkling dry "instant" yeast will have the desired effect on maggots - but please let us know if catch rates go up!:eek:
Tight Lines!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Yeast used in beer and baking is normally "activated" - through moisture, feeding and temperature - in order to start the reactions which produce the smell, taste, CO2, etc. I'm not sure that sprinkling dry "instant" yeast will have the desired effect on maggots - but please let us know if catch rates go up!:eek:
Tight Lines!

I am thinking of a little water and sugar, left to ferment for a while and then sprinkled over, dun know, just a thought. Might just try sprinkling neat first and see what happens. I know brewers yeast is favored by carp anglers but, never heard of it used on everyday baits or ordinary bread yeast. It might even kill maggots, some reaction against the ammonia or something. We will see. You never know, no harm in trying, I will let you know how I get on, heading for a commercial next trip probably so, give it a try out there maybe.

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've been living with a yeast infection for a long time, but Canesten is finally clearing up my fungal nail disease.
I do have one thing to add though, Marmite, love it or hate it, it is a great bait additive.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It occurs in nature quite a lot. Marmite I believe has a lot of yeast in it or some sort of yeast extract so, maybe that's the attraction. Given that, trying neat yeast in other ways might work. I do not know if my catch rate goes up because its been pretty dire recently but, I would just be interested to see if fish are caught and what species etc. Maybe see what else is being caught on the day and compare. At 14p a sachet, and if ti does improve catch rate, got to be worth a try.

Reaction score
Some years ago my brother in law and his girl friend developed a serious, mutual yeast problem - I believe it is known as Candida Albicans or Thrush. The went to the doctors and got some cream and tablets. Luckily, they saw the fungicide...

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some years ago my brother in law and his girl friend developed a serious, mutual yeast problem - I believe it is known as Candida Albicans or Thrush. The went to the doctors and got some cream and tablets. Luckily, they saw the fungicide...
Tiddly boom tush! lol

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Tried this yesterday. One mistake the tackle shop riddled half a pint of maggots off for me and then added some clean sawdust. It would have been better without the sawdust I think. I sprinkled two sachets of yeast in. Did not seem to harm the maggots, they were still wriggling away by the end of the afternoon. How much the yeast got into the maggots hard to say but, they did have a slightly better sweeter smell; to my nose anyway.
Think it might be better to put the yeast into a jar with a little warm water and some sugar and left to ferment for a while and then sprinkle over the maggots. Get them p***** and the fish as well. Not sure but maybe next time.

Fished the maggots over some hemp and caught loads of roach. Hard to say whether this was just the hemp or the maggots but, in my minds eye so to speak, I think the yeast did make a difference. I have not fished this spot for a long while but, have never caught that many roach from it and one or two decent ones in there as well.. I felt at one stage there was something bigger lurking in the swim, one big swirl occurred near the far bank once and felt one good solid fish on once but the hook slipped but, only caught roach though and one or two small bream.

As ever, jury still out, but I was happy with the result and two packets only cost me 28p. On going experiment I think but, I am half way to thinking this is a good idea..

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Mark persevere mate its a good idea. All fish love bacteria no doubt about it.
Bread, Cheese, Marmite etc. all good additives.
Marmite's probably the easiest to put on maggots but it enables them to escape from the tub. Or try making a thick paste from activated brewers yeast and let the little devils wriggle in it for a few hours before you go?

Have a look at my article if you get the chance about shelf life and bacterial cultures. Just HOW long is 'shelf-life'?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Mark persevere mate its a good idea. All fish love bacteria no doubt about it.
Bread, Cheese, Marmite etc. all good additives.
Marmite's probably the easiest to put on maggots but it enables them to escape from the tub. Or try making a thick paste from activated brewers yeast and let the little devils wriggle in it for a few hours before you go?

Have a look at my article if you get the chance about shelf life and bacterial cultures. Just HOW long is 'shelf-life'?

Interesting read Laguana, marmite is as I understand it a yeast extract. Might be better however, I like the fact I can just tip the dried yeast in.

Talking of yeast- It reminded me that I have some wine I made in 2004 and I just fished out a bottle. Would you believe it I added some strawberry flavoring. It has a black sludge in the bottom. I will open it tonight, if you do not hear from me tomorrow, I'm dead.
Cheers.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/photos/data/500/wine.jpg

peterjg

Reaction score
I have just read the posts in this thread - loved the fungicide line - brilliant!

Yeast many years ago was supposedly a top secret ingredient in carp paste - some called it 'Pyms' (Phillips Yeast Mixture).

I have tried yeast in boilies but when the rolled mixture was boiled they swelled up because of the yeast and went too soft.

Never tried yeast with maggots - sounds a good idea.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
You can add a bit of yeast to left-over corn to ensure (or at least tip the odds in your favour) that you get fungal fermentation rather than bacterial putrefaction.
Tench and bream seem to like corn with a beery whiff to it.
I did once knock up some paste with the last, yeasty inch of a bottle of home-brew (not very hoppy) and the bream loved it, but the caveat here is that it was a heavliy stocked water, and also I haven't done any home-brew for years, so was unable to repeat the experiment.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Talking of yeast- It reminded me that I have some wine I made in 2004 and I just fished out a bottle. Would you believe it I added some strawberry flavoring. It has a black sludge in the bottom. I will open it tonight, if you do not hear from me tomorrow, I'm dead. Cheers.
The must (the sediment) at the bottom of a demijohn and any filtrate containing dead yeast are good additives. When left to dry the cake can be ground in a coffee grinder and sprinkled on maggots or as a coating for pellets.

terry m

Reaction score
I have just read the posts in this thread - loved the fungicide line - brilliant!

Yeast many years ago was supposedly a top secret ingredient in carp paste - some called it 'Pyms' (Phillips Yeast Mixture).

I have tried yeast in boilies but when the rolled mixture was boiled they swelled up because of the yeast and went too soft.

Never tried yeast with maggots - sounds a good idea.

PYM was the first 'over the counter, purpose made' carp bait made available back in the late 70's. I remember many carp anglers at the time pooh poohing it, but I knew several individuals who bought and used it producing exceptional results on what were very hard waters.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Hi Mark......it does sound like a good idea if you can dispense it properly....I for one would love to know how you get on with it....best of luck mate....

Maverick

Cheers Mav, I will let you know.

---------- Post added at 11:46 ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 ----------

PYM was the first 'over the counter, purpose made' carp bait made available back in the late 70's. I remember many carp anglers at the time pooh poohing it, but I knew several individuals who bought and used it producing exceptional results on what were very hard waters.

There was quite a few references to it being used in boilies for carp when I looked it up on Google. I did not find any references to it being used with maggots though.