If I Had a Hammer....

laguna

Reaction score
Christ what's this....the Spanish Inquisition?
What question are you talking about Laguna?
You invited observations. You also asked why fish weren't afraid of the racket you made

I didn't say it was a "favoured" peg....I said I fancied it.
So it was favoured then

OK....let me explain the vacant pegs thing, the lake is big and is sort of divided into two large bays...if that's the right word. I was fishing the top "bay" and there was only me on it...however, there was a couple of carp anglers on the smaller "bay" that was completely out of sight from me and about 150 yards away too.....maybe more. Does that answer YOUR question? Maverick
You've already answered your own question.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm of the "it might not be a good thing to do so I wont do it" persuasion....in life generally as well as when fishing.

So...I dont hammer bank sticks in though I do carry a rubber mallet.This is for the brolly pole which I defy anybody to get in deep & solid enough without one.....unless you particularly want your brolly to take wing at the first half decent gust of wind. In my experience a badly "set" 50 in brolly doesn't take much of a breeze to reach escape velocity.

maverick 7

Reaction score
You invited observations. You also asked why fish weren't afraid of the racket you made...I would hardly say it was a racket...it lasted like 5 seconds if that, however, I STILL don't know why the fish wasn't afraid and your little "conclusive explanation" has made no headway to answer it either.
So it was favoured then...ONLY by myself....you made it sound like it was THE favoured peg on the lake by everybody when in fact it was only fancied by myself

You've already answered your own question.

Sorry mate...why don't you explain to everyone how I have answered my own question 'cos you have completely lost me..... how does telling you that I was the only angler in the top bay and also telling you that there was a couple of carp anglers 150 yards or more away from me...possibly answer my own question? Which was of course... why wasn't the fish spooked when I used the mallet...as all you lot seem to think they should have been.

Can you expand on the "you've already answered your own question" conclusion...maybe I missed something.....:confused:

Maverick

Last edited:

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
It may just be my suspicious mind, but I get the feeling that you enjoy starting contentious threads. I don't see you contributing much to e.g. the "How did you get on?" thread but you certainly seem to be keen on starting "How can i wind you up threads". I don't think anyone here (actually or you ) would have thought malleting a bankstick in was a good idea. Even with your limited contentions, causing a big unnatural disturbance is not likely to be a good thing on a river, is it?

As I say, might just be me...

maverick 7

Reaction score
It may just be my suspicious mind, but I get the feeling that you enjoy starting contentious threads. I don't see you contributing much to e.g. the "How did you get on?" thread but you certainly seem to be keen on starting "How can i wind you up threads". I don't think anyone here (actually or you ) would have thought malleting a bankstick in was a good idea. Even with your limited contentions, causing a big unnatural disturbance is not likely to be a good thing on a river, is it?

You're quite right Hugh...I DO like to start threads that are slightly different from the norm and ones that creates a lot of heat, attention and a little controversy....but not necessarily arguments though...at least not nasty ones.

Many people LIKE that sort of thing because it brings something extra to a forum discussion....hence the large number of posts that threads like this generate...they do tend to attract a lot of attention.

I enjoy (as apparently a lot of others do) a good heated debate...and you're also right about the fact that I don't make contributions to other less "contentious" threads...simply because I find some of them a little boring and tiresome. However, I do make contributions to threads I find interesting and on subjects I THINK I know a little about....

....so there you have it my friend..........so what?

Having said all that......I don't think there was much controversy in the " Moo Moo Here" and the "There was A Mouse" threads...do you?...so not ALL of my threads are contentious...are they?

As for the subject of this thread and in response to your suggestion that "you don't think malleting a bankstick in was a good idea"....of course it's not a good idea.... but only if a bankstick can be firmly put in the ground by other means. Unfortunately, that's not always the case is it?....sometimes it is simply impossible to get a bankstick in the ground without the aid of a mallet or similar.

Even with my "limited contentions" I still strongly believe that some members on here are far too touchy about using a mallet...it takes but a few seconds to put a bankstick in the ground...and it will definitely NOT ruin the days fishing either as has been proved countless times. We are talking about startling stupid creatures here who live their lives purely and 100% by instinct. Of course they will be instinctively startled when the vibration/noise starts....but they will equally instinctively return to what they were doing before the noise/vibration started within a few minutes...just as the bream did on my last outing....and many more fish before them.

Maverick

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Mav, you're talking Winthorpe lake, I fished it for years untill it went on the Ashfield AA book. Never ever needed to hammer banksticks in- ever- the only place where it was a little more difficult was on "the spit" that divided the two bays as it was a little gravelly but even then it was'nt that difficult.
Maybe work parties by Ashfield have laid some hard material close to the waterside since the early nineties I dont know.

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Mav, you're talking Winthorpe lake, I fished it for years untill it went on the Ashfield AA book. Never ever needed to hammer banksticks in- ever- the only place where it was a little more difficult was on "the spit" that divided the two bays as it was a little gravelly but even then it was'nt that difficult.
Maybe work parties by Ashfield have laid some hard material close to the waterside since the early nineties I dont know.

