Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  48
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Default Re: If I Had a Hammer....

Just got back from another day on the Trent,,,well, I say the Trent. When I got there at the Winthorpe "complex".....which is the river and a lake....I saw a vacant peg on the lake which I have always fancied...in fact almost every peg on there was vacant....so I decided to fish the lake instead.

That meant I couldn't use my new tripod and it also meant that ....wait for it....I had to use my mallet for 3 items too but this time there was only me on the bank so it didn't really matter. Anyway, balled my groundbait in for the large bream that I was after. After 15 minutes or so the first of 9 large bream came to my net....I only weighed one of them and it weighed 6.5lb but it was by no means the biggest...I reckon the biggest went 9lb and I did try to weigh that one too but my batteries on the scales had gone...with not much time to change them I decided to let the fish go without weighing.

...but a fabulous days fishing and with the mallet too.......

Any observations lads?

Maverick

Yes, snotties are even thicker than I thought.................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

I think a copy of that old Trini Lopez number ' If I had a hammer ' is in the offing....

.........on second thoughts it would probably turn into his signature tune and he'd end up playing it on the bank, every time he raised his bl**dy mallet !! ( a downcast smilie will do just fine ...)

Jerry...Your posts can be oh so restrained, on occasion..............

Quote Originally Posted by barbelboi View Post
    Yes, snotties are even thicker than I thought.................
    Hahahahaha........you really kill me you do matey....that is so funny, how do you keep coming up with gems like that...I just love cunundrums and riddles.

Now you've got that off your chest...maybe you'd like to post a sensible reason why you think the "snotties" wasn't afraid of my noise?....like you claim they should be....or any other noise for that matter.

Maverick

binka Guest

Quote Originally Posted by maverick 7 View Post
    or any other noise for that matter.
    Now that's a whole new can of worms... Are we saying that fish spook away from noise itself or the vibration caused by noise which they cannot otherwise detect?

You said almost every peg was vacant, it is the favoured peg etc. But then you said there was only me on the bank so it didn't really matter

Does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by binka View Post
    Now that's a whole new can of worms... Are we saying that fish spook away from noise itself or the vibration caused by noise which they cannot otherwise detect?
    Don't ask me Binka mate.........I only said I used a mallet and all kinds of things was said after that...cannons going off, people talking etc etc.....

....all with some justification in my mind too.

Maverick

---------- Post added at 23:48 ---------- Previous post was at 23:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    You said almost every peg was vacant, it is the favoured peg etc. But then you said there was only me on the bank so it didn't really matter

Does that answer your question?
    Christ what's this....the Spanish Inquisition?

What question are you talking about Laguna?

I didn't say it was a "favoured" peg....I said I fancied it.

OK....let me explain the vacant pegs thing, the lake is big and is sort of divided into two large bays...if that's the right word. I was fishing the top "bay" and there was only me on it...however, there was a couple of carp anglers on the smaller "bay" that was completely out of sight from me and about 150 yards away too.....maybe more.

Does that answer YOUR question?

Maverick
    Last edited by maverick 7; 24-07-2015 at 06:52.

Noise as such, as caused by shouting etc etc is a totally different animal to vibration.....

Yes, you can stand on the bank and shout to your hearts content and not affect the fish, but if you jump up and down at the same time as shouting, then fish will pick up the vibration via the noise causing the vibration.....that's how I see it anyway, but I quite expect some knowledgeable soul to put me right ..

Wikipedia: vibration / fish / lateral line gives lots of info if you have a mind, maverick...

Me? I'm off fishing by a very, non hammer fishery, and God help any blackbird that decides to peck the ground near me, looking for worms - he's gone, toot sweet !!!

Have you see those blackbirds stamping their feet?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast