If I Had a Hammer....

maverick 7

Reaction score
Mav, last January I fished one of the any method open days at Toft Newton near Market Rason.
As you may know its a concrete bowl so I took my old carp rod pod, I could'nt help thinking that you mighthave taken a kango jackhammer.lol :D

....and I thought you were a pal of mine Flight...

....never mind ...you win some....:eek:mg:

Maverick

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

Mav

I just enjoy the repartee............................................. matey;)

OK....I'll give you that one.....:)

Maverick

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Maverick does have a geuine knack of making threads that attract a lot of views and responses.

As for vibration I have stood and watched fish feeding from various pools and canals right by my feet , I have even jumped up and down without disturbing them , other times just casting a shadow will make them scatter.

maverick 7

Reaction score
Maverick does have a geuine knack of making threads that attract a lot of views and responses.

As for vibration I have stood and watched fish feeding from various pools and canals right by my feet , I have even jumped up and down without disturbing them , other times just casting a shadow will make them scatter.

Hello my old pal Benny.....how are things with you?

.....not heard much from you lately....get posting.

......and your post above is spot on.

Maverick

flightliner

Reaction score
....and I thought you were a pal of mine Flight...

....never mind ...you win some....:eek:mg:

Maverick

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 ----------

OK....I'll give you that one.....:)

Maverick
Mav ,simply a lighthearted look at every conceivable scenario where getting bank sticks into the waters edge may prove difficult!.;)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Would putting a cloth over the bank stick/brolly stick before hitting it help ?
Could you make a small hole or scrape in the ground, top it up with water and let it soak through?. Might have to do it a few times and would take a wee spell but would it work?. I was thinking an empty bait box to collect a bit of water and doing it while you were tackling up etc.--Just thinking aloud...common error of mine.........

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Would putting a cloth over the bank stick/brolly stick before hitting it help ?
Could you make a small hole or scrape in the ground, top it up with water and let it soak through?. Might have to do it a few times and would take a wee spell but would it work?. I was thinking an empty bait box to collect a bit of water and doing it while you were tackling up etc.--Just thinking aloud...common error of mine.........

Mark....don't forget, we are talking about a RUBBER mallet here....they don't make a metal to metal type sound like a hammer would.....it is just a dull thud so covering the stick with something would not silence the exercise but the main problem with getting banksticks to go deep enough into the ground to ensure it is sturdy enough to carry your rod.......is gravel and rocks and very occasionally ....rock hard mud which I must admit I have come across only a couple of times. It is simply impossible to PUSH a bankstick into those kind of ground structures....so extra water would not help the problem either Mark. I have come across these conditions on a regular basis during my fishing life so I am sure many other anglers on here have too. I have fished in very good pegs a lot of the time where I can push my banksticks in....but I would say maybe 40% of my pegs are difficult to get pegs in.....BUT the vast majority of my fishing IS on rivers.

Unless everybody on here has a tripod or feeder arm and constantly ONLY uses them....then I defy anybody to push a bankstick into that kind of ground....it cannot be done, they must lay their rods on the ground or something when they come across that situation. I am certain there is a lot more than me that uses a mallet on this forum....they are just too afraid of the lynch mob to say so.

...and what about the brolly spike......as has already been said on this thread...that thing NEEDS to be quite deep into the ground...brolly arms or not.....I wonder how the guys on here performs that little trick then without a mallet or something to knock the spike deep into the ground....

....maybe the brolly spike doesn't count.

Maverick

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Although I wouldn't use a mallet to get my banksticks in (the place that started this thread is very difficult to get one in) I believe there are far worse things that anglers and bank walkers can do to affect a swim. Anglers casting heavy weights on top of fish, the method is a good example, bank walkers coming up behind you on a small clear river when you have spent a couple of hours loose feeding to get fish to come out from the cover they live in, these are just a couple of examples.

I don't believe that knocking banksticks in at Thrumpton would have much effect on the fishing, its already noisy there with anglers driving cars to the water and walking about on the gravel, however on a small quiet river I think it would be different.

sumtime

Reaction score
Just something I witnessed regarding vibration, about 20 years ago, my youngest son and I were fishing the Sankey canal (on the Lymm Anglers card).

A cargo train passed by about ten yards from the bank, all the fish came to the surface, big pike, tench, never seen so many fish on the surface in this country, amazing.

B

binka

Just something I witnessed regarding vibration, about 20 years ago, my youngest son and I were fishing the Sankey canal (on the Lymm Anglers card).

A cargo train passed by about ten yards from the bank, all the fish came to the surface, big pike, tench, never seen so many fish on the surface in this country, amazing.

I read of a very similar thing where a train line crosses (iirc) Butterly Res in Derbyshire... Weird! :confused:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Well, at least some of my actions are not taken too seriously by a few guys on here...and rightly so. Anglers have been knocking in banksticks with anything they can get their hands on...stones, bricks etc for donkeys years......and all the horsesh*t about scaring the fish off for hours on end is a load of baloney.

The proof is in the pudding.......my last 3 sessions on stillwaters have been pretty phenomenal...and so have my pals (who also uses a mallet)...OK the river sessions haven't been too clever but as Crow says....Thrumpton Weir cannot possibly be affected by what this thread is about...It is far too big and wild and noisy.....and decent day fishing on rivers hasn't really started just yet anyway, that should happen around the end of August, September and October...and hopefully well beyond.

