Senior moments

robertroach

Reaction score
Went fishing last Thursday to a lake 20 miles away. When I got there and unpacked I realised I had put my pole in its bag in the car but not my rod holdall containing umbrella, rods, bank sticks and landing net handle.

Luckily it was a rubbish session so no need for the landing net.
Unluckily the heavens opened and I got soaked to the skin. Must get some better waterproof clothing soon.

steve2

Reaction score
Driving 30 miles back to a lake looking for my camera only to find them in the boot of the car when I got there.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Leaving my fishing waistcoat containing my phone house keys etc on the back of a chair at a diner in Devon and only realising when I arrived at the waterside in Cornwall. Still only a 54 mile trip to retrieve it.

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
I am convinced there are two distinctly separate causes in this category. The first, heavily discussed so far, is a spectacular failing in performance.

The second, as happened to me just a few minutes ago, is a spectacular failing in standards.

It seems like five minutes ago that my clothing choices were made with vastly ulterior motives, usually something akin to "nice suit, the chicks will dig that."

Now, sadly, I find somewhere along the line I got old. Following on from a recent purchase of a Cotton Traders sweater because it looked warm and comfortable (what? No Crocodile or Polo Player on it??), this morning's moment of triumph occurred just a few minutes ago after the Postie delivered, amongst the mail, a Tilley Hat catalogue.

Page five contained a "Classic Winter Hat" with forehead and ear warmers attached. My first thought was "Oh, that seems a good idea" before screaming at myself that I'm not actually 50 yet!! There are vest wearing Geordies on a Friday night out older than me.....

Winter 2015 could, not so slowly, be starting to become my own Winter of Discontent. Maybe I need a hat with ear warmers....no, no, no, no.....:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Not a senior moment but one to do with age.

Visited my daughter today who lives in the black country, while I was there I asked my son in law to look up the post code of Fosters tackle as I needed a new landing net and intended dropping in on the way home.

About 10 mins after asking for Fosters postcode my grand daughter asked me, is Fosters a care home :eek: I asked her if she thought that's where I should be she answered yes your very old now........... kids eh.:D

B

binka

It’s quite funny that this thread should come up really.

As one or two on here already know I’ve been referred to a consultant neurologist for problems which, amongst other things, involve memory lapses and general confusion.

On two occasions after moving house a couple of years ago I went back to the old house by mistake, probably not a big deal considering I lived there for twenty one years but the best one is, after owning two door cars for the last seventeen years, I’ve now bought a four door again and occasionally when I’m at work flitting between customers and on auto pilot I take my jacket off before getting in and sling it on the far back seat along with my case before then getting in myself… In the back seat!

Doing paperwork in the car and looking up to not recognise where you are is another good one despite me visiting these places for well over twenty years.

The good news is that they don’t think it’s early onset dementia but it’s occasionally frustrating when I’ve been turning the house upside down for my mobile or car keys which generally tend to be anywhere between in my hand or my shirt breast pocket.

I've just managed to get re-referred for a CT scan after initially going for an MRI, checking in with reception and then promptly doing a runner as I sat in the waiting room looking at all the pictures of this torpedo tube that they intended stuffing me into :eek:

I think I might just be able to use this to get away will all sorts of things :D

Anyway back to thread and my answer is…

Yes I do think it’s inappropriate to keep zebras in a Polo mint factory.

DorsetTangler

Reaction score
I leave my car in 1st gear with handbrake off to avoid brakes binding.
Last week, one morning, got in and the windows were fairly misty, clutch down, started the engine, set the fans going, attempted to set off and promptly reversed into my house. Car was in reverse gear not first.:eek:mg:

Reaction score
I phoned one of those accident at work compensation lines.

Apparently, pooing your pants isn't considered an accident.

WELL I DIDN'T DO IT ON PURPOSE!

Apparently, to get a claim someone else has to poo in your pants.

Harvey

Reaction score
Last summer I planned a weekentrip, targeting perch in a river an hours drive from home. I came home from work friday afternoon, and loaded the car with all my stuff. But I could not find my brolly. A fine, new Fox Matrix brolly, bought from Tim Aplin a few months earlier. My old Brollnets brolly was a goner, leaky and worn out after years of service.

I had used the brolly two weeks earlier, and managed to convince myself that I had left it on the bankside. It was not in the direction I was going to drive, but I had to have look. It might still be there.

It wasn't. And on my way there, I also remembered that I had forgot my bivvypegs at home. Standing on the bankside, furious for the loss of the brolly, I decided to drive to Sweden instead. I was halfway to the border, had a full tank of diesel, and money to spend in my pockets.

There is a well stocked tacklestore a few hours drive across the border. If I couldn't get pegs, maybe I could buy a new bivvy. I wasn't that pleased with the brollystyle bivvy I already had. And a new brolly, of course. The whole idea was stupid, but it somehow made sense, right there and right then.

So off I went. A few hours down the road the daylight started fading, and I had to find a place to spend the night. I found a secluded spot not far from the road, in the middle of a residential area, and there beeing no wind, managed to erect the bivvy with the stormpoles as the only support. And what fell out of my bivvybag, but the missing brolly. But there were still the pegs.

Next morning I took off again. I planned to have breakfast at a roadside restaurant. But they had not opened for the day. A sign on the door read Opens at 10.00. How strange, I thought, and jumped back behind the wheel.

A few miled further down the road it dawned upon me. It was the midsummer weekend. And no swede work during the midsummer weekend. No shops are open. No swede over the age of consent are sober during the midsummer festival. They party from friday to sunday. Non stop.

I had just a few miles to go, I had to see for myself. The tackle store was closed. Of course it was. Later I learned that they went home on thursday night, and didn't return to work before monday morning. Still not sober, half of them.

So there I was, in the middle of Sweden, at 10 o'clock on a saturday morning. I used most of the day driving to my original destination. The Big Perch river. I arrived late in the afternoon, found the swim and had two hours of lousy fishing before the rain sat in.

To top it all, there was a national cyckle championship to be staged in the area the day after. Being afraid to get stuck in trafic, I packed and drove home.

500 miles of driving for two hours of lousy fishing. That's brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.