Roach bait question

dnahacker

Reaction score
Hi, I am taking a trip abroad for work, I am lucky enough to get paid to go fishing..I will be fishing for SMALL roach and perch, perch I am gonna take mepps and small plastics, roach I will be taking some wagglers.. so here's the rub... I am gonna be fishing in the heart of the Chernobyl exclusion zone. I need to take bait with me so it has to go in my luggage and stay useable for 2 weeks. I was thinking some small soft pellets? I am not awfully familiar with "fake baits" any help would be appreciated...

dangermouse

Reaction score
How about a bag of hemp and some fake hemp for the hook. Sweetcorn is another option. Or a bag of wheat, you`ll just need a flask to cook it in. A couple of cups into the flask, top up with hot water and leave overnight.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
See if you can find that Mosella "Magic Bread" - not sure if it's still made, but some shops may still have it - feed any old local bread (which can't be guaranteed to be any cop as hookbait) then cut a slice off the dried Mosella stuff (using strong line as a cheesewire, as per instructions), soak for a few minutes while tackling up, or while travelling, and punch/snip/tear tiny bits off for hookbait. My best is nine fish on a single piece, so it's even more durable than maggot (my best = 6).
I think there are a few Youtube vids to help you.
Bring back a few Mormyshkas for drop-shotting... I think these may be being kept on the "down-low", over here, verb. sap....;)

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

P.S. Decathlon do something similar-but-different called "Pain Chaillou".

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I thought of all the various tins of stuff you could take but it would mean weight in the luggage. However theres plenty to choose from, hemp, sweetcorn, chick peas etc. However then I thought of worms, dug locally, good for perch and roach, some small digging implement taken or bought locally for your stay.Given the area it may be best to ask about it though first.

dnahacker

Reaction score
Digging in a nuclear disaster zone isn't the smartest move, with a bit of common sense and sticking to the rules this is a reasonably safe trip considering where I am heading, digging isn't an option .

robertroach

Reaction score
It's a bit off the point, but what sort of a job do you have where you get paid to go fishing in a nuclear disaster zone?
Maybe you could go fishing at night - the fish will be glowing in the dark.

dnahacker

Reaction score
I am a molecular biologist, the fish are being sampled as part of a study, we are looking at DNA damage in the fish caused by the radiation at various points at different distances away from the site of the breech.

Harvey

Reaction score
I would go for sweetcorn for the roach and worms for the perch. And I would not fish with hooks smaller than no. 10.

There is a german manufacturer (Behr Trendex) who makes excellent fake sweetcorn. Made from silicone, they are soft, sweetsmelling and bright yellow. Can be found on Ebay, possibly on german Ebay. They also make fake maggots and waspgrubs.

I would not go for tiny baits like hemp, and I would not bring with me hemp from one country to another, unless the seeds are boiled and tinned.

You can most likely find worms on the premises, but I would bring my own. One less thing to worry about. I would also bring my own sweetcorn. There is probably not a lot of shops inside the restricted area.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have fished many tournaments, festivals and matches all over Europe and Scandinavia I was always very careful about what baits I took with me versus what I could get locally.

Customs officials can be very difficult regarding bags of maggots in your luggage . . . . . and when in Norway we had to get a Home Ministry License to Import them!

So, I would stick to the "natural" baits like: Bread, sweet corn and wheat

Remember all the diffeerent baits you cna make fron Bread; flake, crust, paste, punch . . . . . . probably the most versatile single bait there is, and then don't forget you can use an additive to bread to make it different. Things like peanut butter on flake or custard powder to add to paste . . .

So many possible variations and all using basic food products that shouldn't cause you any grief with Customs . . . . . . .

I hope you will give us a report on what was caught when you return; I think many would be interested in how you fished and what successes you had.

Last edited:

dnahacker

Reaction score
Hi

bit of an update for you..

I have acquired a JW youngs trotter float rod, 13 ft long 5 piece affair in a nice robust travel tube, the extra joints make for a slightly weighty rod but it will do the job just nice.

when we booked the flights it was decided we would fly business class as the baggage allowance is obscene (2x32kg) so i can have 1 bag for clothes ans one for fishing stuff (i need to take waders etc).

i went to the tackle shop yesterday and got a huge pot of frenzied hemp (2.5 litres) and a couple of bags of groundbait and a load of plastics, (maggot, caster, corn, bloodworm) and a couple of pots of the new sonubaits 4mm bloodworm pellets, i will do what i can with bread etc when i am there

we will see what happens !!!

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

Hey i just had a thought... i have plenty of plastics, maggots and worms, what if i dipped them in a bloodwork glug ?i could even take a syringe and needle from the lab an inject it into them...

Last edited:
Reaction score
wow that sounds very exciting. I remember seeing Jeremy Wade fishing there on the TV show river monsters. I'm sure he started using lures in an attempt to catch a cat but had nothing but perch so changed to meat and caught a Wels unless i stand corrected

please do give us a trip report when you return :)

tight lines

Neil