Feeder fishing chair set up

wolfie60

Reaction score
Having decided to put away my carp rods and return to single rod feeder fishing I have some questions about items I may need

I have feeder rods and small bait runners
I have two fishing chairs both with round legs
I have terminal tackle
I have coming a feeder arm to fit to chair
I have small and med unhooking mat
I have 20" spoon landing net and handle

Anything major I have missed as I'm so use to carp setup

Can I use my 1.5lb Avon rod as a quiver tip ( standard tip ) when feeder fishing ?

I do have a standard quiver rod with two tips but I'm after more than silvers

Or should I fish straight with bite alarm ?

Will catch and return so no need for keep net
Pleasure fishing only hence chair not seatbox

Last edited:

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
You could use an Avon tip for quiver fishing, on rivers, you may not be after silvers but no telling you won't get them.

I would set up on alarms if your after bigger fish. Then again you could fish one standard quiver rod, and an avon on the alarms, best of both.

Good luck what ever you go with.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
If you're fishing rivers with a bit of flow you'll need a thicker tip than if you are fishing a still water.

The tip is used to indicate bites hence its softness in comparison to the rest of the rod. Use as soft a tip as you can as this will show up those shy bites better.

As for the bite alarm, that's down to personal choice; I don't use them so can't comment as to their usefulness.

The transition shouldn't be too painful, good luck and enjoy :)

law

Reaction score
So long as there isnt snags, you can land surprisingly big fish on light rods/tackle.
Ive had 20lb carp on 5lb mainline and 4lb hook link on the lightest quivertip I have. Luckily there is no snags in the lake at all and I could let it run.

john step

Reaction score
You are getting a comfy chair and it seems you are going to do a similar thing again by sitting and waiting for the tip to go round, albeit just lighter and possibly a denser stocked water??

With that avon rod why not buy a few crystal wagglers and drop your bait close in and drip a bit of light feed in. It would make a fascinating new aspect getting up close and personal having to use a quiet approach.
Another good approach to margin fishing with rod and line is to pinch a leaf out of the matchmans pole method and use a dibber pole float on running line close in and set the clutch lightly.
Lay a foot of line or so on the bottom with just a couple of no. 8 stotz to hold it steady( without the line sunk as you would a waggler) close in and await fireworks.

Just over the margin shelf preferably next to reeds etc.

It does produce good fish.

Tight lines.

Last edited:

wolfie60

Reaction score
In a way I'm sitting but feeder fishing with a method with light tackle should be more active and perhaps just focus on one rod

When in the past I fished like this I generally don't remember a time blanking but I would average when large carp fishing a blank more than catch and sitting static was lovely if I wanted a snooze but that's not exactly what I wanted.

I think the typical big fish carp fishing is ok but I haven't the patience nor the time to become a bivvy tramp again !!

Will return to big carp fishing on a less frequent timescale next year