Whenever you're on your own on the bankside....why don't you prove something to yourself and bang in a bankstick....and see what happens.

Maverick

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Ok Mav, I agree on some things and not others you state. I agree in most cases if the fish are disturbed they will settle down fairly quickly except maybe Chub on a small stream; I have known to spook these and that’s it, they will not come and play. Everyone has to use their mallets at some time, it should just be accepted. However, a bit of care should be taken. If I was setting up right next to a bloke I would have to think twice before hammering in a stick. He might have been fishing for hours without a bite and was just starting to get a few twitches and the last thing he would want is someone to start making a lot of noise/vibrations next to him. It would certainly annoy me if that was the case. It depends how far out he was fishing etc but, I would have to give him some thought. I would just ask him and if he said its OK, no problem, if not I would have to respect that and improvise or move elsewhere. If he was a suitable distance away I would just carry on regardless.

The water idea, in principle should work, I understand some swims will contain just hard rock but, there’s not many like that. A bit of gravel in earth could be prized away and soaked for ten minutes and hard compacted earth could be chipped away to form a little hole or fissure and the same result should occur. Having never tried it I do not know and I would find it a bit of a palaver but, there might just arise a situation where I think I would give it a go, more out of interest to see if it helps. I think it may well facilitate the easier insertion of a stick in most ground types, therefore less noise and vibration. It was just an idea and I would be interested to see if it did work; the principle seems sound to me.

Personally, I only carry one rod rest stick, I do not use a big brolly these days either. My bait sits on the floor next to my chair. The rod rest can often go in right near the edge as you said and I often don’t use it anyway. Plus there’s never anyone near me as well, I walked a mile of canal last week and saw three anglers, a record for this water and I am not joking. But I did used to fish a lot of commercials and compacted earth could be a problem and I did take a mallet and big brolly in those days. I did used to place a cloth over although I do not remember exactly why I did it; I think it was because the aluminum used to stain my hands as I held it but, it did make a bit less noise and vibration as I remember and any little helps and a cloth is always to hand, it would not be too much trouble...
But apart form all of that I would not worry to much if I was you, if you upset one angler, well; we all do it occasionally, inadvertently most of the time, and I am sure we have given you some food for thought.

The biggest criteria that everyone has missed, is how big the bloke is. Something I would consider first:) Wisdom replaces muscle with age.

Last edited:

maverick 7

Reaction score
Ok Mav, I agree on some things and not others you state. I agree in most cases if the fish are disturbed they will settle down fairly quickly except maybe Chub on a small stream; I have known to spook these and that’s it, they will not come and play. Everyone has to use their mallets at some time, it should just be accepted. However, a bit of care should be taken. If I was setting up right next to a bloke I would have to think twice before hammering in a stick. He might have been fishing for hours without a bite and was just starting to get a few twitches and the last thing he would want is someone to start making a lot of noise/vibrations next to him. It would certainly annoy me if that was the case. It depends how far out he was fishing etc but, I would have to give him some thought. I would just ask him and if he said its OK, no problem, if not I would have to respect that and improvise or move elsewhere. If he was a suitable distance away I would just carry on regardless.

The water idea, in principle should work, I understand some swims will contain just hard rock but, there’s not many like that. A bit of gravel in earth could be prized away and soaked for ten minutes and hard compacted earth could be chipped away to form a little hole or fissure and the same result should occur. Having never tried it I do not know and I would find it a bit of a palaver but, there might just arise a situation where I think I would give it a go, more out of interest to see if it helps. I think it may well facilitate the easier insertion of a stick in most ground types, therefore less noise and vibration. It was just an idea and I would be interested to see if it did work; the principle seems sound to me.

Personally, I only carry one rod rest stick, I do not use a big brolly these days either. My bait sits on the floor next to my chair. The rod rest can often go in right near the edge as you said and I often don’t use it anyway. Plus there’s never anyone near me as well, I walked a mile of canal last week and saw three anglers, a record for this water and I am not joking. But I did used to fish a lot of commercials and compacted earth could be a problem and I did take a mallet and big brolly in those days. I did used to place a cloth over although I do not remember exactly why I did it; I think it was because the aluminum used to stain my hands as I held it but, it did make a bit less noise and vibration as I remember and any little helps and a cloth is always to hand, it would not be too much trouble...
But apart form all of that I would not worry to much if I was you, if you upset one angler, well; we all do it occasionally, inadvertently most of the time, and I am sure we have given you some food for thought.

The biggest criteria that everyone has missed, is how big the bloke is. Something I would consider first:) Wisdom replaces muscle with age.

Great post Mark.......just one or two questionable comments to contest if I may....On the Trent Mark, there is lots of pegs that are like this....and I know quite a few on the Severn too. As far as I am concerned.....getting a bankstick into many swims on the Trent is a fairly big problem these days. East Stoke for example is popular with the river matchmen...the banks are made up of boulders and it 100% impossible to use a bankstick. I was in a match there a few years ago and the river was in flood...I had to hold my rod in the air trapped between my crossed legs...it did work though 'cos I won the match with one barbel weighing 9.5lbs.....not a good day as you can see. I think the problem is more wide spread than you may think Mark.

As for the size of the bloke that initiated this thread....he was about 19 stone and around 6 foot odd tall........talk about making vibrations on the bank....the earth shook when he started walking about.

Anyway, I think this thread has just about burnt itself out now....so thanks for all the contributions guys....it was interesting.

Maverick