Any Tips on Photographing Fish?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
With a mobile phone? I struggle with this a bit. I read somewhere that the longer fish are out of the water their brains get starved of oxygen and this can have unseen effects on them. I take as quick a picture as possible, usually a pretty poor shot if the fish is flapping about. My phone automatically shuts down so I have to switch it on first which takes a little time to come on. If I have forgotten to have it set on camera mode I have to press a few buttons. If my fingers are gungy I mess the phone up, I clean it when I get home with some white spirit on a tissue. Would a digital device used just for picture taking be a better option, kept in the tackle bag for just one purpose, which would be best and how much?
I just wondered if anyone has any tips or ideas on photographing fish in general, might be helpful.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
It's amazing how cheap you can get a good small camera of ebay - with the older models being better made than most the new stuff on sale now. Pop one in your tackle bag and away you go, so much better than a phone and a lot harder to drop in the water;)

hyperdrive

Reaction score
Even though my phone takes half decent pictures I still prefer a camera. Don't take it very often, only if I am going somewhere where I think there might be a chance of a really good fish. I have one of those adapters to put the camera on a bankstick so I get it set up roughly for where my mat is laid then just press the timer button, easy. got loads of pictures of my boots and my hat:D

B

binka

I use my iphone.

If it is already prepared and in camera mode whilst the fish is resting in a submerged landing net it won't time out or switch the screen off... Can you alter the time out settings on your phone Mark?

If I can I always try and put something in the shot for scale (forceps used to be very popular :D) and it generally makes for a more interesting picture.

Despite a shot looking like it might have taken a while to set up the fish is actually resting in the water whilst doing so and can then be out, photographed and resting up again before release in a matter of seconds...

I do like the idea of just having a cheap but decent digi camera though, it removes the risk of damaging an expensive mobile phone.

Not that I'm prone to doing that sort of thing mind :wh

duncan_m

Reaction score
Small digital camera; I have an old bankstick with a camera stud on that enables me to mount the camera on delay mode to take selfies (inc fish) very easily and without faffing around to set up.
Camera also enables setup better ie exposure and focus on the fish (if you get in the centre! ).
If it's only the fish then a good camera phone is fine, if not even easier for such shots in good light - but few have the manual settings necessary at times!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
Binka, that is a very neat float box. If I put a photo on here of mine I think folk would throw up:eek:

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
I got a holder for my iPhone from eBay
, also got a little remote which connects to the iPhone by Bluetooth, and takes the photo.
The holder screws into a bank stick
Once set up its easy to take photos with.
Also Can be used with android phones as well.
I usually have a stick just at the bottom of the screen when it's set up and hold the fish above that.
Very handy when you are on your own.

peterjg

Reaction score
For self take photos the normal 10 second timer is OK for small fish but for big carp I suggest that you use a bulb release and kneel on it when you have picked up the carp. The 10 second timer is not long enough for a big carp.

Also frame the picture slightly further away than normal then when printing you can zoom in a bit to properly frame the photo.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I use my iphone.

If it is already prepared and in camera mode whilst the fish is resting in a submerged landing net it won't time out or switch the screen off... Can you alter the time out settings on your phone Mark?

I do like the idea of just having a cheap but decent digi camera though, it removes the risk of damaging an expensive mobile phone.

Not that I'm prone to doing that sort of thing mind :wh

You take a nice shot Binka - the time out on my phone is extremely irritating although I have got a bit used to it now. Its a Nokia something or other and i could not find any way to alter the time out; I took it back to the shop as well and they couldn't find it either. £50 phone and I find that annoying.
I think I might look out for a cheap second hand digi camera, I think it would be better, I am not after anything elaborate, just a quick half decent shot will do.
Some good advice on setting it up as well from everyone, taken note. thanks.

B

binka

Binka, that is a very neat float box.

Give it time John, give it time... :D

Funny story about the first time I met flighty...

I was showing him my waggler box (!) and he took one long look at it before a pregnant pause and exclaiming...

"You need order in your life, don't you"

:D :D :D

john step

Reaction score
Just a thought. Recently there was a thread about clumsiness / falling in.

My camera is now a fuji WATERPROOF/DROP PROOF/DUST PROOF/JOHN STEP PROOF job with a 10 second self timer. About £90 on ebay.

flightliner

Reaction score
Give it time John, give it time... :D

Funny story about the first time I met flighty...

I was showing him my waggler box (!) and he took one long look at it before a pregnant pause and exclaiming...

"You need order in your life, don't you"

:D :D :D
Steve, just seen the pik in your previous post, biggest dibbers I've ever seen.:D

qtaran111

Reaction score
I use an old bashed up iPhone I kept when I got my new phone. As it's old I'm not fussed about it getting slimed or knocked about. It also lasts for ages with it left on but in airplane mode.

The other advantage is its fast (probably faster than a digital camera) by using the "slide up" camera icon on the lock screen that takes you directly to the camera app which minimises the time out of the water.

retrobob

Reaction score
I like the occasional picture - first priority is unhook the fish (on an unhooking mat if size requres you to lay the fish down); if I'm taking a photo I then put the fish in my landing net back in the water to avoid having it out too long. Once you've worked out how you want the photo taken then take the fish out. If someone is taking a picture of you, be sure to have the water in the background rather than trees (unless you caught the fish in the woods).

Remember, look at the camera or look like a plonker staring at the fish's head.

darren7478

Reaction score
If like me, you are using a smart phone to capture your PB'S, then I can't recommend this little gadget enough.

Gone are the days of balancing my phone on my tackle box and hoping for the best. This can either be free standing or wrap the legs around something to give you the best position

I usually have the phone in video mode, hold the fish up for a few seconds, get it back in the water and then take a still image from the video once I'm back home.

Joby GripTight GorillaPod Stand for Smartphones - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/417OQU6ld%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@417OQU6ld%2BL

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

tincatim

Reaction score
That's just the thing I've been looking for Darren!

Can you wrap it around a bank stick so the phone is taking a portrait pic?

greenie62

Reaction score
...My camera is now a fuji WATERPROOF/DROP PROOF/DUST PROOF/JOHN STEP PROOF job with a 10 second self timer. About £90 on ebay.

After my little Canon lenses started sticking - possibly from dust/damp/etc - I treated myself to an Aldi camera - £32.99 - which I thought was brill - waterproof to 10ft - very compact.
Only snag I found after posting piccies from it was that to transfer images you had to either:
- remove memory card and insert it into SD reader on PC,
- connect to PC via cable
both of which worked fine - BUT - because it is so waterproof the only way of doing either of these things mean that you have to get into the battery compartment - in doing so you disconnect the batteries which causes the memory to lose the current Date & Time settings!
OK - so resetting them only takes a few minutes - but remembering to reset them is another thing - so you end up with a picture taken last week with a Creation Date in January2015 :eek:mg:

This may be common to all/most waterproof cameras - something to watch out for!

seth49

Reaction score
View item:
Mobile Phone Holder For Fishing, Selfie Fish. Fishing Photography,

End Time: 29 Sep 2015 13:42:07 BST

These look ok.