A really light float rod?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the old drennan im8 and im9 range. I honestly wouldn't worry about the line ratings Sam, i've used 6lb straight through on my im9's and a im8 super waggler with no prob's, caught some decent barbel etc also.
If I where you i'd keep the original sliding rings also, if they look as though they'll work slack just ad a wrap of insulatin tape round the lower one, here's apic of one of my im8 specimen float rods with tape on it just to prevent any accidents....

Some reels are rock solid in the rings, this 1915 never budges once attatched....

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Ian as an alternative to tape mate to keep them tight, use innetube from a bike.
Two ways of getting an innertube, mug some kid for his bike take the innertubes out and then give it him back. Shouldn't be a problem for a man of your talent :D
Or you could ask me for some next time we meet. This old git did the muggin for you :D

The multi-uses innertube has, no angler should ever be without at least a dozen or so cut rings of it of different thicknesses. Tube lasts for years and far better than elastic bands. Motorcycle innertube is great for laccy of pea guns as well :)

All my rods have about 20 rings of them around the base end of my butts so I've always got some if I need them.

Lost all your leads in rocks? Then tube is what you want, find a suitable pebble put two crossed bands on, attach a link and swivel instant lead... there you go fishing again!... pebble comes off, find another one MORE suitable as the rings will still be attached.

Stoz to expensive for you? Ring tubes is what you want to give you the natural look and a nice natural pebble from the river....Job's a good'en!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know there's nothing wrong with having a neat peice of tube on the corks Phil but I only need to use the tape when I use a certain couple of reels, I might give it a try though....when I get some innertube :).
I've been meaning to buy a couple of inner tubes for making more weight slings for 2yrs plus now lol. I've used stones squashed into slices of tube on and off for a while now, it is a good idea and especially for us with a river made of stones!

The bad one

Reaction score
What's this buy thing Ian? Are you getting soft in your old age? Kid muggin is the only way to go mate. Warms the cockles of my heart to see them scrike their heads off as you walk away with their bike.... eyyyyyyyeee you little bas£ard :D:D:D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What's this buy thing Ian? Are you getting soft in your old age? Kid muggin is the only way to go mate. Warms the cockles of my heart to see them scrike their heads off as you walk away with their bike.... eyyyyyyyeee you little bas£ard :D:D:D

Blimey Phil, your vicious bud....but I like it :D.

I reckon you would have been a little vicious yesterday.... two canoeists blatantly sailing through one of our clubs stretches (the sandy bank where I saw you and your nephew last) fishing out of their boat.
They effd off as I tried wading out to get to get hold of them...you can imagine what I was going to do ;).

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
"I've used stones squashed into slices of tube on and off for a while now, it is a good idea and especially for us with a river made of stones"

Not a bad idea for us tightwads with building sites nearby, either. Thanks, T.B.O.!

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Just a quick question to hijack it regarding reels, are the Stradic ci4's too light or too high a gear ratio for float fishing?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Interesting thread. Just a quick question to hijack it regarding reels, are the Stradic ci4's too light or too high a gear ratio for float fishing?
No, they are ideal. I have never fished with a better fixed spool reel.

The rod is held at the reel foot, therefore this becomes the fulcrum point so the weight of the reel doesn't really effect the balance to any meaningful extent. I have the Twinpower model with front and fighting drag and I can't praise it highly enough.

The bad one

Reaction score
Blimey Phil, your vicious bud....but I like it :D.

I reckon you would have been a little vicious yesterday.... two canoeists blatantly sailing through one of our clubs stretches (the sandy bank where I saw you and your nephew last) fishing out of their boat.
They effd off as I tried wading out to get to get hold of them...you can imagine what I was going to do ;).
I known about them Ian, I was on the next length up mate, missed them by about 15 minutes. They'd gone through by the time I got there. :mad: Didn't entirely get away scot free RADAC bailiff gave them some hump I understand :D
Oh and the Angling Trust insures kayak fishers on inland waters WTF! :eek:mg:

Andy Pet

Reaction score
Sorry for dragging this thread up but how are you getting on with the 11ft Ultralight Sam Vines? I'm toying with the idea of getting one for silvers, tench and crucians

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sorry for dragging this thread up but how are you getting on with the 11ft Ultralight Sam Vines? I'm toying with the idea of getting one for silvers, tench and crucians

It's a cracking rod for certain applications. Mine is used on small stillwaters for roach and becks for grayling. I have caught a few "nuisance" carp up to low double figures on it, but it's not something I'd recommend. I'd suggest that fish of less than 5lb are a little more realistic a proposition. The more powerful species can be a bit of a handfull much over three pounds or so. If I were deliberately targeting half decent tench, I'd be fishing with an alternative. It should be absolutely spot on for roach and crucians.

I also ended up with a couple of alternatives. I have a Drennan IM8 Super Crystalite if I need longer and lighter (action) for stillwaters. I have a Drennan Acolyte Ultra 13' which I'll use on a bigger river or deeper stillwater. Despite having the three alternatives for light line fishing for relatively small fish, I'd still take a Normark Microlight in a flash.

royd_1954

Reaction score
I have a Drennen Match pro Ultralight which is a beautiful rod to fish with. You wont be disappointed.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I also have the Matchpro Ultralight in 12 and 14' and they are a pleasure to fish with. For light line fishing with roach/crucians the target both can be held all day of necessary. I too have hooked sizeable carp on them and although not recommended they can do a job, after a fashion....
At times I've feared for the top and middle sections as fish race off, but no mishaps to date!
I'd buy another tomorrow if I had a breakage.

For tench? No, not for me as other rods way, way better suited.

edsurf

Reaction score
I have the Acolyte ultra 13 foot , its very nice for roach and grayling, very light if your trotting all day, it will manage bonus fish too, had chub over 5lb on it no probs.

Andy Pet

Reaction score
I think I'll stay with the Acolyte Ultra for the time being, the 11 footer seems to be a little too specific for the moment, although Christmas is around the corner.

sis the roach

Reaction score
the lightist and best float inmo was the old shimarno 12ft ultegra which i bought for fishing small streams and i still use it

iain t

Reaction score
You can beat the Drennan Acolyte ultra for lightness and strength. Made for the fish you are targeting. Max casting upto 4BB. Brilliant rod i would never sell mine.