Yes I am talking Winthorpe lake Flight......and Ashfield has done a great job over the years of renovating many pegs on there ...wooden steps down to the water where it is needed and laid gravel to avoid the collection of mud I suppose. It has changed a lot since those days Flight that's for sure....but anyway, it could be anywhere...on the river, ponds, canals...anywhere where it is difficult to get a stick into the ground.

The peg I was fishing was the one next to the inlet and it is very gravel orientated.....even with the use of the mallet the sticks was still falling out..not very sturdy at all so how people get their banksticks in the ground when faced with a situation like that is beyond me. In fact I would like to know how people actually get their sticks in ground like that if they don't use a mallet....they can't all use little tripods for everything surely.

....please let me know how you all do it...BTW the screw type banksticks won't work in in situations like that either before anyone mentions them...so how do you do it.....I REALLY would like to know. I suspect a few people use mallets but won't admit it due to the "pressure" of other members views on the subject.

Maverick

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I use one of these, it clamps onto the chair leg and is adjustable up and down. The rest is also telescopic.

This one was made by Fishface tackle but I'm not sure if they are still available..
I notice Binka has something similar...

My other suggestion is use a seatbox and everything fixes to the legs...

flightliner

Reaction score
Mav- a little off topic but I fished Winthorpe for carp- spent many a happy time there.
One night my mate was fast asleep when he had a screamer.
Still only half awake and maybe a little dissorientated he came flying out of his bivvie , straight past his rods and up to his waist in very cold late october water.
LMHO!!!.
ps, ambushed many a carp moving into the lake when the river was on the rise and falling, classic stuff.

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
I rarely have problems with a bank stick on the rivers but, if I do, I use the same method as with 'unfriendly' still water banks - stick a long bankstick in the wet stuff...............

sprr_zpslqotj5vr.jpg

maverick 7

Reaction score
I use one of these, it clamps onto the chair leg and is adjustable up and down. The rest is also telescopic..

This one was made by Fishface tackle but I'm not sure if they are still available..
I notice Binka has something similar...

My other suggestion is use a seatbox and everything fixes to the legs...

Thanks for that Peter....I already have a couple of Fishface attachments for my chair...that brand belonged to Vince Davies of Davies Angling in Slough, he was the one who brought the Fishface brand out. I used to do lots of tackle shows with Vince and that is when he gave me a couple of "samples". They were pretty good but to have a stable set up on your chair it needed one attachment at the back and one on the front legs and then have a pole support arm linking the two with a tall bankstick in the front hole of the support arm and it worked beautifully...otherwise if you used only one attachment at the front... the Feeder arm would bounce about a lot and I didn't like that.....do you get a lot of bounce on your set up Peter?

Anyway, despite it working very well....it was very time consuming setting it all up and tbh.....I got a little fed up with it as recently as last year.

The other problem for me as well Peter is that I need a bankstick for my baitwaiter which I think are brill...for my needs anyway...and as I said in an earlier post....I have decided to buy the Korum Accessory chair which you can attach all sorts of things..including a baitwaiter.

I know I discovered a tripod the other day amongst all my gear but I have also been looking at a rod pod by Prologic ...it has had rave reviews (from our shop staff that is) and it looks brilliantly solid...although it is quite heavy.....so looks like I might be spending a couple hundred quid to get sorted.

I still don't think using a mallet is anywhere near as bad as some members on here think it is.....I have had too many good days for me to believe otherwise....but I do think it is prudent to consider something that is apparently a little more sociably acceptable.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

I rarely have problems with a bank stick on the rivers but, if I do, I use the same method as with 'unfriendly' still water banks - stick a long bankstick in the wet stuff...............

You seem to think that only the bankside is sometimes difficult to push a bankstick in......well, that is not true.....on NATURAL waters the chances are that if the bank is gravelly or rocky then it is odds on that beneath the water will be the same in that particular peg too...

I think you're missing the point Jerry......the point is... what if you CAN'T stick a bankstick in the wet stuff...or anywhere else for that matter?

It goes without saying that if you can stick a bankstick ANYWHERE...then a mallet would not be needed. The problem arises when you can't do that. Just because you decide to "stick a long bankstick in the wet stuff" as you put it.....doesn't necessarily mean it is going to be nice soft mud on the bottom.....There WILL be times when the bottom WILL be rocky or gravelly and it WILL be nigh on impossible to manually push a bankstick in.....

...and if it was rocky and gravelly in the "wet stuff"...... and you knew a mallet would do the trick................what would you do?

Maverick

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
...and if it was rocky and gravelly in the "wet stuff"...... and you knew a mallet would do the trick................what would you do?

Maverick

Fish somewhere else............

flightliner

Reaction score
Mav, last January I fished one of the any method open days at Toft Newton near Market Rason.
As you may know its a concrete bowl so I took my old carp rod pod, I could'nt help thinking that you mighthave taken a kango jackhammer.lol :D

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score

Then again Hugh, it may not

http://www.fishingmagic.com/forums/1329157-post138.html

Sorry for the delay in finding this, too much to do earlier

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Then again Hugh, it may not

I have already confirmed that for him IFNC........read the earlier posts.

You do like to keep bringing that post of yours up every now and then don't you....not quite sure why though, how many times is that you have posted it...2...3 times at least I would have thought.

Maverick

Last edited: