Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  48
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Default Re: If I Had a Hammer....

Quote Originally Posted by maverick 7 View Post
    Christ what's this....the Spanish Inquisition?
    What question are you talking about Laguna?
    You invited observations. You also asked why fish weren't afraid of the racket you made

I didn't say it was a "favoured" peg....I said I fancied it.
    So it was favoured then

OK....let me explain the vacant pegs thing, the lake is big and is sort of divided into two large bays...if that's the right word. I was fishing the top "bay" and there was only me on it...however, there was a couple of carp anglers on the smaller "bay" that was completely out of sight from me and about 150 yards away too.....maybe more. Does that answer YOUR question? Maverick
    You've already answered your own question.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

I'm of the "it might not be a good thing to do so I wont do it" persuasion....in life generally as well as when fishing.

So...I dont hammer bank sticks in though I do carry a rubber mallet.This is for the brolly pole which I defy anybody to get in deep & solid enough without one.....unless you particularly want your brolly to take wing at the first half decent gust of wind. In my experience a badly "set" 50 in brolly doesn't take much of a breeze to reach escape velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Have you see those blackbirds stamping their feet?
    An insightful observation.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by terry m View Post
    An insightful observation.
    Hmmm...blackbird stamping its foot or bloke with rubber mallet setting up next to me. I know which one I'd prefer !

Quote Originally Posted by laguna View Post
    You invited observations. You also asked why fish weren't afraid of the racket you made...I would hardly say it was a racket...it lasted like 5 seconds if that, however, I STILL don't know why the fish wasn't afraid and your little "conclusive explanation" has made no headway to answer it either.
    So it was favoured then...ONLY by myself....you made it sound like it was THE favoured peg on the lake by everybody when in fact it was only fancied by myself

You've already answered your own question.

Sorry mate...why don't you explain to everyone how I have answered my own question 'cos you have completely lost me..... how does telling you that I was the only angler in the top bay and also telling you that there was a couple of carp anglers 150 yards or more away from me...possibly answer my own question? Which was of course... why wasn't the fish spooked when I used the mallet...as all you lot seem to think they should have been.

Can you expand on the "you've already answered your own question" conclusion...maybe I missed something.....

Maverick
    Last edited by maverick 7; 24-07-2015 at 18:12.

6. Default Re: If I Had a Hammer....

It may just be my suspicious mind, but I get the feeling that you enjoy starting contentious threads. I don't see you contributing much to e.g. the "How did you get on?" thread but you certainly seem to be keen on starting "How can i wind you up threads". I don't think anyone here (actually or you ) would have thought malleting a bankstick in was a good idea. Even with your limited contentions, causing a big unnatural disturbance is not likely to be a good thing on a river, is it?

As I say, might just be me...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Bailey View Post
    It may just be my suspicious mind, but I get the feeling that you enjoy starting contentious threads. I don't see you contributing much to e.g. the "How did you get on?" thread but you certainly seem to be keen on starting "How can i wind you up threads". I don't think anyone here (actually or you ) would have thought malleting a bankstick in was a good idea. Even with your limited contentions, causing a big unnatural disturbance is not likely to be a good thing on a river, is it?

As I say, might just be me...
    You're quite right Hugh...I DO like to start threads that are slightly different from the norm and ones that creates a lot of heat, attention and a little controversy....but not necessarily arguments though...at least not nasty ones.

Many people LIKE that sort of thing because it brings something extra to a forum discussion....hence the large number of posts that threads like this generate...they do tend to attract a lot of attention.

I enjoy (as apparently a lot of others do) a good heated debate...and you're also right about the fact that I don't make contributions to other less "contentious" threads...simply because I find some of them a little boring and tiresome. However, I do make contributions to threads I find interesting and on subjects I THINK I know a little about....

....so there you have it my friend..........so what?

Having said all that......I don't think there was much controversy in the " Moo Moo Here" and the "There was A Mouse" threads...do you?...so not ALL of my threads are contentious...are they?

As for the subject of this thread and in response to your suggestion that "you don't think malleting a bankstick in was a good idea"....of course it's not a good idea.... but only if a bankstick can be firmly put in the ground by other means. Unfortunately, that's not always the case is it?....sometimes it is simply impossible to get a bankstick in the ground without the aid of a mallet or similar.

Even with my "limited contentions" I still strongly believe that some members on here are far too touchy about using a mallet...it takes but a few seconds to put a bankstick in the ground...and it will definitely NOT ruin the days fishing either as has been proved countless times. We are talking about startling stupid creatures here who live their lives purely and 100% by instinct. Of course they will be instinctively startled when the vibration/noise starts....but they will equally instinctively return to what they were doing before the noise/vibration started within a few minutes...just as the bream did on my last outing....and many more fish before them.

Maverick
    Last edited by maverick 7; 25-07-2015 at 07:33.

Blog Entries

Mav, you're talking Winthorpe lake, I fished it for years untill it went on the Ashfield AA book. Never ever needed to hammer banksticks in- ever- the only place where it was a little more difficult was on "the spit" that divided the two bays as it was a little gravelly but even then it was'nt that difficult.
    Maybe work parties by Ashfield have laid some hard material close to the waterside since the early nineties I dont know.
    Last edited by flightliner; 25-07-2015 at 09:16.

Quote Originally Posted by flightliner View Post
    Mav, you're talking Winthorpe lake, I fished it for years untill it went on the Ashfield AA book. Never ever needed to hammer banksticks in- ever- the only place where it was a little more difficult was on "the spit" that divided the two bays as it was a little gravelly but even then it was'nt that difficult.
    Maybe work parties by Ashfield have laid some hard material close to the waterside since the early nineties I dont know.
    Yes I am talking Winthorpe lake Flight......and Ashfield has done a great job over the years of renovating many pegs on there ...wooden steps down to the water where it is needed and laid gravel to avoid the collection of mud I suppose. It has changed a lot since those days Flight that's for sure....but anyway, it could be anywhere...on the river, ponds, canals...anywhere where it is difficult to get a stick into the ground.

The peg I was fishing was the one next to the inlet and it is very gravel orientated.....even with the use of the mallet the sticks was still falling out..not very sturdy at all so how people get their banksticks in the ground when faced with a situation like that is beyond me. In fact I would like to know how people actually get their sticks in ground like that if they don't use a mallet....they can't all use little tripods for everything surely.

....please let me know how you all do it...BTW the screw type banksticks won't work in in situations like that either before anyone mentions them...so how do you do it.....I REALLY would like to know. I suspect a few people use mallets but won't admit it due to the "pressure" of other members views on the subject.

Maverick

I use one of these, it clamps onto the chair leg and is adjustable up and down. The rest is also telescopic.

This one was made by Fishface tackle but I'm not sure if they are still available..
    I notice Binka has something similar...

My other suggestion is use a seatbox and everything fixes to the legs...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast