Lifelands on the hampshire avon

alexmack

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wondered if this section above ringwood is still available on a day ticket, I fished it for the chub last year and believe it was a Christchurch as water, but now doesn't appear on their website. I have 3 days and with my limited knowledge of the river fancied trying my luck on it again, however I don't know if you can still buy a ticket for this bit.

Any information on this or any other nice Avon day tickets would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to private message me to avoid the world turning up on your favourite stretches!!!!

Thanks

Alex

pf0x

Reaction score
Lifelands is part of the Somerley Estate and they now have a private syndicate (CAC have lost the rights to fish).

I think CAC still have the 'Ringwood Fishery' (which is downstream of Lifelands but I've never fished it). There is a map on the CAC website.

Day Ticket Venues and Information | Christchurch Angling Club

I've never fished Sopley but it is a gorgeous stretch. Loads of water to go at with the main river and mill stream.

Bisterne is always worth a go. Leave Ringwood. Follow the Christchurch Road south it's a few miles outside town. Turn right off the main road at the signpost on the main road (it used to say "Coarse Fishing" I think). Think it was £12 a day two years ago. You pay at the cottage at the end of the lane.

CAC members can fish it and there is info on their website too but it is also open to the general public.

Open July and August only (and sometimes last week or two of the season???) Miles of water. It's difficult but the rewards are there. Lots of chub. Some cracking barbel. Some swims you can fish near your car but you can walk miles if you want to. Not easy.

PM me if you like.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Lifelands is indeed on the Somerley syndicate.

Dependant on the time you have available, I would consider joining Ringwood and that would give you access to Severals and also Throop among others.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Upper Winkton is well worth the visit too on that ticket.

The Fisherman's Haunt does a decent lunch as well and its not too far from the river either . . . . do try the balsamic pickled duck egg in the Plowman's lunch there . . . . it is really very good.

Also, the New Queen is also worth a visit after the day's fishing, you still get a decent Badger's pint in there even these days . . . . .

To my mind fishing is not all just about the fish or the river, but the surrounding attractions too . . . .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Ringwood tackle shop, try their website for a contact form or ring them on
(01425) 475155. They should put you right on all the day ticket facilities around Ringwood.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

Upper Winkton is well worth the visit too on that ticket.

The Fisherman's Haunt does a decent lunch as well and its not too far from the river either . . . . do try the balsamic pickled duck egg in the Plowman's lunch there . . . . it is really very good.

Also, the New Queen is also worth a visit after the day's fishing, you still get a decent Badger's pint in there even these days . . . . .

To my mind fishing is not all just about the fish or the river, but the surrounding attractions too . . . .

If anyone's left alive within 50 miles of the area - is that the Queens Head half way between Ringwood and Winkton, they used to do a Day Ticket on a small stretch many years ago, I do not know if they still do it. I cannot remember the name of the pub; I think it was the Queens Head.

alexmack

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies,

Much appreciated. I will certainly have a go at the winkton stretch and perhaps the new day ticket section at Sopley. It's only the second time I have fished it, I had a try on the lifelands stretch last year as well as ringwood and winkton with some stunning chub to 5lb but by no means was it easy!! I also found the ibsley wier section on the last day, boy do I wish I had fished it then!!!!!

Thanks for the fishing and pub tips, I will certainly be keen to explore the river stretches and public houses mentioned. I have 3 days so hope I manage to find an illusive 6lb chub and a great pint of ringwood 49er in the places you pointed me towards!!

Thanks again and tight lines

Alex

no-one in particular

Reaction score

Yep, that's the one, just above it there was a bridge across the Avon and they did day tickets for a stretch below the bridge. It was only small about 1/4 mile and you could only get the tickets when the pub was open. Nice stretch and we had a few barbel from it. One nice thing, not many people on it at the time as it was not well known, sometimes we were the only ones. However, it was a long time ago so, whether this is still the case I don't know. I expect it is all different now but if anyone was passing maybe drop in and ask. You never know.

alexmack

Reaction score
Thanks Peter and mark,

I will give them a call and see if it is still the case! Always happy to swap a ringwood ale for a pint of Badger as well, so sounds like a winner! I will post a reply to let you know how I get on! Fingers crossed I will bump in to the greediest and most obliging chub and barbel in the avon! You never know!! :)

Thanks again

Alex

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Have to admit to being a very recent convert to Badger's First Call - after a day on the river, that's as good as it gets - terrific pint!! :)

swizzle

Reaction score
I would suggest either the Upper Winkton or Lower Winkton stretch personally. The fishing on the Avon has been tough this year, and from what I know the Winkton stretches see the least angling pressure. Some great chub in the stretch plus a few Barbel. The fish certainly don't see as many baits as the Severals and Lifelands stretches, what with the Royalty being the closest thing to a commercial Barbel fishery in the country, it is definitely the place I would go with out access to the Ringwood waters. I may be wrong but I believe the day tickets are s fiver from Davis tackle in Christchurch. Don't quote me on that though.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Royalty day was £12 last time I went and that was a couple of years back. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. From Davis Tackle, limited to 20 per day so you need to get there early.

bracket

Reaction score
I agree with swizzle. Upper Winkton is a lovely venue, but hard at the moment. I fished it the other week, a tad too early for the stickfloat, still full of weed. I did find a peg on the mill stream, just above the White House, where I could put the float through OK and had fifty odd fish, small dace, chublets and gudgeon but nothing over 3oz. Still nice to find some fish.
There were a few day ticket guys there but I had the members car park to myself. There was one angler above me with a feeder rod out, but when I went to have a chat with him he was fast asleep on his chair and driving them home, so I left him to his dreams. I will wait while September before having another go there. Pete.

swizzle

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear, I meant day tickets for the Winkton stretch were a fiver the last I heard. I wouldn't go to the Royalty if I wanted a nice peaceful day. The foot traffic at that place is ridiculous.

Tight lines.

alexmack

Reaction score
Cheers for the replies chaps,

Will certainly be giving winkton a go. I did fish it last year and had a few chub. All were small, but it screamed for me to have a propper go at it. To be honest I just played about and wondered at the glory of the avon. (I don't know if I will be doing any different this year to be honest!). Lovely place and a great crabtree atmosphere. I was smitten. It's nice to know it's definitely worth fishing. Fingers crossed!!

Appreciate the Badger ale reccomendation as well. Will certainly drink a few after and hopefully toast a prize fish!

Thanks again for all you replies. It's hugely appreciated!

Alex

terry m

Reaction score
Ale is of course a very personal thing, rightly so, but I am surprised at the people extolling the virtues of Badger beer. To my mind is is truly dreadful.

Stick with the Ringwood 49 er, or try Old Thumper if you have a robust constitution.

Badger beer, pah!

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like a pint of Ringwood as much as the next man but Badger's First Call to me is something special. :):w

alexmack

Reaction score
Quite fond of them all,

Ringwood 49er is certainly a favourite and don't mind the Badger either. (I even like a bottle of that peachy golden glory!).

I am tied to one woman, thank god I don't have to be tied to one ale!!!:) they all taste great after that dream fish!!!

Alex!

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is good to see so many "locals" to the area . . . . . .

About 10 or 12 years ago we had a little group affectionaly known as the Wessex Maffia who would meet up every couple of months or so for a few beers and a good old chin-wag . . . . . .

We had quite a lose definition of "Wessex" so we included a few interlopers from Hampshire and Dorset as well.

We would meet up at the Bull at Downton and generally set the ifshing world to rights over a few pints.

Having seen a good few on this thread I now wonder if we might consider resurecting the Wessex Maffia?

Anyone interested?

pf0x

Reaction score
If I lived closer I would but unfortunately I'm 2 hours away (on a good day and no bleeding traffic jams around Wimborne!)

Have always been tempted to move to the area though.......

:w