Thinking about leaving carp fishing

wolfie60

Reaction score
I have become very disappointed with carp fishing due to lack of good day only weekend venues and the slow inactive style.

Looking at returning to basic pleasure angling with a single light feeder or float rod as at least I would be
1: catching more
2: not sat idle
3: still able to catch carp too
4: not fighting against the bivvy brigade each weekend

Comments ??

If all works put I will then sell off the carp gear and buy a nice seat box !!

Keith M

Reaction score
I have no idea where you are located but I would suggest getting onto the rivers, plenty of Carp and not many anglers.

Plus if you brush up on your watercraft there's plenty of other equally worthwhile species to test your abilities in the rivers too.

Keith

Last edited:

law

Reaction score
Who sais carp fishing has to be sitting around waiting for a bite?
Go stalk some fish.

wolfie60

Reaction score
Come and fish Suffolk waters and you might just change your mind about stalking !

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
If you're not enjoying what you are doing - change it.

I steer clear of busy venues as I can't stand it either, hope you start to enjoy your fishing and surroundings soon.

wolfie60

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice

I agree when it stops being fun change it

Carp fishing in the usual fashion has some amazing excitements as part of it but on average the sitting around waiting is a shame when you have only a few hours on the bank.

For me catching several sub 10lb fish is a lot more rewarding than waiting or blanking in hope of a 20Lb+ fish

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
When I can, I usually fish one rod for the bigguns (not necessarily carp) and a float rod for catching fish. This way I am busy and might just pick up a bonus fish; the most important thing is to enjoy your fishing and I genuinely enjoy spending time on the bank when catching is a bonus; I do go to catch, but I will not get upset if I don't.

seth49

Reaction score
As above one rod out for carp etc, and float fish or light feeder rod for silvers etc,
Makes the most of a day out,and keeps you busy, and if one method works well tend to concentrate on that.
Plus the carp rod moved to the margins later in the day gets me some nice carp.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I find it a bit distracting fishing two rods. I sometimes put one out for Pike with a float and a dead bait but find my eye is not concentrating on my main rod and I get a bit irritated by it. It must be mind numbing to carp fish for hours or days as some do when they are not feeding and just hoping one will come on. I will take a carp rod if I think the conditions are right and they might feed. Then I just rely on my instincts whether to fish for them, seeing them and what they are doing etc. But I will fish for them or not at all - depending. Rather than giving it up altogether maybe this approach would suit.
There's good months and good weather for carp, very low air pressures, colored water, overcast or rainy skies, southerly winds, not too hot days. Then I am tempted to take my carp rod especially if fishing a good venue for them. They can be active in other conditions but this would make feel more confident of finding them feeding. Picking your days rather than exclusively fishing for them is my preference and variety is the spice of life so they say.
Why not keep carp as part of the variety then you will not get bored with them, they make a nice welcome change in their own right sometimes.!

Last edited:

wanderer

Reaction score
Well cant disagree with any of you, carp fishing is heavily over egged, and too many carp puddles around, enjoy your fishing mate, dont sell those carp rods, just vary the venue, day tickets usually spell problems, join a syndicate or get on the rivers or canals,, nothing clever about catching carp and it can be boring, give me chub or barbell any day and tench its a no contest.

steve2

Reaction score
Give it up for a while and try some thing different. Carp fishing isn’t the be all and end all of angling. In fact to me it is the most overrated form of angling. It is now becoming so easy in many places that it as become too easy.

robtherake

Reaction score
Keep the carp gear for piking, bud; the pike can't read so they won't get put out because the rods were made for catching something else. :)

Funnily enough, I'm of the same mind as you about carping, preferring to catch anything but. However, I bought an old motorhome this year and have spent the summer touring with my family and catching carp on stocked site lakes where the fish still have lips and the knobhead count is low...and - much to my surprise - have ruddy well enjoyed it (even if it was all a bit easy!)
Like those awful TV programmes about house-hunting, it's "location, location, location." It's a simple equation: nice venue + nice people = nice time.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Another vote here for the two rod "pleasure fishing" approach - i.e. i'll fish one rod on standard float gear and the other with an avon rod on an alarm, usually with a method feeder, ideally for larger fish (tench, carp, bream).

That said, i will cut my cloth according to what's in front of me... if i'm sure that all i'm going to catch on the float set up is roach, perch, rudd etc - then i'll likely go with a 3lb bottom, a size 16 or 18 and maggots. However, if i thought i had a realistic chance of a carp or tench on the float then i'd probably go up to a hooklength around 5lb and size 14 or 12.

As has been mentioned, you can land larger fish on float gear ok.... going back a while, i never fished for carp other than float fishing, and for a long time my PB was a 12lb fish that i landed on 4lb line. The biggest point of technique to learn about when playing a big carp on light gear is the angle of the rod, relative to the fish... you need to keep the rod low to the water and apply side strain to the fish, not stick it up in the air. You can get the fish in relatively easily like this (also works with barbel and chub). The other thing is just to be realistic about your drag setting, and understand that a fish taking line is no bad thing (actually its always been one of my favourite features in playing a carp!) My view point on the drag is that you'll always have a chance to tighten it up, but you'll only know its too tight when a fish is lost - so ere on the looser side.

Of course, that doesn't really work for fishing near snags, but in that case you probably shouldn't be approaching that swim with float gear!

Then of course there's rivers! Have you got any close by?

wolfie60

Reaction score
Thanks Jim all good advice

I have the Gipping but most of the fishable parts are on a club ticket

When I did belong to the local club I did fish the Gipping and you hardly saw anybody !!

If I was using my Korum Alrounder 1.5lb Abon type rod for small to mid sized fish on the method would it detect bites used as a quiver i. e slight bend in the tip fished at an angle as I would my light quiver rod ??

seth49

Reaction score
You could just clip a butt indicator to the rod and watch that, then you can point the rod straight at your feeder or lead.
Very handy in tight swims.
I have one of the premier ones, just fixes to the rod with a O ring, and you can use any tip with the standard thread.

bracket

Reaction score
I have become very disappointed with carp fishing due to lack of good day only weekend venues and the slow inactive style.

Looking at returning to basic pleasure angling with a single light feeder or float rod as at least I would be
1: catching more
2: not sat idle
3: still able to catch carp too
4: not fighting against the bivvy brigade each weekend

Comments ??

If all works put I will then sell off the carp gear and buy a nice seat box !!

Hello Wolfie60.

Gratifing to know you have now reached a higher state of enlightenment. Welcome to the real world of angling, now enjoy it. Pete.

trotter2

Reaction score
Have a go at river fishing mate the cream being trotting IMO

bullet

Reaction score
Don't bother with them in the winter,but try just fishing for them with floating bait or fly in the warmer months.great sport can be had,especially if you can find a quiet spot away from other anglers.