Bloody irresponsible paddlers... What's it going to take?

B

binka

I’ve just had the ugliest and possibly the most idiotic skirmish with these idiots to date.

Around ten o’clock this morning a small group of three paddlers came down the river, the river is leased both sides to fishing clubs and there is no PRN as the riparian owners have not granted it and the river is otherwise non-navigable anyway as far as regular, river going craft are concerned.

I was trotting off of my rod tip and stood out in the water about six foot from the bank which was my limit before the depth dropped off sharply to around eight feet and the first I heard was a commotion coming from upstream and yells of “fisherman”.

Two of the paddlers moved to the opposite side of the river but the third, possibly concentrating on me, failed to notice my mate who was sat back into the bankside fishing two barbel rods two swims upriver from me and the paddler dragged my mates downstream line which resulted in the paddler coming into the bank backwards and right in to me between the small gap between my landing net, which was on two rests in the water to my left, and my rod which was on two rests in the water to my right, basically just the small area where I stand in the river in between.

The idiot had got 12lb mono wrapped around his neck and was asking me to help him remove it!

Despite my inclination to do otherwise I freed him from the line whilst he paddled to maintain position and whacked my rod in the process (fortunately no damage done) before I then told him he was trespassing, at this point one of the other paddlers then held position mid-stream to reply “Don’t tell me the f…..g law” followed by a tirade at the top of his voice.

Conveniently, gobby mouth declined my invitation to step ashore and discuss the matter further and after making my feelings clear to the fella I had just freed and who had courteously thanked me they paddled off downriver and out of sight.

I will also add that, going by their neoprene attire and type of canoes these idiots weren't novices who could maybe have been excused for not knowing better.

All of this comes on the back of an altercation a couple of weeks ago where a paddler leading a group of around a dozen others seemed to think that because he wasn’t touching the ground he wasn’t trespassing :confused:

Going back further I’ve missed ripping someone’s face off with a large Fox Replicant cast towards and island by literally a split second as paddlers emerged into view the moment the lure flew past, the fella leading must have felt the wind from it, it was that close.

My question is…

What the Hell is it going to take before these idiots start to act responsibly and lawfully?

flightliner

Reaction score
Same types that water ski at high marnham and lane ham ferry Steve. You're the only audience they have . Aquatic terrorists, had the paddlers like you have on my river idle clubwater near Retford.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I’ve just had the ugliest and possibly the most idiotic skirmish with these idiots to date.

Around ten o’clock this morning a small group of three paddlers came down the river, the river is leased both sides to fishing clubs and there is no PRN as the riparian owners have not granted it and the river is otherwise non-navigable anyway as far as regular, river going craft are concerned.

I was trotting off of my rod tip and stood out in the water about six foot from the bank which was my limit before the depth dropped off sharply to around eight feet and the first I heard was a commotion coming from upstream and yells of “fisherman”.

Two of the paddlers moved to the opposite side of the river but the third, possibly concentrating on me, failed to notice my mate who was sat back into the bankside fishing two barbel rods two swims upriver from me and the paddler dragged my mates downstream line which resulted in the paddler coming into the bank backwards and right in to me between the small gap between my landing net, which was on two rests in the water to my left, and my rod which was on two rests in the water to my right, basically just the small area where I stand in the river in between.

The idiot had got 12lb mono wrapped around his neck and was asking me to help him remove it!

Despite my inclination to do otherwise I freed him from the line whilst he paddled to maintain position and whacked my rod in the process (fortunately no damage done) before I then told him he was trespassing, at this point one of the other paddlers then held position mid-stream to reply “Don’t tell me the f…..g law” followed by a tirade at the top of his voice.

Conveniently, gobby mouth declined my invitation to step ashore and discuss the matter further and after making my feelings clear to the fella I had just freed and who had courteously thanked me they paddled off downriver and out of sight.

I will also add that, going by their neoprene attire and type of canoes these idiots weren't novices who could maybe have been excused for not knowing better.

All of this comes on the back of an altercation a couple of weeks ago where a paddler leading a group of around a dozen others seemed to think that because he wasn’t touching the ground he wasn’t trespassing :confused:

Going back further I’ve missed ripping someone’s face off with a large Fox Replicant cast towards and island by literally a split second as paddlers emerged into view the moment the lure flew past, the fella leading must have felt the wind from it, it was that close.

My question is…

What the Hell is it going to take before these idiots start to act responsibly and lawfully?

HAd a couple of disputes with the paddle brigade my self earlier in the year on one of the canals i fish they actually go for your gear , was fishing with pinkies at the time one got a very good shower of them .

My answer on waters with no navigation rights would be piano wire good and tight , Harsh but they would at least get the message ..

PG ..

thecrow

Reaction score
I must admit to being very impressed with your patience in untangling one of them although it was probably most prudent thing to do, not sure that I could have been so forgiving.

This will go on and on until one side or the other go to court (I doubt the paddlers will as they know what the outcome will be) although I get the feeling that even after a court case some paddlers will continue to do whatever they want, mostly they are in short t##t# who have no respect for anyone else.

What bothers me about these incidents is what happens when a paddler gets injured accidently by an anglers tackle :eek: last year on the Wye I had a drunken paddler wrapped in 30lb braid, I was lucky not to have my rod dragged in and my mind was more on saving my rod than the damage I might have been doing to the paddler, it was only afterwards that I thought what if the braid had sliced into him what would have happened to me, who would have been to blame.

B

binka

What bothers me about these incidents is what happens when a paddler gets injured accidently by an anglers tackle :eek: last year on the Wye I had a drunken paddler wrapped in 30lb braid, I was lucky not to have my rod dragged in and my mind was more on saving my rod than the damage I might have been doing to the paddler, it was only afterwards that I thought what if the braid had sliced into him what would have happened to me, who would have been to blame.

That's exactly the kind of implication that worries me.

I felt like lamping the prat caught up in the line but he was clearly uneasy and embarrassed about the situation but the gobby prat mid-river was a different proposition altogether, I could have happily made him feel his pulse in his nose.

And guess who would have been in the wrong?

bennygesserit

Reaction score

My question is…

what did he weigh ?

john step

Reaction score
They are the same sort of mental defective as the idiots who do stupid things on the road or like the dog walkers I had dealings/verbal abuse from recently who were trespassing and and allowing two dogs to run amongst my tackle and then shout at me that they could walk where they liked.

I wonder if those voodoo dolls that you stick pins in work at all:wh

pf0x

Reaction score
Their governing bodies/organisations continually pump out false information that paddling/canoeing etc isn't 'Tresspass' because the water is moving so doesn't 'belong' to anyone and the law relates to the 'riverbed' not the water running over the riverbed.

They're trying to be smartarses by exploiting this apparent 'technicality'. But it is utter rubbish and does not stand up in court of law. They know it. But I think they're playing a long game.

There is no 'Right' to paddle anywhere expect in certain areas (like the Wye or Scotland). It is not universal.

It's part of the sense of entitlement. "I want to do something so I will. Sod the law. The law is wrong". Etc etc.

Canoeing etc is a lovely way to travel. If I'm fishing and the odd canoeist glides pasts quietly I'm not bothered.

But it is presented as a lovely and quiet peaceful past-time. This is false. My experience of it is anything but. It's large groups of people banging into each other and the bank and lots of shouting (because they're always spread out).

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems high time that the Angling Trust gave us an update on the Legal proceedings that they had commenced but now seems to have fallen off of the radar/.

The last time it appeared that the Paddlers lacked the testicular fortitude to have this tested in court . . . more's the pity!

Only be a court ruling will we ever get to the end of this perennial problem, and once rules (in favour of the anglers) then enforcement or at least reporting these incidents will lessen the problem.

So, Angling Trust, can we have an update, please?

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Focussing on the individuals doing the paddling is addressing the results rather than the cause of the problems. The cause is the authorities reluctance to do their jobs and actively stop these canoeists - it's these 'authority' people who need a rocket up the ar5e.
I've just contacted my MP in order to get the ombudsman involved re the Wye 'Navigation Officer' avoiding doing his job and stopping the unlawful canoeists who paddle my stretch. I've had enough. The procedure is to address the complaint via the EA but ensure you send it to the correct 'enquiries' email address.

Snip from my official complaint:
"
....Something has to be done. And somebody has to do it.

To that end I wish to register a formal complaint against the Environmental Agency, who tell me they are the Navigation Authority for the entire length of river, not just the English river but all the Welsh river too. My complaint is specifically regarding the EA Navigation Officer’s reluctance to act against the unlawful canoeists who ignore the fact that NO public right of navigation has ever been granted to the river upstream of Herefordshire. The reasoning/excuse behind this reluctance was given as a paragraph in the Wye Navigation Order which neither confirms not denies the existence of a PRN. I consider this nonsensical statement to be just that and insist that the Navigation Officer protects my fishery from these unlawful navigators with immediate effect. If not, I have been advised to involve an Ombudsman and have recently contacted my MP to that end.

There is no grey area in this issue. Either a PRN exists for this stretch, in which case please show me the document and you shall hear no more from me, or it does not exist. In which case you are charged with doing your jobs by stopping this canoe activity right now. Varying interpretations of the Wye Navigation Order are not a substitute for a PRN."

caelan

Reaction score
HAD a day out on the river thames today why do the paddlers think it ok to
come right into the bank they got he whole --cking river to do there paddling
in then another lot stop right over your grounbaited area to have a chin wag
when I asked any chance of paddling offff they stayed right there so I had a bite to eat lovely an still caught then they did one

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
A genuine word of advice..........whenever making a complaint, ie: for example as per Geoffs above to the EA...

ALWAYS send a letter/communication to your MP and the Chairman of the company, and state in your complaint to the Office concerned that you have done so.

It usually gets things moving.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Merv. It's rare that us simple members of the public try to complain and when we do, these beurocrats areso adept at fielding the complaints as ‘wrong procedure’ approaches etc that often nothing gets to the correct ears.

pf0x

Reaction score
It's hard to argue with them. They're either:

a) completely ignorant of any laws ("I didn't know")
b) aware of the laws and but don't think they're doing anything wrong ("I'm not doing any harm")
c) aware of laws but don't agree with them ("F*** off. I'm not trespassing. The rivers don't belong to anyone. You can't stop me. I'll go where I want to")

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It's hard to argue with them. They're either:

a) completely ignorant of any laws ("I didn't know")
b) aware of the laws and but don't think they're doing anything wrong ("I'm not doing any harm")
c) aware of laws but don't agree with them ("F*** off. I'm not trespassing. The rivers don't belong to anyone. You can't stop me. I'll go where I want to")

. . . well now, given their recent history and the good Reverends unique reading of ancient laws I think you'd have to day that . . . . .

It is C)

flightliner

Reaction score
We had a couple on our strech of the river idle. Matey was a skinny little runt and his "mate" was the biggest, fattest female imaginable who ever could be squeesed into a canoe.
"Skinny was doing all the hard work and "Biggie " was justsat doing nothing putting more weight on.
Protest from several anglers were met with a string of abuse untill the canoe suddenly ran aground on a shallow spit of gravel and sand.No matter how the little runt tried he could'nt move the canoe and eventually he had to shoehorn the lardarse out of the craft into the water with him in order to get moving.
The merriment and ribaldry from bankside anglers was priceless especially has they could'nt get back onboard and had to scramble up a muddy high bank.
Brilliant piece of justice to a couple of dedheads.:D

rubio

Reaction score
A couple of spots I fish are frequented by paddlers too. I seem to have been lucky in that they have all, without exception been both sociable and considerate. Occasionally a less capable one splashes by in a mild panic at their inability to point their boat straight. Nothing quite as entertaining as the tale above. Is it a hotspot for free prat shows?
I used to enjoy family visits to the broads catching ruffe in a shallow dyke whilst watching newly promoted cruiser skippers realise they should have listened to instructions at the marina.
"Can we get any further down here mate?"
All gathered would respond in the negative and point to the turning bay where they needed to reverse out in order to get to the river. We would then turn our attention away from tiny floats and make guesses as to how many times they would run up the chains before extracrating themselves. The water was generally black before most had finished a 38 point turn, and just perfect for ruffe. I would be most dischuffed in a barbel swim.

flightliner

Reaction score
If you utube "carching chub and barbel with pellets chris and james fishing" it shows an angler fishing the idle just below my club stretch, playing a barbel he is overun with paddlers cutting thro his line and its all a big joke to the idiots on the water.
You can hear his partner warning the paddlers who seem to take no notice-- awful attitude to say the least!.Take note of the riverbed too, hardly the place for boaters.