Blackberries

symonh2000

Reaction score
I decided to go down the river for an hour earlier, and as it was raining I was hoping to find a few slugs to freeline for chub.

I didn't manage to find any slugs, but I decided to have a go at Freelining blackberries because they were everywhere.

On the first cast I caught a chub of about 1 1/2 lbs, a few mins later I had another of just over 1lb, and later I hooked a nice Roach which managed to get off of the hook.

Has anyone else used them?

They make your hands smell nicer than slugs do as well. ;)

sumtime

Reaction score
Well done you, Sy, always gonna try them but never got round to it, tried elderberries on the canal to no avail.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
I decided to go down the river for an hour earlier, and as it was raining I was hoping to find a few slugs to freeline for chub.

I didn't manage to find any slugs, but I decided to have a go at Freelining blackberries because they were everywhere.

On the first cast I caught a chub of about 1 1/2 lbs, a few mins later I had another of just over 1lb, and later I hooked a nice Roach which managed to get off of the hook.

Has anyone else used them?

They make your hands smell nicer than slugs do as well. ;)

Hi ..

By Blackberries do you mean the proper single fruit or the fruit of the bramble ( pity they are not fully ripe yet fish dont get a lookin) just wondered ...

PG ...

symonh2000

Reaction score
Hi ..

By Blackberries do you mean the proper single fruit or the fruit of the bramble ( pity they are not fully ripe yet fish dont get a lookin) just wondered ...

PG ...

The fruit of the bramble.

If you pick the ones which are not quite fully ripe they are harder and stay on the hook better.

They don't work as well as black slugs, but the fish do still seem to like them.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
The fruit of the bramble.

If you pick the ones which are not quite fully ripe they are harder and stay on the hook better.

They don't work as well as black slugs, but the fish do still seem to like them.

Hummm ok .

I will have to give some of them a try our club pool has a veritable collection of them so will be trying them on Wednesday with luck ...

PG ...

The Runner

Reaction score
Yes, chub love them
Years ago me and a mate used to go to the Cherwell for chub at this time of year deliberately taking no bait and using only what we could find on the bank which generally meant slugs , lobworms or blackberries. Slugs would usually outfish anything else, you could often see the fish and it was unreal how quickly they would go for a big black slug even if it hit the water ten yards away. If you needed to throw a few free samples in though, blackberries would be a better bet as the slugs would stick to your hands...

While on the subject of chub and natural baits , my old match travelling partner Steve Johnstone is probably the only person ever to have won a match fishing waggler and craneflies (Thames at Buscot)...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Whats the difference between bramble and blackberry? Was that the grub of crane-fly or the adult? I think they are called leather jackets and live in the ground. I have seen a film of chub eating blackberries but a roach on one, that might be worth a try, never heard of a roach taking them. I fancy that, I think a good big roach bait.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Whats the difference between bramble and blackberry? Was that the grub of crane-fly or the adult? I think they are called leather jackets and live in the ground. I have seen a film of chub eating blackberries but a roach on one, that might be worth a try, never heard of a roach taking them. I fancy that, I think a good big roach bait.

The Balckberry is the small single purple fruit used to make Ribena the bramble is a multi faceted fruit similar to a Rasberry ....

Cranefly Lave are Leather Jackets crows & Magpies lov e them make a hell of a mess of the greens digging them up thou Impervious to most insectercides .

PG ...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
The Balckberry is the small single purple fruit used to make Ribena the bramble is a multi faceted fruit similar to a Rasberry ....

Cranefly Lave are Leather Jackets crows & Magpies lov e them make a hell of a mess of the greens digging them up thou Impervious to most insectercides .

PG ...

cheers, and because this was too short, cheers

The Runner

Reaction score

It was on the adult cranefly, fished on a greased line with a 3AAA waggler. Was a really hot day with quite a strong breeze and loads of craneflies were being blown off the setaside field behind the river and the chub started coming up for them. He had his younger brother, junior member at the time, catching the craneflies for him...

robertroach

Reaction score
I think the single berries they make Ribena from are blackcurrants, not blackberries.
Brambles and blackberries are the same thing. I might have a go with a blackberry for chub next time I'm at the river.

greenie62

Reaction score
I think the single berries they make Ribena from are blackcurrants, not blackberries.
Brambles and blackberries are the same thing...

Spot on Robert,
Blackberries and Brambles are both Rubus fruticosus.

robtherake

Reaction score

PG ...

Blackberry and bramble are one and the same. Ribena is made from blackcurrants.

Bums - beaten to the punch again. Note to self: read to bottom of thread before jumping in, dummkopf!

Last edited:

symonh2000

Reaction score

PG ...

I would imagine that the Chub get to eat quite a few Blackberries that fall into the river naturally.