If I Had a Hammer....

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've seen fish react quite differently in different waters. I know one water where knocking posts or stakes in (work party stuff) actually seems to attract the carp. Rattling a fart in a chair will spook them in another. Chub in quiet river stretches are notoriously flighty, it doesn't take much to send them on their way unless they've thrown caution to the wind in a feeding frenzy. Barbel are often nearly as spooky. As a rule of thumb, it makes a lot of sense to avoid any unnecessary noise and vibration on the banks.

laguna

Reaction score
There is an obvious difference between 'natural' every day noises (trains rolling by, water fowl squabbles) and an angler alerting fish to his/her presence.

Did I ever tell you about the time my mate (new to angling at the time) strapped a 12" vibrator to his rod when pike fishing.... No?

Best keep quiet about that then!

maverick 7

Reaction score
Possibly they're are used to a particular sound from birth together with the fact that this sound is not 'life threatening'? You try making the slightest noise that causes vibration to the ground on the rivers that I fish and your fishing is fecked for a few hours - they may return after a period of 10/20 minutes, or so, but they won't feed for quite a long time after (especially chub)....

I am not disputing what you say barbelboi simply because I don't know what fecks your swim up but how do you know that it is the vibration or some noise etc that does it....could it possibly be something else like the fish are not feeding for example...which happens very often on rivers like the Trent.

Don't get me wrong.....I DO believe it is wise to err on the side of caution..to use a well known phrase....and keep noise to a minimum but I am not sure just how detrimental it is towards fishing....and I don't see how anybody else can be either.

I remember a bloke I used to fish with many, many years ago when we used to fish in places like Pophams Eau, Three Holes, Boston Drains and the like and he was dead against the notion that noise on the bank affected fishing....So much so.....he used to sing as loud as he could and stamp his feet on the ground whilst casting and striking and hooking fish at the same time and he did this for 5 minutes or so and he regularly caught 3 or 4 fish during this "performance"......just to prove his point.

The fish we are talking about was usually roach and skimmer bream......but the noise certainly never bothered them....why would it bother other species.

I also remember a miserable, drizzly day at Topcliffe long before it belonged to a syndicate and I banged my 3 or 4 banksticks in as usual and cast towards my favourite spot just under the willow trees on the opposite side. Unfortunately, my feeder dropped very short and dropped into the river only about a third of the way across which was less than 10 meters away from the bank. I was just about to retrieve my feeder when I had a bite...only minutes, seconds maybe after I had cast in, missed it but decided to keep the feeder there and I had an absolutely brilliant day...something like 12 barbel and several chub....had my PB barbel at the time during that session too 10.75lb. I had an audience of about 5 blokes sat on the bank above me watching me in the end.

Just an example where noise and vibration didn't make one iota of difference.

Maverick

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
There is an obvious difference between 'natural' every day noises (trains rolling by, water fowl squabbles) and an angler alerting fish to his/her presence.

Did I ever tell you about the time my mate (new to angling at the time) strapped a 12" vibrator to his rod when pike fishing.... No?

Best keep quiet about that then![/QUOTE)
Laguna, shouldnt this post be on Derek Gibsons ultimate buzz thread?.:wh

Last edited:

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
Arthur.....I have lots of these type of banksticks and to be honest when you have a gravel bank....they are next to useless.

In all fairness to myself....it is only on odd occasions when I have to use the mallet...usually the bank is soft enough to push the sticks in with a bit of effort...but anyway, got myself a pod now so better get used to neckache from now on with looking up all the time eh?

Maverick
Have you seen the ones with a slot for a T' Bar....? they can almost be screwed into some of the hardest swims imaginable... or try the JAG auger

12311_600.jpg

My carping buddy has one.... bloody excellent, not cheap though but waaaaay quieter than a mallet:cool:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Have you seen the ones with a slot for a T' Bar....? they can almost be screwed into some of the hardest swims imaginable... or try the JAG auger

12311_600.jpg

My carping buddy has one.... bloody excellent, not cheap though but waaaaay quieter than a mallet:cool:

I have 2 or 3 of the old blue heavy duty Dinsmore types (sure they was Dinsmores) and they have "T" bars but once again Arthur.......on gravel you simply cannot get them to grip as they are drilling between small pebbles...there is nothing solid to grip to....Only exception being is if the gravel is only a few inches deep and is covering proper earth but I find this to be apparent only on rare occasions.

Maverick

laguna

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong.....I DO believe it is wise to err on the side of caution..to use a well known phrase....and keep noise to a minimum but I am not sure just how detrimental it is towards fishing....and I don't see how anybody else can be either.
"Please don't tap the glass" signs?

Some pet and ornamental fish might associate noise and vibration with feeding times, whereas fish that have been hooked will generally scarper in my view.

sumtime

Reaction score
.............. I had an audience of about 5 blokes sat on the bank above me watching me in the end.

Just an example where noise and vibration didn't make one iota of difference.

Maverick

They all came over the hill to see what all the noise was about. :D

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've had my roach fishing wrecked a few times by 'mallet man' and it is really noticeable. On the pond at Grange Gate, a mile or two from Lulworth gunnery range the fish don't notice the rumble of the big guns yet I've had the roach go quiet just from someone thumping up the bank.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen fish feeding around the feet of drinking cattle and scarpering at the sight of a human in the same cattle drink. I'm in the 'keep it quiet' camp on this issue and have no need for a mallet other than tenderising a cheap steak.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Just got back from another day on the Trent,,,well, I say the Trent. When I got there at the Winthorpe "complex".....which is the river and a lake....I saw a vacant peg on the lake which I have always fancied...in fact almost every peg on there was vacant....so I decided to fish the lake instead.

That meant I couldn't use my new tripod and it also meant that ....wait for it....I had to use my mallet for 3 items too but this time there was only me on the bank so it didn't really matter. Anyway, balled my groundbait in for the large bream that I was after. After 15 minutes or so the first of 9 large bream came to my net....I only weighed one of them and it weighed 6.5lb but it was by no means the biggest...I reckon the biggest went 9lb and I did try to weigh that one too but my batteries on the scales had gone...with not much time to change them I decided to let the fish go without weighing.

...but a fabulous days fishing and with the mallet too.......

Any observations lads?

Maverick

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I think a copy of that old Trini Lopez number ' If I had a hammer ' is in the offing....

.........on second thoughts it would probably turn into his signature tune and he'd end up playing it on the bank, every time he raised his bl**dy mallet !! ( a downcast smilie will do just fine ...)

Jerry...Your posts can be oh so restrained, on occasion..............

maverick 7

Reaction score
Yes, snotties are even thicker than I thought.................;)

Hahahahaha........you really kill me you do matey....that is so funny, how do you keep coming up with gems like that...I just love cunundrums and riddles.

Now you've got that off your chest...maybe you'd like to post a sensible reason why you think the "snotties" wasn't afraid of my noise?....like you claim they should be....or any other noise for that matter.

Maverick

laguna

Reaction score
You said almost every peg was vacant, it is the favoured peg etc. But then you said there was only me on the bank so it didn't really matter

Does that answer your question?

maverick 7

Reaction score
Now that's a whole new can of worms... Are we saying that fish spook away from noise itself or the vibration caused by noise which they cannot otherwise detect? :)

Don't ask me Binka mate.........I only said I used a mallet and all kinds of things was said after that...cannons going off, people talking etc etc.....

....all with some justification in my mind too.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

You said almost every peg was vacant, it is the favoured peg etc. But then you said there was only me on the bank so it didn't really matter

Does that answer your question?

Christ what's this....the Spanish Inquisition?

What question are you talking about Laguna?

I didn't say it was a "favoured" peg....I said I fancied it.

OK....let me explain the vacant pegs thing, the lake is big and is sort of divided into two large bays...if that's the right word. I was fishing the top "bay" and there was only me on it...however, there was a couple of carp anglers on the smaller "bay" that was completely out of sight from me and about 150 yards away too.....maybe more.

Does that answer YOUR question?

Maverick

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Noise as such, as caused by shouting etc etc is a totally different animal to vibration.....

Yes, you can stand on the bank and shout to your hearts content and not affect the fish, but if you jump up and down at the same time as shouting, then fish will pick up the vibration via the noise causing the vibration.....that's how I see it anyway, but I quite expect some knowledgeable soul to put me right ..

Wikipedia: vibration / fish / lateral line gives lots of info if you have a mind, maverick...

Me? I'm off fishing by a very, non hammer fishery, and God help any blackbird that decides to peck the ground near me, looking for worms - he's gone, toot sweet !!!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Have you see those blackbirds stamping their feet?