fishing in the Vendee,France

ca25

Reaction score
Hi,

we are going to the vendee area of France next weekend for a couple of weeks and plan to do some fishing in the various rivers and canals.I have been to the area fishing before but have not been very successful and know the area well.Any ideas or tips would be most welcome,we are staying at Curzon south of Lucon.Intend to fish light taking the minimum of gear doing short evening or early morning sessions as have to fit in with the rest of the family.Many thanks in advance.

Chris

nicepix

Reaction score
Don't know the location, but English tactics will work fine. Use sweetcorn or small cubes of luncheon meat as bait. You'll have to bring your own luncheon meat though. Dependent on how much bait you intend to use there are several options; supermarkets and DIY shops sell groundbait and boilies in small quantities. Decathalon is best for larger amounts. If you need large amounts of maize then get a bag of mais concasse (ground maize) from the supermarket animal food aisles and soak and boil it. If you want to use worms or maggots they are a third of the supermarket price in Decathalon, but still a lot more expensive than UK prices.

Don't forget to buy a Carte de Peche from almost any tabac, fishing shop and many supermarkets. You can get daily, weekly or annual permits and you'll need the optional CH stamp if you are fishing communal lakes.

pf0x

Reaction score
Was near there last year. It's very flat :eek:

Didn't do any fishing unfortunately. Saw a few people fishing Le Lay and the adjoining canalised section where the D46 crosses it (La Faute sur Mer). People seemed to drive up the side of water and fish from their cars with inappropriate-looking tackle(!) (Beachcasters etc). Not sure about legalities etc.

Haven't got a clue what was in there. Must be tidal?

It's pretty amazing what you can find online these days. This was filmed very close to you (La Bretonniere):

https://youtu.be/Ud6qERFnlgI

Judging by the wind in the area a feeder rod might be good idea.

Last edited:

nicepix

Reaction score
Just looked up the area as I'm not familiar with that part of France. It is fairly close to Marans however, 30 minutes, and that is on my patch.

The canals will be tidal. That means mullet, and also there is likely to be a good stock or carassin or crucian carp, and roach. My tip would be to float fish the canals using bread if you can find any English type sliced bread in the supermarkets, or small brown shrimps from the freezers near to the fish counter in Super-U supermarket.

ca25

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys,the river lay on the video is very close to where we are staying and looks a good starting point.I will have to get the feeder rod out ready to take with the usual moans from the family about having rods in their way in the car,was planning to only take a 3 piece float rod and a light feeder rod

pf0x

Reaction score
How did you get on? Manage to get any fishing done?